Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
koori

Clueless Single's 4Rm Reno

Actually your Cornices looks same same as mine leh. Seriously, I HATE them. Looks ugly to me...... :curse:

Ya lor...I don't like them either...and imagine Mr Cornice came in take one look and say 'this design at least 10+ years ago liao' [ie. old fashion.]

No choice, tear down cornices will cost a lot more money than I am willing to pay. I just did some modifications like what Alex suggested. To take out those old [and rusty] lights and seal up the 4 corners. Do the LED downlight along the longer side, 3 each - more 'modern'.

My living room is big, the other side closer to the kitchen also cornices. I just asked them to dismantle the 4 corner lights and seal up the hole, no LED downlights along this stretch.

My entire house has cornices lor. Even the bedrooms...Alex told me modify the small bits at the side will be 'easier' [ie, will cost less] than dismantling all of them. Seriously I only 'see' the cornices after the built in wardrobes were removed and all those halfway hanging bits were so very obvious.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Ya lor...I don't like them either...and imagine Mr Cornice came in take one look and say 'this design at least 10+ years ago liao' [ie. old fashion.]

No choice, tear down cornices will cost a lot more money than I am willing to pay. I just did some modifications like what Alex suggested. To take out those old [and rusty] lights and seal up the 4 corners. Do the LED downlight along the longer side, 3 each - more 'modern'.

My living room is big, the other side closer to the kitchen also cornices. I just asked them to dismantle the 4 corner lights and seal up the hole, no LED downlights along this stretch.

My entire house has cornices lor. Even the bedrooms...Alex told me modify the small bits at the side will be 'easier' [ie, will cost less] than dismantling all of them. Seriously I only 'see' the cornices after the built in wardrobes were removed and all those halfway hanging bits were so very obvious.

Ya, mine also whole of living dinning area and all 3 bedrooms. Our layout and stuff quite similar. Think a bit mirror reflection nia.

I tear them away. I calculated, if I buy LED downlights like you and seal up the 4 holes, cost is cheaper if I tear them down. lol

Of course, U will have more lights than me lah.

I rather see those cable trunkings than them. lol

Edited by ahhboi

yah. all my rooms + hall also all cornices. gotta spent $$ to remove all of them and plaster .. sigh

Oh~ took a closer look at the photo of the shower set box, it's 'rega' brand, the box has the logo at the side and labelled it a 'luxury shower set'. Looks like the shower set not from Alpha, even though the shop did sell it to me as a bundle.

Did a google search and found this at deal.com, so I think I didn't get a 'bad' deal bah. :P

http://www.deal.com.sg/deals/singapore/58-rega-rain-shower-set-easy-installation-1-year-warranty

Ya, yours definately looks much better! :bleah:

The contractor I've engaged isn't any of the popular ones being discussed in Renotalk. He renovated auntie's friend's place (ok...far enough association yet?).

Mom wanted to renovate her 20 year old kitchen and hence went asking around...haha....Mom's kitchen is done already, while mine just started...

Stuff I am doing, quoted $30K for these :

1. Hacking / dismantling stuff :

a. Wall and floor tiles in kitchen, service yard and 2 bathrooms.

b. Stove and sink support in kitchen/service balcony.

c. New entrance for BR2.

d. New entrance for common bathroom.

e. Dismantle all built in cabinetry in bedrooms and kitchen.

f. Remove all the existing bathroom accessories.

2. Kitchen :

a. Full height wall tiles

b. Floor tiles + waterproofing

c. Sink & Stove support (concrete/hollow block), cabinet doors for the support.

d. Cabinets about 10ft. One full height cabinet about 2.5 ft.

e. Quartz countertop.

f. New stainless steel pipe for kitchen, new outlet pipe for kitchen & washing machine

3. Service Balcony :

b. Floor tiles + waterproofing

c. Washing machine base

4. Bathrooms :

b. Floor tiles

c. Seal up existing entrance with hollow block. (common bathroom only)

d. Install WC, sink, instant water heater, bathroom accessories

e. shower kerb & tempered glass shower screen, concrete shower bench with tiles finish (master bathroom only)

f. stainless steel pipes

g. aluminium bi-fold door

5. Bedrooms :

a. construct hollow block wall for storeroom

b. new classic door + frame for storeroom

c. patch damaged flooring [due to the hacking done] with marble tiles

6. Others :

a. Window aluminium grilles for living, all bedrooms, service balcony

b. Wrought iron main gates

c. Polish marble flooring

d. Seal PLC downlight hole

e. labour to install ceiling / downlights

f. new casing, socket and switches for kitchen + 2 bathrooms

g. Painting wall + ceiling with all-in-one odourless

h. Supply downlights for hall (6 units)

7. Other Others :

a. Acid wash

b. Haulage fees for delivery of raw material to unit

Hi,

May i know how much are you charged for the item "Sink & Stove support (concrete/hollow block), cabinet doors for the support."? What is the total length of the support?

thanks.

Hi,

May i know how much are you charged for the item "Sink & Stove support (concrete/hollow block), cabinet doors for the support."? What is the total length of the support?

thanks.

