Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
XTR

S&s Self-Designed Home In The East

Very sound advice there!! XTR... But easier said then done for me cos i'm such an impulsive shopper....haha

I'm always 'buy already then say'..

Edited by rae13

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I guess the boyfriend tolerates all those weird shabby chic, mannequin, pink/flowery stuff I have in my present home. We do have completely different taste in furnishings. :D

Thank God he has his own place and I have my own haha. :P

Nevertheless he has agreed to help me plan for my new place next year and of course I showed him some ideas just the other day and he was like, " Are you sure you wanna do this ? "

Why am I not surprised. :D

what do you mean? for now both of u are living in your own parents' home right? but later on if u get married to him, wouldnt you be with him in the same flat?

there is this thing i want to say about you:

weird = special

that's very good advice indeed!

thanks!

Wow!! Really very nice and informative!! Thanks loads XTR!! :yamseng:

Very sound advice there!! XTR... But easier said then done for me cos i'm such an impulsive shopper....haha

I'm always 'buy already then say'..

thanks. ;)

just wanted to share that if we really like the item, we can always go back and purchase it. dont need to impulse buy.

even if its a special one, there are also many other special items out there right

tonight got time..shall post more pics

Autour De La Lune (giclee). means journey to the moon. poster above wife's study table.

IMG_5164.jpg

you can get it here. but ours have a fox jumping out of the spaceship.

http://www.art.com/products/p12363099-sa-i1734233/emile-bayard-autour-de-la-lune-one-hour-from-the-moon.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=0&ui=8320d54b5b514480adbbf3fabef22bf9&searchstring=autour+de+la+lune

ILC3D00Z.jpg

Hi adidaem, thanks for the link! So these are called modern baroque? I agree for the first picture is more of morder baroque. How about those pictures with warm lightings too? (the bedrooms) I don't know.. :unsure: I only know I like warm lightings, lines, wallpapers, nice feature walls and overall give a sense of luxury style of living. So I call it luxury. :lol:

marigold, do be careful of your furniture. a lot of couples buy for eg, in the pic above, the bedside lamp hoping to have that condo/atas/luxurious feel. but more often than not, the lamps cheapens the reno and room because of the built and quality. i also do fall into the trap of seeing something nice and then trying to make it fit into the overall theme. luckily i have a wife who spends her childhood looking at sites like apartment therapy to dish me for wanting that "stylo" lamp. what i am trying to say to all is to think twice and come back to the shop a 2nd time to visualize if the item can fit into the whole theme; let your brain run from temptation and rethink.

sorry, sorry if i appear like i know all. I dont! ... the above is just my own opinion k. its a waste that we pay $$$ money to make our place look nice but in the end it doesnt. i also got a few items that we bought wrongly currently, so i hope i am just saying what a lot of renotalkers have gone through. :furious:

also, what may be ugly to me may be beautiful to many. there are so so so many bloggers here who have done up their homes in such a remarkable way.

Hahaha, most of us kena this sort of 'mistake' that XTR has described I think. I got a couple too.

The bedrooms look contemporary to me. As XTR says, the chandelier calls up baroque. Guess have to see more of your inspiration pics to get a sense of what you like. As for wallpaper, it also really depends on the type of patterns/prints that you like - can vary widely from whimsical chic to ornate/baroque depending on the print.

Luxury theme... my personal view is that there is no one theme that encompasses luxury. Really a mix of the space, furnishing, finishing and 'feel'. If you have been to some of the high end showrooms, you'll find that the furnishings are usually very very simple, yet gives an extremely luxurious feel. It's down to the 'finishing' I think. E.g. for a common item like a sofa, the type of leather, the shape/dimensions of the sofa, the stitching, the legs. Hard to pinpoint in words, but easily discernible to the eye. Comparing cars would be easier I guess... say Lexus vs Toyota. Steering wheel, seats, pedals, gear, etc - all the parts you need in a car, but pretty obvious which is the luxury model without even considering engine differences.

dont like flakes .... dont know why ang mohs like to put flakes into their epoxy. cuz of the glitter?

will check out the places recommended since we like to just hang around that area. :rolleyes:

i dont know if the steel strips will help with the cracks. maybe only jaskel can help out with this info.

