Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yokechye

Our First Home Sweet Home

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

haha we have paid at least half a million dollars for the flat, and since HDB prides itself to provide "quality standards", they'd better make sure that they really live up to their self-proclaimed name! My wife and I are really very upset by the horrible quality of our flat. Even our front door is of a totally different color tone than others, and the bathroom mosaic tiles are cracked! And the toilet bowl interior are stained with unidentified brown stains. These are just the tip of the iceberg!

We are staying at 61B, 4-room, got it from the recent SOBF exercise last year, how about you?

Hello...I'm from strathmore green too..

Do remember to check the window glass for scratches, and door too.

btw u spending half a million dollars, and u keeping the ugly orange tiles?!...and the ugly toilet bowl n basin!!

for us, we'll be re-tile all the toilet and kitchen area....really can't stand the cheap looking school canteen orange tile.

since we are spending half a million, no point save $ on the reno.

Btw u realize that there are lots of elderly in the neighbourhood?

coz strathmore green won some award for elderly friendly

www.bca.gov.sg/newsroom/others/pr18042011_UDAB.pdf

Hello...I'm from strathmore green too..

Do remember to check the window glass for scratches, and door too.

btw u spending half a million dollars, and u keeping the ugly orange tiles?!...and the ugly toilet bowl n basin!!

for us, we'll be re-tile all the toilet and kitchen area....really can't stand the cheap looking school canteen orange tile.

since we are spending half a million, no point save $ on the reno.

Btw u realize that there are lots of elderly in the neighbourhood?

coz strathmore green won some award for elderly friendly

www.bca.gov.sg/newsroom/others/pr18042011_UDAB.pdf

You're going to do an overlay of the tiles for both kitchen and bathroom? I am also toying with this idea, but i am concerned that the space will be even smaller, esp the bathroom, even though it may just be a couple of centimeters or so. Haha i wish i have more cash to spare to do a really good reno..

@yokechye: likely will choose conventional electric heaters, cos we dont intend to have PUB gas in our house even for cooking (my wife says it's safer haha). No i haven't found a contractor yet. will likely start asking for quotations this weekend already. i'm just concerned that hdb may take a long time to finish rectifying the defects as well as do the leveling of the floor. i heard from my wife's colleague that hdb took 3 months to finish rectifying the defects in his house! I was told to keep calling to push them to take action or they might sit on it for a long time.

Lastly, option 3, totally dun wan aircon for living room since we are having ceiling fan!

Now we are in a dilemma, To install aircon or not to install aircon in living room.

Have a cousin staying at Blk 48 #23 floor. The house is soooo windy throughout the year that she has to keep her windows shut most of the time cos things are flying all over the place. Looking thru your blog, noticed you are staying at high floor too :good: :good: Is your place as windy? Then don't think you'll need AC for living room :P .

@yokechye: likely will choose conventional electric heaters, cos we dont intend to have PUB gas in our house even for cooking (my wife says it's safer haha). No i haven't found a contractor yet. will likely start asking for quotations this weekend already. i'm just concerned that hdb may take a long time to finish rectifying the defects as well as do the leveling of the floor. i heard from my wife's colleague that hdb took 3 months to finish rectifying the defects in his house! I was told to keep calling to push them to take action or they might sit on it for a long time.

Hope mine wont take 3 mths! that is very long! btw which floor you at? your's 85 or 90 sqm?

Have a cousin staying at Blk 48 #23 floor. The house is soooo windy throughout the year that she has to keep her windows shut most of the time cos things are flying all over the place. Looking thru your blog, noticed you are staying at high floor too :good: :good: Is your place as windy? Then don't think you'll need AC for living room :P .

these few mths the wind will be from the South, so won't get much wind. However, there are more mths with Northern wind compared to Southern throughout the year, iirc, so hopefully can be windy.

We have decided not to install air-con. We thought about it and asked ourselves, how many times are we switching on the living room aircon? Probably only during some house event. :sport-smiley-018:

finally, defects rectification almost completed. Started some discussion with my contractor and went to look for floor tiles today at SBH.

Living room tiles. We like bright bright space. so choose this slight off-white

img201207071658551.jpg

White tiles to overlay the ugly orange wall tiles in the kitchen exposed area after installing the cabinets.

img201207071708021.jpg

Finally settled your defects :yamseng:

Hope to c your reno pics soon

Hope mine wont take 3 mths! that is very long! btw which floor you at? your's 85 or 90 sqm?

good to know that your rectification is finally completed! mine just started only! i'm on the 3rd floor, likely directly below you seeing the window pics that you posted, same view just much lower haha

looking forward to see your reno progress!

good to know that your rectification is finally completed! mine just started only! i'm on the 3rd floor, likely directly below you seeing the window pics that you posted, same view just much lower haha

looking forward to see your reno progress!

Can i drop by see see ur reno next time? Btw will u be using gas or electrical heater?

I'm also a fellow strathmore greenie staying @ ur block! My reno should be complete in 2 week's time, enjoy the renovation process!

Which floor you staying? Scarly i peep in before when i was walking down every floors to see reno. Hee

My new kitchen wall tiles are here! gone will be the orange ugly tiles

p1020849g.jpg

Also my shiny living and bedroom tiles

p1020851s.jpg

Materials my contractor brought to my house over the weekend

p1020852r.jpg

p1020858qg.jpg

Tiles was selected at Soon Bee Huat

201207072136e.jpg

First 2 are the floor tiles. I think the one we selected was the left most. Both are almost the same except the middle one is slightly brighter.

Right most is the kitchen tile. Our theme mostly white

Edited by yokechye