Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Akitsuki

Serangoon North Renovation By Defong Interior Design

Yes May. We are considered the lucky ones. We can visit the house after work, then go for dinner. And this also save us some cost for not using mover too. We can carry items bit by bit to the house until the day we move in. How convenient! Me and my parents are the same kind. Previously we stayed 1 block away, shift from 3-room to 4-room, we also carry the items by hand and move to the current house. Only bulky items we will use lorry, and that is like one carpark away? Haha...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

In case you guys must be wondering why we got so much time to visit the house everyday. The reason is because we are staying in my parents' house, and the distance between our new home and my parents' home is just 3 blocks away? My parents' house is also in Serangoon North :D

That's cool ; )

It will be the same for my case. just 1 ave away :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

As for your fridge, since you are placing beside the wall, do take note to purchase those type where you do not need to open the door 180 degree to be able to pull out the internal drawer (as it will be blocked by the shelf on the door).

http://www.lg.com/sg/home-appliance/refrigerator/LG-top-mount-GR-B762GSP.jsp

example the above one, if door open left, the last row drawer will not be able to pull out if the door can only open 90 degree & reach the wall. (something like that lar, hope you can catch what I say ; p ) :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004:

All the best in your reno :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

-.-" but from our workplace to home is not 3 blocks :(

you won't want to stay so near to work! not good for your mental health..... hehehehe....

Yes May. We are considered the lucky ones. We can visit the house after work, then go for dinner. And this also save us some cost for not using mover too. We can carry items bit by bit to the house until the day we move in. How convenient! Me and my parents are the same kind. Previously we stayed 1 block away, shift from 3-room to 4-room, we also carry the items by hand and move to the current house. Only bulky items we will use lorry, and that is like one carpark away? Haha...

hahahaa.... sound like a very good way to move house! :yamseng:

lol.. the quotation in our contract was "To supply & fabricate 34ft solid plywood kitchen cabinet c/w laminate finish,2 glass door, 4 drawer, 1 cutlery tray & 1 stainless steel dish tray.To supply & install 18ft solid surface work top with 3 inch profile" so is that too much? hahaha

Just like to point out to you that your description on quotation looks standard, they just put solid plywood c/w laminate finish... better check with them which part is "solid" plywood... can also mean they give you laminate on door and no ABS trimming. Also no write internal finishing make of what material, in this case usually get the white pvc, not polygon or polyester laminate. Also didnt write what door hinges, what drawer tracks and what cutlery tray. For the 18 ft solid top, unless it is written as 100% acrylic which the shine can last longer than mixed polyester/acrylic.

Just like to point out to you that your description on quotation looks standard, they just put solid plywood c/w laminate finish... better check with them which part is "solid" plywood... can also mean they give you laminate on door and no ABS trimming. Also no write internal finishing make of what material, in this case usually get the white pvc, not polygon or polyester laminate. Also didnt write what door hinges, what drawer tracks and what cutlery tray. For the 18 ft solid top, unless it is written as 100% acrylic which the shine can last longer than mixed polyester/acrylic.

we did check with our contractor for the above items conditions before signing already. thanks for the reminder.

Edited by Akitsuki

we did check with our contractor for the above items conditions before signing already. thanks for the reminder.

Never write in black & white, if got problem go court or SCT, you sure to lose. Hope you understand.

Never write in black & white, if got problem go court or SCT, you sure to lose. Hope you understand.

Thanks for your concern.

Edited by Akitsuki

Hi battle. Thank you for your advice. I get what you mean. We will check the fridge model that we want to buy again.

Also remember to leave enough space for the fridge to "breathe" so that the motor can last longer. :rolleyes:

You can still have an L-shape with dish rack above the sink. Look at the photo below.

Kitchen.jpg

I personally don't prefer dish rack though. Because i don't like the messiness of having plates and bowls laying on the rack. I prefer to wipe and keep them away. If I have a dish rack I tend to be lazy and leave them at the rack. This is what i think, I'm still struggling whether I should have one or not. :P

Yeeks...i didn't see this. Else i would propose to do smething like that already. At least my mum will b happier

And this is the draft drawing from my contractor.

IMG-20120323-WA0011.jpg

He proposed a short top cabinet to drop down the dish rack. The dish rack will not have any backing, so this will allow the sunlight to shine through the rack to prevent the kitchen from getting too dark. I like this concept - the dish rack is above the sink, and I get more cabinet space.

The kitchen layout will be like this (Drawn by me; not accurate measurement)

draft5.jpg

Hope my kitchen turns out well :sport-smiley-004:

Good! I'm looking forward to see how this works! Hehe.. this is not my idea, i saw this on someone's blog (But forgot the exact URL). It's a condo showroom. Is it expensive to custom made the hanging dish rack from the cabinet? Did he ask you to top up?

Edited by ValerieLow

Valerie: Regarding your question about the dish rack if can be dropped directly from ceiling, we cannot answer yet. My contractor said will check then let us know. I think I saw a blog here that he/she has a false ceiling/L-box above the L-end to drop down the dish rack. If the dish rack can be directly dropped from the ceiling, that will be better, but I foresee not possible to do that. Even if from direct ceiling, the dish rack might look ugly too because of the length of the side metal pole.

As mentioned above, there is a slight change to the kitchen cabinet layout again. I was convinced to have the L-end facing the window, and we adopted the concept that Valerie has provided us on Pg 7 (Thank you Valerie, I hope you don't mind we "steal" your idea):

Kitchen.jpg

And this is the draft drawing from my contractor.

IMG-20120323-WA0011.jpg

He proposed a short top cabinet to drop down the dish rack. The dish rack will not have any backing, so this will allow the sunlight to shine through the rack to prevent the kitchen from getting too dark. I like this concept - the dish rack is above the sink, and I get more cabinet space.

The kitchen layout will be like this (Drawn by me; not accurate measurement)

draft5.jpg

Hope my kitchen turns out well :sport-smiley-004:

Cool...

But if the brown col item is dining table + bench, i worry it will be quite tight cos assume dining table is 3 ft width, 2 ft for people to sit on bench, your kitchen cabinet is 600mm from wall which is 2 ft, left only 3 ft to walk. If you add chairs for additional people to sit at dining, left 1 ft to walk. :o

Your kitchen sink from left wall will take 5 ft, that leave about 5 ft of walk space.

Pardon me for long winded. I meant well. Dont scold me hor!

Edited by albertchng