Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mandj

Our Ecclectic Attic Renoblog

How about 2 facing rows of cabinets so that there is more space for the dining table? Unfortunately it means no gallery kitchen, but it makes for a much more spacious dining area.

I find it quite terrible that HDB didn't come up with a decent alternative before issuing the blanket ban. Mabbe can complain on KBW's fb. :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

How about 2 facing rows of cabinets so that there is more space for the dining table? Unfortunately it means no gallery kitchen, but it makes for a much more spacious dining area.

I find it quite terrible that HDB didn't come up with a decent alternative before issuing the blanket ban. Mabbe can complain on KBW's fb. :P

like this?

Screen-shot-2012-11-23-at-AM-12.15.47.png

do you also think 700mm - not enough walk space to put an island in the middle of kitchen?

haha... IDEA! although a bit kiasi to write on FB and identify myself as a dissenting dissatisfied hdb dweller... lol.

Edited by mandj

like this?

Screen-shot-2012-11-23-at-AM-12.15.47.png

do you also think 700mm - not enough walk space to put an island in the middle of kitchen?

haha... IDEA! although a bit kiasi to write on FB and identify myself as a dissenting dissatisfied hdb dweller... lol.

LOL!!

But ya, 2 rows of cabinets like what you've shown.

You may find this useful as reference for estimating walking space:

ergonomics.jpg

I kinda did a look thru for my place using the above as guide to make sure that there are no strange cramped walkways and awkward cabinets as I've seen in some reno.

Think 700 mm is definitely too cramped based on this ergonomics guide. Plus problem opening cabinets. If you need to plan the kitchen triangle, you can refer to this post: http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/what-is-an-ideal-kitchen-configuration/

LOL!!

But ya, 2 rows of cabinets like what you've shown.

Think 700 mm is definitely too cramped based on this ergonomics guide. Plus problem opening cabinets. If you need to plan the kitchen triangle, you can refer to this post: http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/what-is-an-ideal-kitchen-configuration/

yup the guide is super helpful!! ok will go down to the flat tomorrow to see... my contractor may already have started work based on the gallery kitchen and some things may be too much trouble to change. especially because of the stupid regulation issue we already change layout and orientation multiple times. hope they don't :furious:

anyway, wanted to share some furniture we were thinking of getting. went down to helping hand yesterday to hunt for wooden dining tables (highly recommend anyone looking for nice, good teak furniture to go there. prices are a steal. some similar pieces easily going for double elsewhere. haven't decided on table but will post back once we do) and realised they have other furniture also.

thinking of getting:

1. tv console

photo-12.jpg

nice? we really like it! i am just a bit hesitant to get it cos i keep worrying that there will be too much wood in our small house and that it will look cramped and smaller. but really like the console.

2. matching sideboard

photo-13.jpg

the price indicated there has been discounted ADDITIONALLY. it's a steal :sport-smiley-004:

3. first grey tufted armchair

photo-14.jpg

love the chair (: really like the papa chair and replicas of it but i don't think our budget allows. this really looks super retro but i think it needs to fit the rest of the house to see if we can pull it off or if it will match. but it was super comfy! hubby and i both sat there and marveled cos it was quite affordable too.

we also saw these:

photo-16.jpg

photo-15.jpg

that lounge chair reallllyyyyy quite retro eh - if you're after that look. could look cute in another fabric colour - we asked but they only carry in this colour, shame. if it came in quirky patterns i'd snap it up and remodel my whole living space around it lol. it's actually cheap enough to buy + reupholster but hubby said i was mad to consider doing such things. he likes readymade furniture.

Careful of reupholstery cost :) we also thought it would be only a few hundred dollars and got quotes ranging from 1000-2800 depending on what cloth is used. Patterned cloths are more expensive too.

That being said, we reupholstered our sofa and its a pretty fun experience too! Just remember it cost the same or more than a new sofa okay?

2. matching sideboard

photo-13.jpg

the price indicated there has been discounted ADDITIONALLY. it's a steal :sport-smiley-004:

wow! this is pretty! how much was it going for?

HDB just called up and said they WRONGLY APPROVED our application, they are taking it back. srsly, CAN THAT HAPPEN???????????????????????????

It's not just this incident, but our whole experience with HDB so far has been... :curse:

Will probably do the wooden platform.

Well u r not alone. Few years back, I'd applied the SBF. Got it, paid the $2K n selected the unit. Next thing we know they inform us that we exceeded income ceiling.

My point is: then y freaking make us go thru all the trouble n waste everybody's time?!?! Bottom line? To me they just take $$ n do nothing!!

Anyway congrats on ur new home n wish u all the best n smooth reno!

wow! this is pretty! how much was it going for?

I think it was about 400-500 range can't remember exactly! Thought it was a steal cos we've seen similar pieces going for much more elsewhere. Also got mid century looking writing desks

Well u r not alone. Few years back, I'd applied the SBF. Got it, paid the $2K n selected the unit. Next thing we know they inform us that we exceeded income ceiling.

My point is: then y freaking make us go thru all the trouble n waste everybody's time?!?! Bottom line? To me they just take $$ n do nothing!!

Anyway congrats on ur new home n wish u all the best n smooth reno!

Wow bro if that happened to us we will also be super angry. I totally agree sigh and can't stand it how all their rules are all discretionary - depends on officer you get looking at your case.

Thanks! We went through the usual stages - anger/angst > depressed > resigned. Now just resigned to it lol and working around things - hope its smooth sailing from now on!

Careful of reupholstery cost :) we also thought it would be only a few hundred dollars and got quotes ranging from 1000-2800 depending on what cloth is used. Patterned cloths are more expensive too.

That being said, we reupholstered our sofa and its a pretty fun experience too! Just remember it cost the same or more than a new sofa okay?

eeps thanks for the headsup. 1000 is really very :bleah:. just saw your sofa and love its new look... maybe for our next place we consider? haha i think i have itchy fingers, just want to DIY/customise everything

20121129-094033.jpg

We went to choose tiles for the area that used to be the storeroom over the weekend. Had no time to post earlier! We're going to get something different because we wanted it to act as a divider and to add some colour. Found this shop (an huat trading) from previous renotalk threads (thanks ValerieLow) and thought the tiles were perfect! Not cheap though.

And guess what they also had:

20121129-094612.jpg

Terrazzo! They said they were the only shop in sg with terrazzo still. So now we know where to find it :) unfortunately they didn't have the same terrazzo as my house.

Can't wait to see how my tiles turn out! Hope it won't be toooo mismatched. I'm second guessing a lot of my choices with regards to the house.

We also bought fans, lights and electrical appliances. Very fruitful trip

Edited by mandj

Which design did you choose? Can't wait to see how the tiles turn out on your floor ^_^

Hehe I chose bottom left tiles!! Super excited too (: was eyeing those when I saw on your tblog and when I went down, didn't find anything I liked more. You know I just saw the cement patterned tiles that day at mbs food court! It was on the wall and the floor was some terrazzo looking tile - a bit of affirmation. Heh.

Also really love your home and the cozy feel (: intend to do a lot of handmade stuff for my place too... For my wedding hubby had to stop me from trying to DIY everything haha