Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
koori

Clueless Single's 4Rm Reno

Yes, the hob is too close to the sink. You need some space in-between the hob and sink so that you can use that space for food preparations. For instance, after washing vegetables and meat at the sink, you need to marinate or chop/slice the washed vegetables/meat before you cook/fry them at the hob.

sink->food prep->hob

if not, you have to cross the hob.

But do not leave too much space between the sink and hob. if too much space, then if you need to wash the wok/pan after cooking, you need to carry them to the sink.

if too near the sink, water might splash onto the hob.

Thanks ya! Hmm.....Let me figure that out....how much is good for food preparation.....length of chopping board?

Drainer as in?? I am still struggling with single or double sink..... :help:

Single or Double, depends on your usage I guess.

My mom has always had a single sink, her main utensil as mentioned is the black chinese wok, so the single sink allows the wok to fit (mostly..she has this huge 17 inch wok which cannot fit fully The 14 inch one fits) and scrub that wok properly.

Cons probably is when she has stuff defrosting in the sink, you cannot wash plates/etc until whatever it is that has defrosted is taken out of the sink, else you get soap water onto your food. [no microwave in my current home, so defrosting frozen stuff is done the very 'traditional' way...aka. let it sit in the sink until ice melts. ] :rofl:

My contractor actually recommends double sink. He was saying the smaller bowl is very useful. Probably for letting dishes dry and maybe for food defrosting I guess...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I will agree with your contractor on double sink too.

If you wish to wash the wok maybe you can go for 33 or 36 inch type which is 60/40

Nice... Maybe you should try first and see how it works...

doh! Need a HDMI cable to connect the device to the TV....and it's not included in the package... :angry2:

2nd thing in the manual says 'Install' - connect item via HDMI cable to TV....and there is no cable included in the package....how clever......

And nope, it's not that I got an item with missing items. The standard package as stated on the manual is just the device, a power plug, a remote control and the manual. There are even 2 AAA batteries for the remote included but no cable. Have to go get myself a cable liao....

I could not click on 'OK' to post photo so shall paste the link here instead.

These are photos of sink with drainer. The drainer area can be used in several ways. My mum used the left drainer for food preparation, and the right drainer for drying pots/plates/utensils. My kitchen is small so I will go for only a big single bowl with left side drainer.

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=sink+with+drainer&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ls0RU53wM4aMrQf74YDIDQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=563

Edited by gemini

single sink means single-bowl sink.

double sink means double-bowl sink

drainer means a slope next to the sink.

Great explanation, I couldn't explain properly what's the drainer. Yes - it's that space next to the sink.

Edited by gemini

I could not click on 'OK' to post photo so shall paste the link here instead.

These are photos of sink with drainer. The drainer area can be used in several ways. My mum used the left drainer for food preparation, and the right drainer for drying pots/plates/utensils. My kitchen is small so I will go for only single bowl with left side drainer.

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=sink+with+drainer&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ls0RU53wM4aMrQf74YDIDQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=563

Oh, I know this one. This was what was used by mum for 20 odd years...the left side was used to put a on counter dish rack.

She just changed recently to a single bowl sink. :D

Edited by koori

Hi Koori, it's ok to do without a hood because you have a service balcony for laundry. My mum never use hood in her whole life. I intend to get one only because I do not have a service balcony and laundry area is too close to cooking area. I have to keep the clothes whenever I want to cook, and after awhile starting to get lazy and find it a chores. Thus decided to get one when renovation starts.

Edited by gemini

Hello singles, may I know if you are going for single bed or queen size bed? Space is a constraint for me. I wish I had bought a bigger unit, mine is only 85 sqm :bangwall:. I'm used to having big desk/working station, bed and wardrobe all in one bedroom and intend to keep it this way so will not have a separate study room.

Edited by gemini

Went to unit in the morning today to measure for curtain rods again...coz absent minded me accidentally left the slip of paper with the measurements I took previously in the office....haiz....