I thought the flakes are more for friction/hide dirt/prevent wear? Not sure... :unsure:

I forgot Bistro Soori and Esquina for the angmo food. Around the corner you have Duxton Hills, and you probably know ReStore as well. Not to mention Tea Chapter, Maxwell Market and other assorted cafe and restaurants a few minutes. I quite like the conservation shophouse area actually. :yamseng:

ok since adidaem has said it, i also wont be shy in my blog. :sport-smiley-003: -->the 2 bedroom pics are modern contemporary. but it still can give the luxurious feel. still depends on the furnishings that you put into the room after renovation. the toyota vs lexus example is a good one. totally agree with u.

thanks for the extra sharing of makan places! you eat out often isit. like so many places u have been. yeap we know about ReStore.

thanks for the extra sharing of makan places! you eat out often isit. like so many places u have been. yeap we know about ReStore.

Oh you should totally check out the new Mercedes - Style collection of sofa, chairs, bed, etc. Super lux!

http://wp.me/p1qs5K-DY

Ya, we eat out often, and I read a lot too. Also helps to know the nearest food/drink place to rest at when we are drained from furniture searching. :)

Updated: Cos b-e-n-z gets edited out. :bangwall:

Edited by adidaem

Oh you should totally check out the new Mercedes - Style collection of sofa, chairs, bed, etc. Super lux!

http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/fancy-sitting-on-a-mercedes---at-home/

Ya, we eat out often, and I read a lot too. Also helps to know the nearest food/drink place to rest at when we are drained from furniture searching. :)

PAGE not found!!

Thanks!

So stupid... why is b-e-n-z edited out!

This short link should work: http://wp.me/p1qs5K-DY

i see the first pic of the sofa i already want to close the page. too sleek. and no money. bad temptation :bangwall:

i see the first pic of the sofa i already want to close the page. too sleek. and no money. bad temptation :bangwall:

A thing of beauty is a joy forever no? :P

mb07.jpg

mb08.jpg

mb06.jpg

mb09.jpg

Haha, I also no money but I like to look at pretty stuff. :rolleyes:

Very naughty! 8|

what do you mean? for now both of u are living in your own parents' home right? but later on if u get married to him, wouldnt you be with him in the same flat?

there is this thing i want to say about you:

weird = special

thanks!

Haha, the boyfriend's living alone at his new place now and ive been living (along with my cats haha) at my current place (small apartment, 936 sq ft only) for a couple of years now.

My dad lives nearby so I still go back to his home for dinner on most nights. :D

I bought another place 2 years back (it's also another small place,only 980 sq ft) and it'd be ready next year. So im gonna move into the new place next year and put my current place up for rent.

The boyfriend and I have only known each other for 11 months, so we aren't thinking of marriage yet. :P

Btw, when the boyfriend was over at my place today, he said he actually found my mannequin cute, it was beginning to grow on him. Yay. ;)

P7040315.jpg

My cat, Twinkie says hi, here's a photo of him lying on my treadmill.

The treadmill, one of my stupid impulse buys. I think I'd just have to start using it again. :wacko:

Hahaha, most of us kena this sort of 'mistake' that XTR has described I think. I got a couple too.

The bedrooms look contemporary to me. As XTR says, the chandelier calls up baroque. Guess have to see more of your inspiration pics to get a sense of what you like. As for wallpaper, it also really depends on the type of patterns/prints that you like - can vary widely from whimsical chic to ornate/baroque depending on the print.

Luxury theme... my personal view is that there is no one theme that encompasses luxury. Really a mix of the space, furnishing, finishing and 'feel'. If you have been to some of the high end showrooms, you'll find that the furnishings are usually very very simple, yet gives an extremely luxurious feel. It's down to the 'finishing' I think. E.g. for a common item like a sofa, the type of leather, the shape/dimensions of the sofa, the stitching, the legs. Hard to pinpoint in words, but easily discernible to the eye. Comparing cars would be easier I guess... say Lexus vs Toyota. Steering wheel, seats, pedals, gear, etc - all the parts you need in a car, but pretty obvious which is the luxury model without even considering engine differences.

Nice example of Lexus and Toyota. Now I get what you all mean. No wonder sometimes I see 2 pictures, both I also like, but maybe both are of different themes, just that it gives the luxury feel. So it's the use of the furnitures and stuffs. I guess lightings play a very big part in creating the luxurious feel too.

baby blue remington typewriter. in working condition.

IMG_5167.jpg

Super vintage! Like! Do you still use it? Can type love letter to your wife. Hehe..