Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rainpod

What Are The Proper Steps To Do Painting For House?

My contractor is doing a lousy job.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7693

I need to know what are the steps involved (besides painting from top to bottom) so that I will not vomit blood again. As mine is a resale unit that is >10 years old, is there a need to do plastering first? Current walls and ceilings are not even/smooth and there are hairlines, holes to be patched. I suppose afterwhich will be sealer and 2-3 coats of paints?

Is it too harsh a requirement if I request for straight paint line at edge of walls? I thought a masking tape will do a great job so that the wall joints and ceiling joints will look neat. Is this a normal request?

For main door frame, how to smoothen/even the surface?

TIA for all advices.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Masking tape is normal to cover laminates, or door handles, where peeling off will not damage the surface. Peeling off masking tape from a painted surface is very risky, as it depends on the quality of the plastering below as well. If it flakes off, then need to patch with joint compound and repaint, and then when u use masking tape again, the other side is now vulnerable. Also the edge of walls may not be straight. Hope u not expect painter to paint straight when the edge itself is not straight.

hi, does the painter usually change to a smaller brush when painting at edge of walls? cos mine has many obvious paints which are 'out' of zone.

hi, does the painter usually change to a smaller brush when painting at edge of walls? cos mine has many obvious paints which are 'out' of zone.

I suggest that we do not get into micro-managing to the point that owner wants a say as to "how" to paint. Shd just focus on the end result. Usually is messy roller paint and then do minor touchup just before handover.

Is expect every works to be perfect first time, the contractor sure run road, or it will never finish.

Have intention of painting the house by myself after the contractor has done up the wall plastering. Understand there is a need to apply a coat of sealant before painting, is it very tough to apply this sealant? Heard it's very smelly. True?

Anyone did all the painting by yourself? Can share your experience? Thks.

if u can spare urself like a week or so to paint the hse ...go ahead if not suggest u engage a painter.

sealer itself smells uz like paint and paints like a normal emulsion paint as well ...one layer of sealer to 2-3 layer of coloured paint depending on what colour u use.dark colours u need more layers though.

when using masking tape, go for those not very sticky types(there are) and peel off immediately after painting that particular part.wall and ceiling joint part use small brush like an inch type..

and u will realise at the end of the day ....xiong!

I suggest that we do not get into micro-managing to the point that owner wants a say as to "how" to paint. Shd just focus on the end result. Usually is messy roller paint and then do minor touchup just before handover.

Is expect every works to be perfect first time, the contractor sure run road, or it will never finish.

in fact, i went to view a few other units which are also under-going renovation. mine was the worse. Anyway, the problems were rectified after we voiced out the untidiness. apparently, if we dun voice out, that was the final 'accepted' state. urgh...

if u can spare urself like a week or so to paint the hse ...go ahead if not suggest u engage a painter.

sealer itself smells uz like paint and paints like a normal emulsion paint as well ...one layer of sealer to 2-3 layer of coloured paint depending on what colour u use.dark colours u need more layers though.

when using masking tape, go for those not very sticky types(there are) and peel off immediately after painting that particular part.wall and ceiling joint part use small brush like an inch type..

and u will realise at the end of the day ....xiong!

Thanks Stradale... Any idea what is the difference between water-based sealer and oil-based sealer? Not too sure which one to use?

Thanks Stradale... Any idea what is the difference between water-based sealer and oil-based sealer? Not too sure which one to use?

water based sealer smells better.. its easier to apply and clean up in case some got onto your floor.. but the coverage is not as good as oil based.

Water based indicates it is soluble in water, meaning that u can use water to clean your spills and your brushes. Likewise, oil based indicates it is oil-soluble. U have to use thinner to clear your spills.

My hubby and I used oil based sealer initially.. but the smell was :bleah: and it was very messy.. den after that we went to buy water base instead. I was surprised that water-based paint actually smells quite pleasant!! :P

My contractor is doing a lousy job.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7693

I need to know what are the steps involved (besides painting from top to bottom) so that I will not vomit blood again. As mine is a resale unit that is >10 years old, is there a need to do plastering first? Current walls and ceilings are not even/smooth and there are hairlines, holes to be patched. I suppose afterwhich will be sealer and 2-3 coats of paints?

Is it too harsh a requirement if I request for straight paint line at edge of walls? I thought a masking tape will do a great job so that the wall joints and ceiling joints will look neat. Is this a normal request?

For main door frame, how to smoothen/even the surface?

TIA for all advices.

after DIY painting my own EA.. I've realised its not easy to do painting.. and it very very difficult to have nice straight paint lines at edge of walls.. i tried so many times but it cant be perfect. Had tried using masking tape but the line i get has botches of paint cos some paint can still seep into the masking tape and some of the paint got peeled off after we took the tape off.. :D

water based sealer smells better.. its easier to apply and clean up in case some got onto your floor.. but the coverage is not as good as oil based.

Water based indicates it is soluble in water, meaning that u can use water to clean your spills and your brushes. Likewise, oil based indicates it is oil-soluble. U have to use thinner to clear your spills.

My hubby and I used oil based sealer initially.. but the smell was :sport-smiley-004: and it was very messy.. den after that we went to buy water base instead. I was surprised that water-based paint actually smells quite pleasant!! :D

after DIY painting my own EA.. I've realised its not easy to do painting.. and it very very difficult to have nice straight paint lines at edge of walls.. i tried so many times but it cant be perfect. Had tried using masking tape but the line i get has botches of paint cos some paint can still seep into the masking tape and some of the paint got peeled off after we took the tape off.. :(

So how many days did you take to paint your EA? Heard that there are masking tapes that are not too sticky. Don't know true or not? Will probably start to look around for paints this coming weekend! Think will use water-based sealer! Hehe!