Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jshome

Not An Em, Just A 5Am

You can consider installing the servo-drive for Aventos HF lift up system; set you back about $900.

In fact for all the Aventos lift up system, you need to have some allowance space in-between the ceiling and the top of the top cabinet.

I will not be using any servo system, it's over my blum budget already :P

I have called up blum office and was told that for my cabinet width using HF system, I need to give 385mm allowance, but I only have 30mm allowance. So I'm changing to two layer normal lift up system and also give slightly wider allowance on top.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Polyester SS vs half acrylic vs full acrylic vs quartz

I'm really concern about the material used for our surface, especially our huge odd shape island (2.8m L x 1.3m W)

I do not wish that this island becomes an eye sore over the years. Previously, we had Red SS, and just few years, there are water marks, heat marks, stain marks and many white scratches, to cover the unsightly, we have to put stuff/mat/etc to hide it. It must be some low quality SS that our previous contractor source for us.

This time round, we want to be extra careful and not regret later. We have decided to go for white surface so least scratches will not be obvious, but how about stain??

We are also concern about the cost, so far half acrylic (Cresto $90/sqf) seems to be within our budget. We are not sure if we should spend a little more for full acrylic or even quartz. Our IDs suggested Cerata, it's polyester, and we are not quite convince!

Anyone who have used half acrylic SS can give feedback?

I will not be using any servo system, it's over my blum budget already :P

I have called up blum office and was told that for my cabinet width using HF system, I need to give 385mm allowance, but I only have 30mm allowance. So I'm changing to two layer normal lift up system and also give slightly wider allowance on top.

See my top cabinet allowance.

14829972.jpg

I'm really concern about the material used for our surface, especially our huge odd shape island (2.8m L x 1.3m W)

I do not wish that this island becomes an eye sore over the years. Previously, we had Red SS, and just few years, there are water marks, heat marks, stain marks and many white scratches, to cover the unsightly, we have to put stuff/mat/etc to hide it. It must be some low quality SS that our previous contractor source for us.

This time round, we want to be extra careful and not regret later. We have decided to go for white surface so least scratches will not be obvious, but how about stain??

We are also concern about the cost, so far half acrylic (Cresto $90/sqf) seems to be within our budget. We are not sure if we should spend a little more for full acrylic or even quartz. Our IDs suggested Cerata, it's polyester, and we are not quite convince!

our contractor quoted us samsung full acrylic at $91-92 per feet.

best go for the better acrylic tops if you want.

i am actually considering quartz top. i reluctant to take granite coz only black galaxy cannot see the water marks etc.

You can check my purchase price in HDB website :notti:

Orh... you are on the other end :) DTL will be up in around 2016... yippy yippy! :dancingqueen:

sigh.....checked.....200k more than what i can afford. i've to be contended with crossing the overhead bridge to use the park. in 4 years, i can use the aircon underpass.....yippy.....

talking about DTL3, the contractor and NEA must be sick of getting calls from me whenever they do not stop work at 10pm. one neighbor was so pissed that he placed a notice encouraging us to call and complain, since the main-con and NEA has to log every complaint.

I can guaranty you that you wont be happy with your 100% acrylic top after a few years.

Quartz is the only way to go but it is expensive, i paid my 16 ft X 20mm thickness for $4000.

Polyester is the lousiest and cheapest; some call it half acrylic, in fact is 70% polyester & 30% acrylic.

Acrylic is slightly higher grade than 70%/30%; brand like LG Hi-mac is quite popular.

Granite is natural stone, pores so is easily stained by water or oil, can waterproof and oil-proof but expensive process.

Quartz is the best, non-pores, very low maintenance, heat resistance, stain resistance, scratch resistance.

Edited by taichipanda

if really can afford, of course quartz is the best. I have heard all good things about it but only if you want to spend that kind of money.

I am using 100% acrylic which i am very happy with. it have sparkling spots which looks wonderful when my dining chandeliers are on. and my contractor got the 100% acrylic for $90 per feet run (1ft x 600mm as most kitchen cabinet have depth of 600mm)

why don't you put your width of island to 1.2m? that would means about double the price. Cos if you have it at 1.3m, then they will charge you 2.5x the price (ie if $90 per feet run, then 2.5 x 90 = 225, and you are wasting 0.2m). But if you are doing it 2.8m x 1.2m, then you are paying what you are using.

