Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
princessandhergeek

Memoirs Of A Princess And Her Geek

Hi Princess

Wanted to pm you but not sure why couldn't get through. Do you happen to know any tilers good at doing rectification work for grouting issues? I think I must be one of the rare ones with so much problems with flooring. :bangwall: My living room and kitchen area grouting has so many holes after the second acid wash (he washed again after changing the uneven tiles and ugly skirting) that I think the only solution may be to dig out all the grout and redo. But I don't trust this guy any more and thought of finding another tiler to take a look and recommend the best action.

thanks

originalbread

hi nilegna!

Welcome to RT and to Damai!! there are a few reputable ones in renotalk =) there's K, Jaskel, Alan and of cox there's Roy~ (pardon me if I've left anyone out).. it'd be best if u can approach these people for a quote and a meet up to understand what they can do for u.. in the end it's up to how comfortable u r with them and whether their price is right.. and of cox - request to see their past works (to see the workmanship) and also to see their style (some are better at doing certain styles..).. have fun in your reno journey!! =D have PM'ed u our contact in case u need =)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi girl, how is the issue with the ants? Hope they are rid off!

hi kenjo!

i still see random ants (same family as the previous ones (all red and small) around :bangwall: any more ant poison i think there is no more walking space lol.. stupid ants.. they are moving in before us!! :furious:

ur side got any problems?

Hi Princess

Wanted to pm you but not sure why couldn't get through. Do you happen to know any tilers good at doing rectification work for grouting issues? I think I must be one of the rare ones with so much problems with flooring. :bangwall: My living room and kitchen area grouting has so many holes after the second acid wash (he washed again after changing the uneven tiles and ugly skirting) that I think the only solution may be to dig out all the grout and redo. But I don't trust this guy any more and thought of finding another tiler to take a look and recommend the best action.

thanks

originalbread

Hi bread!

actually i duno which tilers will be good for rectification work wor.. i probably am able to get some contacts (i have some friends in the renovation line) but i am not sure of how good their contacts are at the job.. aiyo how come ur tiling got holes?? o.o i dun think the acid wash has been done for ours yet.. still a bit dirty.. now that u say.. i'm worried too o.o rawrr!

but anyway, i realised that my edges are the same as urs!! but not obvious and not sharp or rugged.. cox the tiler put the similar colour grout over.. in the end at this stage where carpentry is half up, we also never mention this to Roy.. i suppose it's ok since it's not so obvious or sharp.. o.o

Update: Caesarstone 2141 went up~!! chose colour for backsplash glass too >.< (non white or black, hopefully the colour chosen will pay off!), finally finalized the drawings for the toilets as well... but there's a hiccup with the wardrobe cabinetry due to the 'bifold' type of door we wanted.. sigh not sure if we have to forgo it in the end.. wardrobe cabinetry is up as well.. will be taking more pictures to post soon!

Also started hunting for furniture.. went to many places.. and some shops had very nice things~~ My geek n i were sorely tempted to just pay the deposit for some of the sofas, but thankfully didn't commit and came back home to do research first.. Comments as below:

1. Kuka (fell in love with a sofa there (duo toned) with a ottoman to match; unfortunately, reviews of them (previously Montella) were ULTRA bad =( it's all on renotalk 8| ( )

2. Winter International (Wanted to buy a customised sofa there (it was everything we wanted, the softness of the sofa, full leather, high back rest (can be adjusted to hide head rest), duo toned, wooden legs (punggol items tend to rust.. and although sandpapering and the autosol (spelling wrong?) can help, din wan to be rubbing the sofa legs); BUT Winter, Red Apple, Mode Studio are all the same family - VERY BAD reviews... 8| )

3. Cellini (love the caesarstone tables there (the parkmall branch has more range than the branch at furniture mall (plus furniture mall lady has an attitude problem), but design can't seem to match our house... leather sofa wise, din dare to buy from them as we've heard of Cellini sofas peeling within 2 years :bow: )

4. Air Division (loooooveeee the items there, but taj sofa has been phased out and we were so depressed we din wan to see other things there.. oh ya, and the price is really expensive as well o.o)

5. Grafunkt (loooooveeee the items there too, but totally can't find our design.. theirs seem more appropriate for scandi/ mid century modern and such.. but ours is leaning more towards modern contemp)

