Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Bathrooms Sanitary Wares Installation Day

Took 1/2 day leave 2 days ago to meet our plumbers. First time staying through a single whole process and it was really longgg (2pm-7pm). And realize there are really so many unforeseen circumstances during Reno that will just surprised us. Within that 5hrs, 2 issues occured:

1. WIW Door

We didn't know the door-guy is coming. Anyway, was happy to have work progression. However, when they finished prep-ing the WIW sliding door, they realized the worker who did the gypsum wall (WIW front panel) did not put additional wood at the right location. This additional wood is crucial to make sure the wall is strong enough to hold the whole WIW sliding door.

So they cannot install the door! :~ My ID have to ask the gypsum wall workers to come and open up that already-perfectly-done gypsum wall, add the wood, cover back & make it nice, re-paint... then can install the door. :(

2. Bathroom Mixers

I saw the plumbers trying to install the mixer onto the basin for very long. Finally, they told me the mixer's base is too small OR the basin's mixer-hole is too big... so there's a tiny tiny gap... which will cause water leakage. If they put silicone to seal it, it will be very ugly as silicone turns black very quickly. So the plumbers asked me to (i) Buy a metal ring that is to be attached to the mixer base, or (ii) Change the mixer / basins model. In other words, they cannot install my basin+mixer+mirror cabinets that day :wacko:

Till that point in time, i have no idea what is that metal ring the plumbers were talking about. Felt so lost... don't know what to do... Tried to ask the plumbers to solve it, but they have actually tried all the ways they can... but cannot be solved. Have to buy the metal ring or change mixer/basins. Called HoeKoe (Main Showroom) and a very rude person answered and is unwilling to help (despite me saying urgent) because they're closing (6pm) and ask me call the next day! After panicking for another 30mins... I checked HoeKee website for other outlets closing time. Tanjong Katong Complex outlet opens till 9pm! I called and a very nice gentleman answered and assisted me with my inquiry. He said they have the metal ring (last 2 pieces!) that I needed for my mixers, and will reserve it for me! PHEW! So I flew there immediately to purchase it. Now have to wait for ID to arrange the plumbers to come back to complete the installation.

This is how the metal ring (to be attached to mixer's base) looks like:

AD30D88F-776B-49E8-A28F-74CFCED05ED1_zps

On-site is really not fun... so much last minute issue. A valuable reno-experience.

Edited by yakult

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

At least the issue is solved!! :)

Haha Reno is really full of ticking time bombs, usually easy to solve but in that moment so lost and zzz about it.

You have put my exact sentiments into words! :D These time bombs are small matters that's easy to solve but in that moment, I just felt like :bangwall::furious::~ hahahaha...

Btw congrats on your beautifully completed Little London home!!! So much feelll & coziness with the Christmas tree by the fire place! :wub: It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Carpentry Delivery

Today I realized my ID, Mr. B, is very cute/funny. Here's why...

As this is the final 2 weeks of scheduled-reno, I have been chasing him to give me the exact dates on when will the carpentry be coming, how many days it will take to complete, when will plumbers come again etc etc etc. Yesterday, he told me by Friday should arrive and start installation. But I felt he sounded a bit sian over our whatsapp chats... giving me very one-word or vague reply. :blink:

Then today (Thursday) around 1pm, he sent me many many photos of ALL the carpentry that had already arrived at my place! And he said "surprise (+ pop-confetti emoji) !" HAHAHA! :lol:

Sneak peek...

7648D840-5A63-4DA5-92AF-336FF910FAEC_zps

3B528987-DCF1-4240-835D-B001742A7CE9_zps

He said he purposely wait until lunch time to send us the photos + gave me a call to update on the progress and what's next for the following few days. Such a wonderful & pleasant lunch time surprise! :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by yakult

Why your ID so cute? :P

Yalor! Hahaha. I hope he will continue to surprise us with speedy work progress till handover :D

Edited by yakult

Site Visit - 03.12.2015

Went down tonight to take a look at the carpentry ourselves :)

Reached at around 8pm and surprised that 1 of the carpenter was still working. He said he's trying to do more before calling it a day as they won't be here tomorrow (their boss send them to another project). Might only be back to continue on Saturday or next Tuesday to complete it :(

Anyway, we saw that the WIW gypsum wall already added wood & patch up. Need to repaint the patches & the WIW door can be installed...then the WIW installation can be completed.

This is 1/2 of the WIW done:

BEBD9535-8B36-4445-9F6D-E3A89897DE7D_zps

Edited by yakult

Yakult, like to find out more about laminated skirtings. Are you referring to those that line the bottom of the wall?

If I already have a skirting from HDB but I don't like the color is it possible to laminate them? What is the cost to laminate them? Charges by per foot run?

Yes, I also interested in your laminate skirtings... look so much refined compared to normal skirtings, which i rejected and wanted to go bare.. then I saw yours and it looks very nice..

Yakult, like to find out more about laminated skirtings. Are you referring to those that line the bottom of the wall?

If I already have a skirting from HDB but I don't like the color is it possible to laminate them? What is the cost to laminate them? Charges by per foot run?

Yes, I also interested in your laminate skirtings... look so much refined compared to normal skirtings, which i rejected and wanted to go bare.. then I saw yours and it looks very nice..

Hi Changbp, yup laminate skirting refer to those brown color thing that line the bottom of the wall. I'm not sure can you just overlay with new laminates over it. Maybe you can check with your contractor/ID? My ID throw in the skirting as complimentary item for me because we did our whole house's flooring with him... so not sure how they charge.

Lazyfatcat007, thank you for the compliment! :D Mine is Dark Walnut color on Medium Density Fiber Wood. I didn't manage to take photo of the brand & box though. Not sure have they threw it away. If I still can find it at site, will take a photo and share :)

Carpentry up, than almost ready to move in liao. :jammin::jammin:

Your ID so cute hor, will give you surprise.

Yes can't wait to move in! :dancingqueen:

Yalor very cute lor... Hope he give us more good surprises and zero bad ones.

Photo Updates :)

Black-tinted Glass Dish Rack up! Photo not very clear as kitchen lighting switch not up yet (will be attached to tall unit)
17926561-FAD8-4882-9B47-8B7DDC93E3CC_zps

Incomplete Vanity (due to the mixer ring issue)
75912EE7-43E1-45F3-92DD-D0B449DFB829_zps

1D931A24-8AD4-4020-95F6-2B5E51A32314_zps

Rainshower Sets up!
8B24FDF1-F067-4400-899F-9CF3ED9053E4_zps

3DC8A013-4C51-412E-80F1-C9A0E3A8AE1D_zps

Edited by yakult

Photo Updates :)

Black-tinted Glass Dish Rack up! Photo not very clear as kitchen lighting switch not up yet (will be attached to tall unit)

Incomplete Vanity (due to the mixer ring issue)

Rainshower Sets up!

3DC8A013-4C51-412E-80F1-C9A0E3A8AE1D_zps

Looking good!! You not going to change the meshes HDB provide in the toilet ah?