Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Monkey

Laquered Doors For Kitchen Cabinet

Can someone explain to me what is laquered cabinet door? What is the difference between laquered cabinet doors and laminated cabintet doors? Is it commonly used today?

I have a very high kitchen ceiling. 3.3m. Taking 0.3m away for my false ceiling, I have 3m of ceiling height to play with. I am thinking of making 2 rows of wall hung cabinets, and remember seeing a photo in a design magazine (for the death of me, I just can't recall which magazine and which issue it was that I spotted that photo. Basically, I do not wish to waste the height of the kitchen and do nothing.

In the magazine that I saw, the bottom row of wall hung cabinets had frosted glass doors. The top row of wall hung cabinets was all white, to blend into the white walls. I guess the ID wanted the bottom row to stand out, and recede the top row into the background. I like the look of it very very much.

Question is, do I use laquered cabinet doors or do I use white laminate? Which one is classier looking? Which one is more durable?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Lacquered simply means a clear coat of polyeurathene over the wood grain, giving the wood a very hardy surface. However, is normally used on wood grain surfaces or uneven surfaces with intricate designs. If going to be white in colour and not wood grain, then go for laminates.

A top cabinet that goes to the ceiling has many issues to consider. It will make the kitchen look a lot smaller, especially if it's those long narrow layout. It's ok if it's a big square or open concept kitchen.

Topmost doors may hit the kitchen ceiling lamp.

The height proportionality of the top cabinet doors to the topmost cabinet doors is the most tricky part. To match the bottom cabinet height, the top cabinet door height is more or less fixed. This means the topmost door will be quite short, and it will look out of proportion.

Can someone explain to me what is laquered cabinet door? What is the difference between laquered cabinet doors and laminated cabintet doors? Is it commonly used today?

I have a very high kitchen ceiling. 3.3m. Taking 0.3m away for my false ceiling, I have 3m of ceiling height to play with. I am thinking of making 2 rows of wall hung cabinets, and remember seeing a photo in a design magazine (for the death of me, I just can't recall which magazine and which issue it was that I spotted that photo. Basically, I do not wish to waste the height of the kitchen and do nothing.

In the magazine that I saw, the bottom row of wall hung cabinets had frosted glass doors. The top row of wall hung cabinets was all white, to blend into the white walls. I guess the ID wanted the bottom row to stand out, and recede the top row into the background. I like the look of it very very much.

Question is, do I use laquered cabinet doors or do I use white laminate? Which one is classier looking? Which one is more durable?

Don't ever use lacquer finish on kitchen cabinet as kitchen is a dirty and wet place. Lacquer finish is only on veneer which give cosy and natural finishes but not for wet area