6. Massimmo (took a ultra fast spin and came out, items were nice, but price is totally out...)

7. Lorenzo (items look good, salesperson didn't hard sell, might buy from there eventually)

8. Novena/ Nova/ Vhive (have been hearing horror stories about quality of items there, so decided to skip these even though we did go and shop around in these places.. some items (SOME) looked nice and were reasonabl priced, but.... skipping them)

9. Wynn (first came across them at expo, then at FM, liked their fabric sofas quite a lot, but thinking of maintaining the fabric sofa gives me headache (have to wash the outer covering)

10. Shop at FM (forgot the name) (we were interested in a fabric sofa there, had a *****, but.........fabric....)

11. Hommage Trading (didn't have high expectations, so was very pleasantly surprised.. some items looked good and they had quartz table! (but delivery for the table we wanted is in april 2013 :jawdrop: items there were nice though, might buy from there eventually!)

We've been shopping at IMM, FM and Kaki bukit area.. yet to go Sungei Kadut (duno whether should go)

Shout out for help! Anyone knows where we can get quartz table or leather sofas?

Thanks!!!

Hi bread!

actually i duno which tilers will be good for rectification work wor.. i probably am able to get some contacts (i have some friends in the renovation line) but i am not sure of how good their contacts are at the job.. aiyo how come ur tiling got holes?? o.o i dun think the acid wash has been done for ours yet.. still a bit dirty.. now that u say.. i'm worried too o.o rawrr!

but anyway, i realised that my edges are the same as urs!! but not obvious and not sharp or rugged.. cox the tiler put the similar colour grout over.. in the end at this stage where carpentry is half up, we also never mention this to Roy.. i suppose it's ok since it's not so obvious or sharp.. o.o

Its ok. I think if no choice I will just have to insist that the main con get his man to do it. I think as long as you get them to do the required rectification before the acid wash, so that its only washed once, should be safe. My grouting holes only became obvious after the second acid wash, which I don't understand why he must do it just becos he changed some tiles and the skirtings. I posted a photo of the grouting hole at the T-blog.

I think for tiles that are cut 90degrees rather than a bit round at the edges, it is more difficult to make it feel very even. But if acceptable, just leave it. else when they change the tiles, the grouting color may look different.

think should give sunget kadut a try.. bought my furnitures from there for my parents house.

thanks devian! ya i heard sungei kadut has a lot of furniture shops.. but i have also heard horror stories about some of the shops there.. i've never been there though.. do u noe what to expect? is it like a mall? or a whole row of shophouses?

>.<

Its ok. I think if no choice I will just have to insist that the main con get his man to do it. I think as long as you get them to do the required rectification before the acid wash, so that its only washed once, should be safe. My grouting holes only became obvious after the second acid wash, which I don't understand why he must do it just becos he changed some tiles and the skirtings. I posted a photo of the grouting hole at the T-blog.

I think for tiles that are cut 90degrees rather than a bit round at the edges, it is more difficult to make it feel very even. But if acceptable, just leave it. else when they change the tiles, the grouting color may look different.

hmm just saw ur photos - headache for u too =( ya we are gonna leave it too >.< our acid wash hasn't been done, so i think we will need to see what happens.. if u get them to redo the grout as u mentioned, will they charge additional?

They have a furniture mall there which comprises of 3 lvls of furniture shops.. but outside along the roads... are all their individual brands factory outlets eg. brighton, star furniture, novena, etc.. normally i buy from brighton but u will be spoilt for choices and definitely can bargain n customise...

thanks devian! ya i heard sungei kadut has a lot of furniture shops.. but i have also heard horror stories about some of the shops there.. i've never been there though.. do u noe what to expect? is it like a mall? or a whole row of shophouses?

>.<

hmm just saw ur photos - headache for u too =( ya we are gonna leave it too >.< our acid wash hasn't been done, so i think we will need to see what happens.. if u get them to redo the grout as u mentioned, will they charge additional?

I think mine exceptional case (exceptional bad luck). so dun worry, most people's flooring is fine. there may be some small holes appearing but not supposed to be as extensive as mine. no, they will not charge additional, becos the contractor in the first place suggested redo the grout to solve the uneven grout color. but then after that, he say maybe just partial dapping with acid can make the color more even. so I ok with his suggestion but now do until like this, maybe still have to redo grout... :bangwall:

Hee! Hub n my eyes were set on a U shaped sofa from Kuka too!!!! Price isn't cheap.. We saw it from Picket and Rail at IMM.. They're one of e distributor for Kuka oso.. E salesperson there was very nice n not pushy.. She oso advised us to maybe pop by another showroom at ubi to look at e sofa.. But then................. We realized e founder of Kuka is from China n their factories are mainly from China.. So we're pretty confused whether e sofa is from China or like wat e salesperson say, from Germany.. Haa!