For mine, sink and stove support [with tiles finishing] is around $1.4K. Not too sure what's the length, didn't measure it...I think this isn't quoted on per foot run basis like carpentry. :P

The length you need depends on how wide your hob and sink is, no point comparing measurements between 2 places actually...low likelihood of me and you getting the same sink + same hob. :D

The guys doing the 'wet works' have to custom make the support according to your sink/hob size. You need to buy sink/hob first, or at least get the measurements if they are not delivered yet and let your ID/contractor know so that the folks doing the works can leave the necessary space when they start constructing the concrete support. The ID/contractor will probably also ask you before they reach that stage.

Mine should be at least be 1.2 m in length [ coz my hob is 75cm wide, sink is about 52cm wide if I remember correctly... ]

Just took a closer look at the quote, the cabinet doors at this area is tied in with the kitchen cabinets. Sorry for my typo in the earlier post.

The cabinet, inclusive of doors to the sink/stove support is around $500. :D

For mine, sink and stove support [with tiles finishing] is around $1.4K. Not too sure what's the length, didn't measure it...I think this isn't quoted on per foot run basis like carpentry. :P

The length you need depends on how wide your hob and sink is, no point comparing measurements between 2 places actually...low likelihood of me and you getting the same sink + same hob. :D

The guys doing the 'wet works' have to custom make the support according to your sink/hob size. You need to buy sink/hob first, or at least get the measurements if they are not delivered yet and let your ID/contractor know so that the folks doing the works can leave the necessary space when they start constructing the concrete support. The ID/contractor will probably also ask you before they reach that stage.

Mine should be at least be 1.2 m in length [ coz my hob is 75cm wide, sink is about 52cm wide if I remember correctly... ]

Just took a closer look at the quote, the cabinet doors at this area is tied in with the kitchen cabinets. Sorry for my typo in the earlier post.

The cabinet, inclusive of doors to the sink/stove support is around $500. :D

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to see how the cabinet doors are fix up for the sink and stove support.

Just curious how much does it cost to remove the cornice ?

You've got me there. I not sure either. I didn't remove mine. Didn't ask for quotes either. :D

I think my place is challenging in that the whole room has 'rockstone' paint effect on all the walls. It's not obvious in photos, but the effect can be seen quite obviously in person.

Which is why Alex advises against removing the cornices. Likely will affect the wall if I knock off the false ceiling. Once patching is done, it will cause obvious differences with the current rockstone wall. Unless I'm willing to shell out a whole lot of more money to plaster the entire room....I heard that this will cost a few thousands?

So...I kept the cornices...LOL. Just patched up 4 holes at the corners after removing the old (and rusty) downlights.

You've got me there. I not sure either. I didn't remove mine. Didn't ask for quotes either. :D

I think my place is challenging in that the whole room has 'rockstone' paint effect on all the walls. It's not obvious in photos, but the effect can be seen quite obviously in person.

Which is why Alex advises against removing the cornices. Likely will affect the wall if I knock off the false ceiling. Once patching is done, it will cause obvious differences with the current rockstone wall. Unless I'm willing to shell out a whole lot of more money to plaster the entire room....I heard that this will cost a few thousands?

So...I kept the cornices...LOL. Just patched up 4 holes at the corners after removing the old (and rusty) downlights.

I see.

For that kind of money I think its worth it not to hack the cornice if budget is affected.

I will rather go for a more simple renovation but better items in the house (of cause must acceptable to eyes)

Didn't get a chance to visit the unit most of this week. Buried in work at office. :help:

1. Painting has been completed (more or less...except for some minor items like door frames/doors...)

My paint colors are pretty 'boring' - Sail white for living room as mentioned previously, and lilac white for all the rooms....so nothing much to show in terms of photos since they all look 'white'.

This is the MBR, can actually see a bit of lilac when it's dim and compared to the ceiling? :D

IMG_2381_zps69732728.jpg

2. Window grilles are up! Just showing a few pics for the living room grilles since they are all the same for all the rooms.

IMG_2374_zpsb584c752.jpg

Opted for silver color to match to the original silver aluminium windows which I kept.

IMG_2378_zpsa297bd22.jpg

White is a good color to make the place bigger.

The windows are frosted (Or what you call it) and provide privacy when wanted, the window grills are quite nicely installed.

Think so far the renovation should be quite smooth going, just remember to check the edges as these areas are usually the ones that is missed out by sub contractor

3. Aluminium bi-fold doors for both bathrooms done. More white!

IMG_2373_zps01ad1de3.jpg

IMG_2380_zps8737ad0b.jpg

4. Grilles in service balcony done too. The small window has also been installed to cover the open grate below.

IMG_2371_zps7ed125f8.jpg

5. Part of the gas pipe 'boxed' up ~

I don't have top cabinets so this will part needs covering up...no cabinets to hide behind. :D

IMG_2370_zps8cdaf4ae.jpg

White is a good color to make the place bigger.

The windows are frosted (Or what you call it) and provide privacy when wanted, the window grills are quite nicely installed.

Think so far the renovation should be quite smooth going, just remember to check the edges as these areas are usually the ones that is missed out by sub contractor

Renotalk forum seems to be having some problems today, kept getting error after my posting.

What should I be checking for in the edges - any pointers?