We are inspired by architect Daniel Libeskind!

i am really curious about ur railing.. what sort of material is it? does it have smooth finish?

it looks really nice..! i decided to stick with those conventional railings coz i will have 3 young kids using the stairs.. but look so.. so... urghhh! =x

See my top cabinet allowance.

14829972.jpg

My cabinet goes all the way to the ceiling, just like yours at the back. A good thing about blum hinges is that you can stop at any position so no need to worry that it will hit the ceiling.

our contractor quoted us samsung full acrylic at $91-92 per feet.

best go for the better acrylic tops if you want.

i am actually considering quartz top. i reluctant to take granite coz only black galaxy cannot see the water marks etc.

Wow price is good!! Im also considering quartz but colour very limited and the white that we wanted has a tiny dots of grain.

I can guaranty you that you wont be happy with your 100% acrylic top after a few years.

Quartz is the only way to go but it is expensive, i paid my 16 ft X 20mm thickness for $4000.

Polyester is the lousiest and cheapest; some call it half acrylic, in fact is 70% polyester & 30% acrylic.

Acrylic is slightly higher grade than 70%/30%; brand like LG Hi-mac is quite popular.

Granite is natural stone, pores so is easily stained by water or oil, can waterproof and oil-proof but expensive process.

Quartz is the best, non-pores, very low maintenance, heat resistance, stain resistance, scratch resistance.

Thats means your quartz is at $250 per foot run!! :jawdrop:

Seems like all of you have high recommendation for quartz. I shall further explore this and ask my contractor to quote me the full cost for kitchen, island and vanity top.

if really can afford, of course quartz is the best. I have heard all good things about it but only if you want to spend that kind of money.

I am using 100% acrylic which i am very happy with. it have sparkling spots which looks wonderful when my dining chandeliers are on. and my contractor got the 100% acrylic for $90 per feet run (1ft x 600mm as most kitchen cabinet have depth of 600mm)

why don't you put your width of island to 1.2m? that would means about double the price. Cos if you have it at 1.3m, then they will charge you 2.5x the price (ie if $90 per feet run, then 2.5 x 90 = 225, and you are wasting 0.2m). But if you are doing it 2.8m x 1.2m, then you are paying what you are using.

How about the thickness?? My 1.3m is the width but have not added the thickness of 30mm. So if i add the thickness means they have to charge me 2.5 times??

sigh.....checked.....200k more than what i can afford. i've to be contended with crossing the overhead bridge to use the park. in 4 years, i can use the aircon underpass.....yippy.....

talking about DTL3, the contractor and NEA must be sick of getting calls from me whenever they do not stop work at 10pm. one neighbor was so pissed that he placed a notice encouraging us to call and complain, since the main-con and NEA has to log every complaint.

Prices have went up alot compared to last yeat when you signed!

The DTL actually pass thru my balcony, i'm lucky that the construction is underground and will not create noise or dust, but there's a pte ppty construction going on nearby! How do you tolerate the noise?? I think i will go crazy...

How about the thickness?? My 1.3m is the width but have not added the thickness of 30mm. So if i add the thickness means they have to charge me 2.5 times??

I don't think you can choose thickness. It should be standard.... It looks like 30mm but there is a layer of wood. So it's should not be 30mm of solid surface.

I cannot imagine how much yr island will cost if you use quartz.

i am really curious about ur railing.. what sort of material is it? does it have smooth finish?

it looks really nice..! i decided to stick with those conventional railings coz i will have 3 young kids using the stairs.. but look so.. so... urghhh! =x

Its milled steel, all the joints are welded together and surface suppose to be smooth. There are still some parts not polish smooth yet.

We did not want railing as we are afraid that our children will climb on it and didnt want glass either.

I don't think you can choose thickness. It should be standard.... It looks like 30mm but there is a layer of wood. So it's should not be 30mm of solid surface.

I cannot imagine how much yr island will cost if you use quartz.

What I meant is the 30mm drop? Do we have to take that into consideration? Meaning if max width allowance is 1.2m, then with both side 30mm drop, my island width should not be more than 1.14m??