Update: Caesarstone 2141 went up~!! chose colour for backsplash glass too >.< (non white or black, hopefully the colour chosen will pay off!), finally finalized the drawings for the toilets as well... but there's a hiccup with the wardrobe cabinetry due to the 'bifold' type of door we wanted.. sigh not sure if we have to forgo it in the end.. wardrobe cabinetry is up as well.. will be taking more pictures to post soon!

Also started hunting for furniture.. went to many places.. and some shops had very nice things~~ My geek n i were sorely tempted to just pay the deposit for some of the sofas, but thankfully didn't commit and came back home to do research first.. Comments as below:

1. Kuka (fell in love with a sofa there (duo toned) with a ottoman to match; unfortunately, reviews of them (previously Montella) were ULTRA bad =( it's all on renotalk 8| ( )

2. Winter International (Wanted to buy a customised sofa there (it was everything we wanted, the softness of the sofa, full leather, high back rest (can be adjusted to hide head rest), duo toned, wooden legs (punggol items tend to rust.. and although sandpapering and the autosol (spelling wrong?) can help, din wan to be rubbing the sofa legs); BUT Winter, Red Apple, Mode Studio are all the same family - VERY BAD reviews... 8| )

3. Cellini (love the caesarstone tables there (the parkmall branch has more range than the branch at furniture mall (plus furniture mall lady has an attitude problem), but design can't seem to match our house... leather sofa wise, din dare to buy from them as we've heard of Cellini sofas peeling within 2 years :bow: )

4. Air Division (loooooveeee the items there, but taj sofa has been phased out and we were so depressed we din wan to see other things there.. oh ya, and the price is really expensive as well o.o)

5. Grafunkt (loooooveeee the items there too, but totally can't find our design.. theirs seem more appropriate for scandi/ mid century modern and such.. but ours is leaning more towards modern contemp)

6. Massimmo (took a ultra fast spin and came out, items were nice, but price is totally out...)

7. Lorenzo (items look good, salesperson didn't hard sell, might buy from there eventually)

8. Novena/ Nova/ Vhive (have been hearing horror stories about quality of items there, so decided to skip these even though we did go and shop around in these places.. some items (SOME) looked nice and were reasonabl priced, but.... skipping them)

9. Wynn (first came across them at expo, then at FM, liked their fabric sofas quite a lot, but thinking of maintaining the fabric sofa gives me headache (have to wash the outer covering)

10. Shop at FM (forgot the name) (we were interested in a fabric sofa there, had a *****, but.........fabric....)

11. Hommage Trading (didn't have high expectations, so was very pleasantly surprised.. some items looked good and they had quartz table! (but delivery for the table we wanted is in april 2013 :jawdrop: items there were nice though, might buy from there eventually!)

We've been shopping at IMM, FM and Kaki bukit area.. yet to go Sungei Kadut (duno whether should go)

Shout out for help! Anyone knows where we can get quartz table or leather sofas?

Thanks!!!

I didn't see any but I accidently left food on my dining table yesterday! Bought sardine puffs from the coffee shop downstairs. Blinds r going up today!

hi kenjo!

i still see random ants (same family as the previous ones (all red and small) around :bangwall: any more ant poison i think there is no more walking space lol.. stupid ants.. they are moving in before us!! :furious:

ur side got any problems?

I found this lovely shop Dian Sanctuary in Balestier. They do customised sofa, as in... U bring them a pict of the sofa u want... They will match it to a T according to ur preferences. So if u really like Taj, u can consider them. But not cheap though.

On a sidenote, we just got our fabric sofa yesterday! Love love it!

Thanks!!!

Edited by kenjo

Hi! Just wanted to say thank you for sharing so much info! Have been quietly reading the thread for updates... Hope it'll be our turn soon and all these info can come in handy. :)

Good luck on the remaining stuff! :D

Hi Princess,

We bought our leather 3 plus two from courts megastore 5 years ago and it is still in reasonably good condition.

It is in cream colour, still not torned from everyday usage, the seats are still firm and comfort level is the same.

My girlfriends who come by does not believe it is a five year old sofa. It cost me about 2k back then. Comes with spring support.

Hope this is helpful. :yamseng: