Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jshome

Not An Em, Just A 5Am

Finally decided to start my own T-blog. I guess with T-blog, it will help speed up my reno progress in some decision making. We are having a really tight schedule. We need to move out from our current place in 1 mth time and our new house reno have not started yet. I have given my IDs 6weeks or the most 8 weeks, but now we are left with 4 weeks. Got to find alternative accommodation soon :(

We are also quite slow in our research. This forum has given me alot of info but I'm too overwhelmed by it as well. So I hope reader can help me in the progress as well. It will also be a place for me to pen down my thought and a reference point thru' out the renov.

Well, here we go....

It took us months in searching our ideal place, and this unit was quite a fast one. We decided on the 1st viewing, or rather my little princess decided. She has been nagging us thru' out the day, asking us when we are can move in!! Since both my SO and I love that place too, we decided to get it.

It is not an EM, but a 5A Maisonette, so smaller balcony and without the 4th bedroom. This is their current floorplan, with open kitchen, bedroom cum study and a combined huge bathroom.

FloorPlanModified.png

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The 1st research we did... flooring!

We have more or less decided on Allure resilient vinyl flooring for the whole lower floor. This is the closest to parquet and meet our requirement.

We love parquet, we have parquet flooring in our current house, however, with 2 kids in the house, maintenance will be very "siong".

We like the soft flooring compared to tiles, also because of the kids. They play, they fall and they knock themselves quite frequently.

They spill food and drinks too, so it must be water resistant.

With the above requirements, we have narrow down to resilient flooring. The only problem is there have limited selection.

In fact, we did not research on other vinyl flooring, I might just head down to Formica and look at their vinyl floor and do a comparison.

The only item we have purchase

Philips Smart LED TV

46PFL6606H_12-A3P-global-001_lowres.jpg

My SO decided on this brand purely for aesthetic reason. It has a very nice sleek look!

We got one 40" for the MBR and 46" for the living. I might regret not getting the 55", reading from most EM T-blog, i think 46" is abit small for the living room.

Edited by jshome

Hi jshome, where is your place? What is the extent of your reno? 4 weeks seems a little too short if u r doing an overhaul. Your combined bathroom is certainly huge, do u intend to keep it or have separate bathrooms?

Hi jshome, where is your place? What is the extent of your reno? 4 weeks seems a little too short if u r doing an overhaul. Your combined bathroom is certainly huge, do u intend to keep it or have separate bathrooms?

Hi potatoes, welcome to my t-blog.

I think 4weeks is too short as well, given them 8 weeks to complete. Renov the whole house except BR2 & balcony.

We are keeping our huge bathroom, this was one of the reason why we got the unit.

Stay tune!

Hi potatoes, welcome to my t-blog.

I think 4weeks is too short as well, given them 8 weeks to complete. Renov the whole house except BR2 & balcony.

We are keeping our huge bathroom, this was one of the reason why we got the unit.

Stay tune!

nice!! we are only giving 6 wks.. XD

you've got 2 kids? i love parquet feel too..!!

One of the eyesore from the unit we got is the STAIRCASE!!

Why can't HDB build nice staircase... these are some ideas we found in the net.

Fishbone spiral staircase. We just fall in love with fishbone!

Pentagon-excl1.jpg

A clever storage step idea.

stair-design-5.jpg

A japanese floating stair.

stair-design.jpg

stair-designb.jpg

Practical storage cum stair. Simply loved the pulled out storage. However, my SO wanted the space beneath it open!

StairStorage.jpg

A fun ribbon stair

ribbon-stairs.jpg

Having researched all the stairs, and setting aside a budget to redo the whole staircase, we are told that HDB doesn't allow any changes to the structural staircase :bangwall::curse:

Luckily, our IDs came out with a brilliant idea/design for our staircase, shall reveal in the later stage :dribble:

nice!! we are only giving 6 wks.. XD

you've got 2 kids? i love parquet feel too..!!

Hi dotty, welcome welcome!

I was following your blog too and saw your wooden tiles. I showed the photos to my SO for consideration, but in the end we still prefer soft flooring.

I'm also looking at the blanco sink that you have purchase, or any one big sink.

Currently our kitchen install a combo 1 medium, 1 small sinks, it's a mistake! Washing bigger pans/pots has it's restriction, the small one becomes our rubbish chute. So we decided, we go for 1 big sink for the new place!

Yes, I have two little princesses, about the same age as yours - 5 & 2 this yr! :sport-smiley-018:

Hi dotty, welcome welcome!

I was following your blog too and saw your wooden tiles. I showed the photos to my SO for consideration, but in the end we still prefer soft flooring.

I'm also looking at the blanco sink that you have purchase, or any one big sink.

Currently our kitchen install a combo 1 medium, 1 small sinks, it's a mistake! Washing bigger pans/pots has it's restriction, the small one becomes our rubbish chute. So we decided, we go for 1 big sink for the new place!

Yes, I have two little princesses, about the same age as yours - 5 & 2 this yr! :sport-smiley-018:

i only using the wooden tiles in the kitchen and the rest of 1st floor is homo. while upper floor will retain existing parquet.

i was tempted to use wood for the entire house but felt it would be too much "wood" as we will be using alot of wooden furniture..

ONE big sink is really useful! alternatively, you can try two medium sinks combo? i've always preferred a single bowl.. so i can't comment on the usefulness of two sink bowls.

gd luck with ur reno!

p.s. i also find the staircase quite ugly.. :( n i don't have much ideas on it.. so might just keep it simple and change the railings.. glass is out coz my hubs think its not child safe.

Edited by thedottyness

Hey yo! Envy ur purchase! But can check out which area u got? I'm actually starting my house hunting next mth.. Was looking at EM but might change to a 5rm instead.. I saw another blogger with a 5room mansionette at east area.. Juz wondering whr else has such units.. N if itz cheaper than EM? ;P

Finally decided to start my own T-blog. I guess with T-blog, it will help speed up my reno progress in some decision making. We are having a really tight schedule. We need to move out from our current place in 1 mth time and our new house reno have not started yet. I have given my IDs 6weeks or the most 8 weeks, but now we are left with 4 weeks. Got to find alternative accommodation soon :(

We are also quite slow in our research. This forum has given me alot of info but I'm too overwhelmed by it as well. So I hope reader can help me in the progress as well. It will also be a place for me to pen down my thought and a reference point thru' out the renov.

Well, here we go....

It took us months in searching our ideal place, and this unit was quite a fast one. We decided on the 1st viewing, or rather my little princess decided. She has been nagging us thru' out the day, asking us when we are can move in!! Since both my SO and I love that place too, we decided to get it.

It is not an EM, but a 5A Maisonette, so smaller balcony and without the 4th bedroom. This is their current floorplan, with open kitchen, bedroom cum study and a combined huge bathroom.

FloorPlanModified.png

Hey yo! Envy ur purchase! But can check out which area u got? I'm actually starting my house hunting next mth.. Was looking at EM but might change to a 5rm instead.. I saw another blogger with a 5room mansionette at east area.. Juz wondering whr else has such units.. N if itz cheaper than EM? ;P

It's in the east as well, opposite the reservoir. We didn't even know such 5Rm Mansionette existed until we view this unit. Indeed it is really rare, if you do a filter search in property guru, it only list 2 units available currently. So I suggest you start poking around now rather than you wait till next mth.

Happy Searching!

A fun ribbon stair

ribbon-stairs.jpg

Having researched all the stairs, and setting aside a budget to redo the whole staircase, we are told that HDB doesn't allow any changes to the structural staircase :bangwall::curse:

Luckily, our IDs came out with a brilliant idea/design for our staircase, shall reveal in the later stage :dribble:

Thanks for putting up so many variation of staircase design.... Eye opening for me! I am interested to know what idea ur ID has proposed to u..... Wonder if HDB will allow us to hack off the entire stair case and redesign our preference.

Oh! I tink I noe which unit u took.. I tink yest I saw one at hougang n one at e reservoir that area.. Hee.. But very curious about something.. E conservancy charges all those will be tagged to 5room's rate instead of an executive rate rite?

Hahaha I've been 'poking around' n 'hovering ard' RT for e past few mths.. Already haf idea on e Reno n also IDs.. Now only waiting to action..

Hehehe.. Always excited to see everyone's Reno.. Hope urs can complete soon..

It's in the east as well, opposite the reservoir. We didn't even know such 5Rm Mansionette existed until we view this unit. Indeed it is really rare, if you do a filter search in property guru, it only list 2 units available currently. So I suggest you start poking around now rather than you wait till next mth.

Happy Searching!

Hello, you are one of the lucky few to have secured a 5AM. Congrats. West side also have - behind Jurong Polytechnic at Jurong East.