Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Yeltsa

Ceiling Fans - Lousy Service

Just wanna warn everyone of a particular brand of ceiling fan sold commonly in lighting shops, fan shops. It starts with 'E' & ends with 'K', local brand.

Let me share my experiece with you all. Purchased fan from a fan shop and was told we could install the fans with the help of our electrical contractor. So full payment was made on the spot and we waited for the delivery. When it came, it was short of 2 regulators( the knob that adjusts the speed of the fan) (we bought 3 fans) and the light covers for 2 of the sets were wrong, instead of giving us the plain ones, they gave us ornate ones. So we called up to get it change. It took more than a week to get them to resolve the 1st issue.

Subsequently we realised that the fans were turning at different speeds (even though the were turn on at the same number on the regulators) and that the new fans were making 'rickety' noises. So again we called them up only to be told that our warranty does not cover the workman charge needed to fix the problem. According to them the fan blade's alignment was off and needed adjusting. I challenged them and said why I should pay these sum (only $70) when its under warranty. The reply was that the installation was done by an inexperienced electrician. Now as far as I know, our electrician has installed fans for my other homes and none of these had ever happened. So I don't think he is not experienced. I also explained that it is not the amount that mattered. It was the principle of things. Their warranty is bullsh*t.

Eventually we agreed to pay and they did arranged someone down to fix the problems. We did not recieve any invoice from them and thus didn't paid much attention to the $70 that was quoted earlier. However recently their office girl called me and told me to make payment and I said that I had not recieved any advice to pay and asked her to fax over to my company. That was 4 days ago. Today as I was busy with another phone call, my colleague helped me to answer their call and eventhough we said that we'll release the payment to them, they were extremely rude and felt that I was playing 'hide n seek' with them when I didn't answer their call. They even said that they'll send someone to go to my office/home to wait for me.

Even worse, they called a second time a while later and bluffed that they were from 'Starh*b' thinking I was going to avoid their call (how childish). The moment I answered the call, the very rude girl blabbered off non stop about me avoiding them, not paying up etc. Incredible!!??

Conclusion: dun use them... even if u die from the heat... you're better off with heat and the the paper fan. I told my electrician to tear the fans down tomorrow. What good are the fans when the warranty is useless. I dun wan to risk anyone sitting below or ard them.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

oh dear, did you purchase from their showroom or from those fan shops? thinking of getting this brand for my dining room leh. how?

you called the shop you bought from or the fan company's office?

if like that then i better consider other brands

thanks for the heads up

Had long heard of their warranty is all bull****.

Although in the end I still bought this brand cos my ger like one of the design. Dun think I even want to call their customer service if the fan break down, they sure chop u jaliat jaliat on the transport and workmanship. If spoilt just change a new one.

Here's the thing, the fans were purchased from a reselling company like lighting shop or fan shop. They have no direct selling arm (not that I have heard of). Of course we went thru the procedure of calling the company that sold it to us. But he said warranty in place and told us to get in contact with E****k instead...

Well you know the rest of the story liao. What really bugs me is that the pushing of responsibilites from reseller to wholesaler. Makes me wonder if other 'local' brands are like this...bullsh*t warranty.

Here's the thing, the fans were purchased from a reselling company like lighting shop or fan shop. They have no direct selling arm (not that I have heard of). Of course we went thru the procedure of calling the company that sold it to us. But he said warranty in place and told us to get in contact with E****k instead...

Well you know the rest of the story liao. What really bugs me is that the pushing of responsibilites from reseller to wholesaler. Makes me wonder if other 'local' brands are like this...bullsh*t warranty.

not all local brand are like that... I bought the Fanco brands and they are very responsive in terms of after sales and warranty... had a similar problem of blade alignment like yours...called them up and they came and fixed the problem without a hitch!

Wow! Did they charge you for their alignment work? But this Fanco is not commonly found right? Hardly seem it ard.

FANCO is very popular... infact, during my search, we came across more fanco fans than e*****k

nope, they did not charge me for the alignment work. In fact... the tech who came said my blades are a bit the lose... so he changed all 5 blades for me. Gave me 5 new blades the following week to replace the old ones... now the fan is working fine, no more creaking noises.

the e****k actually does have a showroom somewhere that does selling too. it's just not so well known.

hmmm, think i'll stick with my fanco then

and switch to fanco for my dining fan too

heard from the shop that fanco made in China while Elmark annd Cresto made in taiwan.

Dunno whether is there any big diff in their quality, but I see good review for cresto but it is more exp.

For my elmark, now still working fine.

Mmm.. me thot of buying elmark since my sis's place is using it and it seems to be quite good.

But I saw a nice Fanco fan that I realli liked so we'll see hw it goes

I brought a ELMARK Ceiling Fan in Oct 2011, now it is not working well. ELMARK charges for transport and labour even it is under warranty period. Even you carry it back, they still charge you for labour which is more costly than the parts.

Aftersales cost even under warranty is high for ELMARK ceiling fan.