Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Renoholic

Reno-Holic Back To Back

Hi everyone !

I'm a newbie here and would like to express my gratitude to all the useful informations I have gathered from gurus through this site.

3 months ago my hubby and I have decided to take on this tedious journey of renovating our place when my mom announced that she would be renting her place out and staying with my sis. We saw this as an opportunity to renovate her place first and stay in temporarily while our current boudoir will be next in the queue. So we decided to engage an ID to take on the job in view of my kids coming exams, we foresee that we will not have the time to commit fully to the 2 projects.

Alas, little did we expect to be played out by this ID and we ended up paying through our nose renovating my mom's place. Nevertheless it was a lesson well learnt and a great satisfying experience to see the premise done up personally all by ourselves !! After much hassle I was recommended to RenoTalk and that's where I've never read up so much info in my entire life lol ! But I got to say I've learnt so much from you gurus who have worked so hard and sharing your experiences by transforming all your beautiful home which has become my inspiration ! Whenever I get too stress from renovating my current home I'll always seek refuge coming to this forum and get inspiration from you!

So here it is my mom's boudoir I have just completed...

Floor Plan of my mom's home....

gallery_56041_3_149462.png

In Original condition before renovation....

gallery_56041_8_104085.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Initially we were filled with excitement and couldn't wait for what is in store for us... so here is the last batch of original condition we have shot. I love sitting by the balcony reminiscing and enjoying the greenary !

Balcony

gallery_56041_8_271420.jpg

Living room, bedrooms staircase and vintage exterior building

gallery_56041_8_654.jpg

Beautiful view from the back door kitchen overlooking a CC's basketball court. My sons' favourite hangout !

gallery_56041_8_42101.jpggallery_56041_8_140256.jpg

So here's the start of my exciting journey... we had many ideas on the necessary walls to hack and transformed etc!! But after ID's submission of floor plan to the HDB, many hacking areas were rejected and they only allowed us to knock down the walls of the bedroom leading to the balcony. It was a bumpy start as we had to make several trips to the HDB head office and personally speak to the person in charge convincing them to approve together with our floor plan but to no avail... :dunno:

At this time my ID is already not responding much. I guess cos his ideas were being rejected and he was discouraged? Nevertheless we requested that he think of an alternative design but his response was getting slower and slower. So we ended up liasing with his appointed contractor who was fortunately a great person to deal with except that we have to tell the contractor what we want since they are technical people !!

Me and hubby cut down the quotations along the way and took over the sourcing of some suppliers like the windows, sliding door and blinds to start with. When the windows had arrived we got excited as we start to see some hope that everything will turn out ok after all. I started pouring and burying myself in home decos and other magazines for references, combing the website etc..

The living room windows and antique switches/fans are here, my bedroom doors has been scraped to create the rustic look and my walls were painted too dark. We rectified it by giving a White marbled effect over the dark walls. Couldn't wait to see my balcony windows and sliding door though. It's starting to be rather exciting after all but lots of time have been consumed with little time left to revise with my kid's when exam is just round the corner. :jawdrop:

gallery_56041_8_251226.jpg

With the help of my 2 princes, minor shelvings and debris are cleared daily along the way while hubby is at work. Thank you my boys ! What would I do without you !

OHHH and so excited my gate and window grills are here !! It turned out better than I expected !!:good:

gallery_56041_8_493572.jpg

The "copper pipe tap" didn't turn out the way we wanted it exactly but that's ok we decided to live with it as timing is a constraint. I love love the switches and how the tiles are laid though...

gallery_56041_9_345118.jpg

Have to start sourcing for blinds and other cabinets etc... pics coming up next!

Edited by Renoholic

Where did u get the swithces from?

Hi Sappyd,

I'm not sure of the switches as they were included in the ID's electrical quotation and their sources. But these old switches tripped several times and need to change a couple of times until we get the correct one. That is why we only fit the switches at certain areas. The rest of the areas we are using the normal switches. But I think you can get these antique switches at chinatown old hardware shops along the old preserved houses lane at keong siak street. I saw one a couple of years ago selling these switches. But I don't know if they are still there.

Edited by Renoholic

Next came my blinds and I'm so excited !! Again they turned out better than I've expected. My confidence grew and I can now go shopping for more accessories ...

gallery_56041_8_119976.jpg

My shoe cabinet n golden stool from Just Anthony, tissue box hand painted personally ! got a dear pal in the marble industry to cut a piece of marble slab to place on top of my antique side table for protection. And my best haul for that day issss... the lantern cage to add on to the ambience ! :jammin:

gallery_56041_8_263588.jpg

The lightings were up but we realized that we had paid through our nose as the light sourced by our ID was exorbitant ! We did not know the market then until I stumbled upon RenoTalk did I know we were overcharged. But well, good lesson learnt ! The workmanship of the light assembling was so poor that we got to get the electricioan to come down several times to refit it. Glad it was over and it turned out well after much hassle and unhappiness !

Have decided to scraped off the old paint on my staircase to give it a raw look.

gallery_56041_8_380936.jpg

Edited by Renoholic

I'm getting to enjoy this stage of shopping mixing and matching to my own style ! I really hope that the future tenants will love the place after we moved out...

My window, bamboo chicks and lightings for my balcony are finally up ! Bought a Butcher's table and bench to go along with steamboat gatherings at the balcony or just chilling out along my bay stretch of cushion upholstery enjoying the scenery !

gallery_56041_8_299253.jpg

We did up our ikea pole system and curtains. Our balcony sliding window has finally came !!! The ceiling fan is a statement and we like the matt black look of it !

gallery_56041_10_449115.jpg

Wow... very nice... I like your sink... the type on / off **** cool... good...

Lol TQ IamCool ! I actually wanted it more authentic but it didn't turned out quite like the way we wanted but that's ok we can live with it ..

Love your balcony! doesnt look like anywhere in spore... i can just imagine chilling out at the balcony and not wanting to step out of the flat!

where did you get your matt black fan? it is quiet?

Hi Sleepybeauty

my ceiling fan is from this lighting shop in Jalan Sultan. It's call Verde Lighting. U can google for address.

The brand is : Relite.

Breeze is good n quite strong. Yes it's quiet ! This lighting shop prices don't come cheap but the fan is about $150.