Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Artist123

Carpentry Work. Is It Too Ex?

I'm going to give my MBR a new look. The quote I have for a wardrobe with sliding doors, TV console with storage, a mini dresser, 2 bedside table and a book shelf. Completely no Blum system and ABS trimming for all the doors only. They use plywood but not sure of the quality.

The price is $9,500/-. I really appreciate if anyone who has done theirs before give me some advise. Thank you!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Fwah sounds a bit ex leh bro. But what is the width and height of ur wardorbe? N is urs HDB or condo? Cos for condo, prices will

generally be more expensive for the same thing as compared to HDB. For the simple fact that the working hours are much shorter.

For me, I always use I*ea as a gauge to compare. I am willing to pay more, but not too much. Simple. In ur case, I do not think

if I go the I*ea way, it will cost me $9,500 lor. Hope this helps n good luck bro!

Edited by Batman

Fwah sounds a bit ex leh bro. But what is the width and height of ur wardorbe? N is urs HDB or condo? Cos for condo, prices will

generally be more expensive for the same thing as compared to HDB. For the simple fact that the working hours are much shorter.

For me, I always use I*ea as a gauge to compare. I am willing to pay more, but not too much. Simple. In ur case, I do not think

if I go the I*ea way, it will cost me $9,500 lor. Hope this helps n good luck bro!

Thanks, Batman.

It's HDB. My wardrobe is 8 ft x 8.5 ft. Dresser 3 ft. TV console 7ft L x 5.5 ft H. Bookshelf 2 ft L x 7 ft H.

I really appreciate all the advice. The ID requested me to go to their factory today and see their quality. I must say I am quite please. They don't provide Blum system but they do include soft closing for all drawers. After amending the design and recalculation. The quote is $7800 excluding all the accessories like pullout tie hangers and baskets. I'll will post the breakdown of the quote once they email me the detail pricing.

Got the quote:

Wardrobe $2800 include 2 drawers and 2 baskets. Any addition got to top up.

TV plus dresser $3300

2 BedSide tables $900

Bookshelf with partial doors $1000

Demolition work $300

Total cost now becomes $8300.

No design or 3D drawings from ID.

ID very prompt response. Seems very eager to close the deal

----------------------

Old quote I got last month but choose not to hire cause ID is not responsive and bad attitude.

Wardrobe $3200 inclusive of all accessories

TV cum dresser $2500

Bedside tables + Bookself $1500

Demolition work $150

Total cost $7350

-----------------------

Both Provide soft closing for drawers and abs trimmings. But it's almost $1000 difference.

Actually u should try to install the soft-closing yourself, it's available on ebay or in some hardware stalls; that would make a huge difference to the price quoted... or buy the DIY soft closing set and tell the carpentor to install them for you, guess you can save at least $1000

Thanks, Pigfarm. Yes, they do charge quite ex. Just adding 2 baskets and 2 drawers, they charge me $550. There are only hanging bars from their initial quote of $2,650. :-(

Thanks, Pigfarm. Yes, they do charge quite ex. Just adding 2 baskets and 2 drawers, they charge me $550. There are only hanging bars from their initial quote of $2,650. :-(

Mine is a 12 ft L-shaped wardrobe in laminate finish cost $3,600 and i can only have normal hanging bars, and drawers. I requested for pants hanging bar and bastket, they told me i hv to pay additional. So, i told my ID firm i will buy from IKEA. They said their contractor cannot fit into IKEA measurement??? WTF

Mine is a 12 ft L-shaped wardrobe in laminate finish cost $3,600 and i can only have normal hanging bars, and drawers. I requested for pants hanging bar and bastket, they told me i hv to pay additional. So, i told my ID firm i will buy from IKEA. They said their contractor cannot fit into IKEA measurement??? WTF

ID will tell you all sorts of story to discourage you from going to your own subcontractors.

I got the following **** from my ID:

1) my own window grilles supplier...ID say if my installer remove existing windows and damage the wall/tiles etc...ID will not cover

2) my own electrician...ID say if my electrician pull the wires along the false ceiling done by ID....anything damage..ID will charge me to repair back false ceiling

3) my own aircon man...ID say aircon piping run behind ID's cabinets..ID dun guarantee his cabinets will cover the pipes completely.

4) if I buy my own tiles and my own price from the same tileshop as my ID, ID's tiler will not want to do my job as they will blame my tile quality not good (even from same shop)

the list can go on and on....its all about the money!

I started another thread on my carpentry work. It was such a big hiccups and terrible quality and workmanship. Really regretted hiring them. Read about it and avoid what I'm going through now.

I also includes lots of photos so that you'll have a clearer picture on the standards.

And the carpenters said they have done some units in Singapore and no complaints. I guess they may be 1st timer to renovate their new house and don't really knows if it's acceptable or not. I hope it's not many.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54768&st=0&p=763591&fromsearch=1entry763591

Edited by Artist123