Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
paradise7

No Soft Or Hardcopy Quotation

Anyone met any ID who refused to give you any soft or hard copy quotation?

We went to one and he refuses to give it to us and insisted its a company policy.

He only ran thru the quote verbally with us.

But we do not feel comfortable without it because there's bound to be hidden costs or some other costs that might not have been factor in or perhaps costs that he has left out. Hence we want the quote to run thru the items one by one on our own to make sure that what we need is written in black and white.

During the 1st email ball park figure quote, nothing was mentioned that there will be design costs. Even 1st meet up when he showed us the quote, there was no mention. When we met up the 2nd time, he suddenly whip out a contract indicating that apart from the overall reno quote, we have to pay a 10% design fee on top of the renovation quote which was never never mentioned prior to the 2nd meet up!

Kinda felt cheated of our time. I mean if he had been upfront about the design fee perhaps we would not have felt cheated. Just imagine if we decide to let him do the job, along the way, he might just surprise us with more costs that has never been mentioned.

He kept saying we shld trust him because the company's been in the market for long and is a case trust company. But that doesnt mean all things dicussed shouldnt be stated in black and white right? If along the way, there should be any dispute, where are we to fight the case when there is no black and white?

He was also unhappy that I questioned him item by item. But Im a paying customer! Dont I have the rights to find out and make him justify for the costs he quoted me? I need to know what Im paying for.

Just need to grumble a bit and find out what is exactly the norm among the IDs here, as in do they give you the quotation to take home?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

We went to one and he refuses to give it to us and insisted its a company policy.

But we do not feel comfortable without it because there's bound to be hidden costs or some other costs that might not have been factor in or perhaps costs that he has left out. Hence we want the quote to run thru the items one by one on our own to make sure that what we need is written in black and white.

During the 1st email ball park figure quote, nothing was mentioned that there will be design costs. Even 1st meet up when he showed us the quote, there was no mention. When we met up the 2nd time, he suddenly whip out a contract indicating that apart from the overall reno quote, we have to pay a 10% design fee on top of the renovation quote which was never never mentioned prior to the 2nd meet up!

Kinda felt cheated of our time. I mean if he had been upfront about the design fee perhaps we would not have felt cheated. Just imagine if we decide to let him do the job, along the way, he might just surprise us with more costs that has never been mentioned.

He kept saying we shld trust him because the company's been in the market for long and is a case trust company. But that doesnt mean all things dicussed shouldnt be stated in black and white right? If along the way, there should be any dispute, where are we to fight the case when there is no black and white?

He was also unhappy that I questioned him item by item. But Im a paying customer! Dont I have the rights to find out and make him justify for the costs he quoted me? I need to know what Im paying for.

Just need to grumble a bit and find out what is exactly the norm among the IDs here, as in do they give you the quotation to take home?

Firstly, I don't think he is out to cheat your time. Think about it that there are so many owner looking for more than 10 contractors before confirming and dropping others, so should we say they are "cheating the "ID/contractors time? No, its a fair market. Now its your duty to source for the right person to manage your work. If not realiable, price not right, just drop them that's all. Doing such things need time to decode and make decision. There are many ID/contractor out there, find one that suit nearest to your requirement. Certainly, I agree that if you don't feel secure with him, drop him and goes on. Indeed, you realise that you have also gain learning something new.

As to your question, you should be given either a soft or hard copy for consideration. I think this company is doing hard selling, and you are right that there might be some hidden clause that you are not aware of. My suggestion is drop them and move on.

two words, drop it... and forget about this ID.

Edited by Devilaz

There r plenty of IDs/contractors who are more than willing to give u a black & white quotation. Reno is such a complicated project, it is impossible to compare w/o quotations. If he's not willing to give, its alrite, juz search for others. We r the customers & we r forking thousands of dollars. Dun we have the rite to compare? I approached abt 6 contractors, all gave black & white quotations willingly.

forget it + those that wants you to pay some $$$ just to show you quotation or drawing...

it maybe their company policy, but then you can also have your own personal policy of not falling into such traps.

I will never trust any contractors & ID's!:dancingqueen:! Must work with them in Black & White!!

Hello all, tks for your reply!

As this is our 1st time doing reno for our lovenest, that's why I would like to find out if its the norm that IDs do not give soft / hardcopy quotes. With your replies, I've gotten the answer I want. :jawdrop:

And yes cheesecake, I had the same thinking as u! We are paying customers so I have the rights to question or clarify everything in the quote. But to which, the ID was not happy and felt that I'm not trusting him. He even insisted his company is case trust. But case trust doesnt mean there will be no black sheep employee in the company right? :dancingqueen:

Anyway, we didnt sign anything. I checked back with my frd who used them previously and they gave her a hardcopy quote at least. THere was no extra charges for the drawings too!

Maybe he tot we 1st timer so can TOK us lah! We may be green but not stupid leh.

We also kenna these kind of treatment when we are searching for ID. However we told them off saying that other company are giving us the quotation why can't u and they comply later on. :P

However some ID firm refuse to give their drawing to u scare u might copy their ideas. :(

I also had my fair share of contractors who refuses to give the quotes for us to bring home to study.

I have visited over 50 contractors/ID and pore thru > 36 quotations before I finally settled for the one that did my home.

As long as you are not happy with them, drop them from the list and go on to the next. You are the paying customer here... if you dun like what you are getting, go to the next contractor who is willing to give in to you.

There is no such thing as verbal trust when it comes to shelling out a few thousand dollars of hard earned blood and sweat money. If it is not written down, you are most likely not gonna get it. If it is not in the quote, it is not likely to be done at no cost.

Go around and search for a few more quotations before making any decision to settle for one. :yamseng:

happy hunting!

I also had my fair share of contractors who refuses to give the quotes for us to bring home to study.

I have visited over 50 contractors/ID and pore thru > 36 quotations before I finally settled for the one that did my home.

As long as you are not happy with them, drop them from the list and go on to the next. You are the paying customer here... if you dun like what you are getting, go to the next contractor who is willing to give in to you.

There is no such thing as verbal trust when it comes to shelling out a few thousand dollars of hard earned blood and sweat money. If it is not written down, you are most likely not gonna get it. If it is not in the quote, it is not likely to be done at no cost.

Go around and search for a few more quotations before making any decision to settle for one. ;)

happy hunting!

Finally I have drop one since 1st aug 07 hunting of id.

I have email to the id.

Expecting his return call very soon.

My mum feel uneasy, my wife feel no good, my sis dont like them, so how?

Drop and move on to the next contractor.