Looking on the bright side, saw more progress. Service balcony tiles are up too...Hmm..there is a open grille there..not sure what it is for...but how to cover this thing arh?

Mom who was with me says rain will come in and 'flood' my service yard if I left it like this. :no:

IMG_2052_zps77d3ec74.jpgIMG_2053_zps43e6b93f.jpg

Some of the tiles for the common bathroom are done too. Waist pouch must be belonging to one of the 2 tilers there when we visited. :D

There is another photo, but I just realised the tiles were so reflective you can see the very big me reflected there. And the shirtless tiler behind me.... :jawdrop:

Cannot post that photo. :no: Will have to retake at a later date.

IMG_2048_zps7d65a3d5.jpgIMG_2051_zpsb4c8baed.jpg

Hello singles, may I know if you are going for single bed or queen size bed? Space is a constraint for me. I wish I had bought a bigger unit, mine is only 85 sqm :bangwall:. I'm used to having big desk/working station, bed and wardrobe all in one bedroom and intend to keep it this way so will not have a separate study room.

Mine is a queen and my other room will mostly be used as study and etc usage

Damages for today ~

1. Ikea : Curtain rods / brackets/ rod finish/ curtains.

IMG_2055_zpsb5769140.jpgIMG_2054_zps1a18e91c.jpg

2. Courts - Fridge & Bed+ Mattress

Fridge : Copycat again. Got the exact same one as mom. Samsung 332 litres nett capacity, top freezer type.

Wanted a 2 door fridge mid sized fridge but there isn't much selection.Seems to have more big fridges than small ones.

Besides this Samsung, only saw one other mid-sized one by Panasonic, but it was more expensive and wasn't with inverter technology.

Here's how the fridge looks like - picture from Samsung's website

fridge_zps609e183e.gif

Bed + Mattress : Got a Max Coil mattress (Firmess : 8/10) - I like my mattress firm...I joke if there is a 10/10 mattress and the sales man from the fridge section laughed and said 'wah~as hard as stone. Like sleeping on the floor'.

I am currently using a max coil, so I'm ok with this brand.

Got a Super Single Mattress, Model is known as 'Seraphic', sales gal (was passed on to her coz she's the in charge at the bedding section) said it is orthopedically designed, latex top. Dunno the difference, but this one gave me the 'best' feeling when I laid down on it. It seemed to contour to my back. I did try other brands, even one with firmness rating of 9/10, but didn't like them.

The bed frame came FOC with the mattress purchase. Also got a pillow and mattress protector thrown in FOC. No pics to show for this. Will have to do pics later when they are delivered.

As I just posted, I am going for a super single bed. I am the type that sleeps in position A and wakes up in the same position A. So personally, a queen sized bed feels 'eerie' for me coz there will be a huge space beside which I will *never* use.

In fact when I go overseas trip and they give me queen / king sized bed in the room, I have to put my travel bag or put a pillow in that big space there...hahaha....I keep thinking *something* is there in that empty space.

Me too, will also be desk and wardrobe all in the same room....easy access mah...Haha...

There is another photo, but I just realised the tiles were so reflective you can see the very big me reflected there. And the shirtless tiler behind me.... :jawdrop:

Cannot post that photo. :no: Will have to retake at a later date.

Dont worry, just post it. It's the tilier who is shirtless, not you. :bleah:

Dont worry, just post it. It's the tilier who is shirtless, not you. :bleah:

wahahah.. the very big me can be seen leh. Paiseh.

Anyways, not a lot more lah. That pic just shows the bigger wall where you can see the pattern the tiles were laid. Basically it's 2 ivory across, followed by 2 black tile across, so on so forth...

I didn't quite understand the contractor when he called me to say 2 lines white, 2 lines black, will be nice..but I just asked him to go ahead. He's done so much more homes, I think he would know better what works...

The tile also has a wavy line pattern and the contractor also told me he will lay it so that the wavy lines go length-wise to trick your eyes that your bathroom is wider...