Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
alvin11

To Renovate An Executive Mansionette

Hi everyone! i have recently signed an option to purchased an EM and have been reading through Renotalk ever since. I would say that without all the information that is on this forum i would have no clue at all on how to renovate my place, so thank you all for your contributions!!!!!

So lets start with my floor plan shall we!

1) Default Floor Plan

lowerlevelcopy.jpg

upperlevelcopy.jpg

The place is rather big at 165 sqm but rather oddly shaped, can't really feel the extra 200 SF.

2) Proposed Lower Level Floor Plan

lowerlevelmodified.jpg

I intend to have an open dry so i will be taking down the walls around the kitchen and study room. Contemplating with the idea of moving the wet kitchen to the service balcony but i understand that HDB doesn't allow it? The upper level is pretty much fixed in terms of layout.

3) Proposed Lower Level Layout

proposedlayout1.jpg

Played around with floorplanner abit to come up with this floor plan, everything is scaled to my current furniture (But i can't get it to show the measurements on the page itself). What do you guys think of it? The maids room entrance will be from the study/games room, gotta think of ways to create ventilation for that. The study room's size will be reduced so as to create more space for the kitchen

Edited by alvin11

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

4) Some photographs taken during the viewing

img20120225113907.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-03

Double height service balcony which i will install windows all the way up

img20120225120606.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-03

Area below the staircase, would it be weird to put the TV here? the store will be hacked off (hopefully it can be done)

img20120225114428.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shot at 2012-03-03

Current kitchen entrance, walls will all be removed for an open dry kitchen

Edited by alvin11

img20120225114000.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-03

Double ceiling balcony! i was told by HDB that the space in void area here does not technically belong to me hence i cannot seal up with windows all the way up. :(

img20120225113929.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-03

img20120225114433.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-03

Stairs area and second level

img20120225121128.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-03

The void area within the house which makes air conditioning impossible! but also the part that is so special about this place

5) Design Ideas

kitchen-island-ideas-014.jpg

I would love to have a kitchen/island like that, gotta be much smaller though since the kitchen is split into 2 sections.

Edited by alvin11

Renovation is such a headache! met up with 3 ID firms from IMM and non of their quotes were below $80k.

The quotes were for

1) Hack off 2 walls, flooring for the entire house, 3 toilets, store, kitchen (quotes ranged from 6-8K for hacking alone)

2) Replace the flooring for the entire house (Parquet for 2nd level, homogenous tiles for 1st level)

3) Sand blasted glass for the staircase hand rail area (1 quote me $2.5k and another quoted $14k for the same thing)

4) Carpentary work for kitchen and wardrobe for 3 bedrooms

5) Parquet for stairs

6) False ceiling/cove lights for rooms and living room

the quotes were excluding electrical works, aircon and fittings.

Looking at the way different ID firms quote for the same item i guess i will be going directly to the main contractor instead!

welcome to rt! Interesting design and no space wastage despite being odd shaped!

Looks like you are mahjong fan? It will drive your maid nuts! hehe....

Seems no ventilation for the maid's room too....

Edited by beluga

welcome to rt! Interesting design and no space wastage despite being odd shaped!

Looks like you are mahjong fan? It will drive your maid nuts! hehe....

haha yeah i think i'll need sound proofing for her! the room is for my folks since they play mahjong all the time during weekends. They do it in the living room now which is already driving the family nuts!

Edited by alvin11

All some ventilation for maid's room too....

i was thinking of air vents along the side near the ceiling to the kitchen area. Actually for weekdays its fine because she can just leave the door open and close the study room door because nobody uses that area

I thought hdb don't allow you to build a room that has to go through another room? i.e. walk out 2 doors and you are out of the house.

This is for fire safety reasons.

I thought hdb don't allow you to build a room that has to go through another room? i.e. walk out 2 doors and you are out of the house.

This is for fire safety reasons.

ahhh...thanks for pointing out! i have not gone through the regulations and none of the IDs pointed that out too

ahhh...thanks for pointing out! i have not gone through the regulations and none of the IDs pointed that out too

Technically there are no doors at study, right? So for maid's room, only 1 door for maid to go main door. Not double doors....

Welcome to RT!!

Renovation is such a headache! met up with 3 ID firms from IMM and non of their quotes were below $80k.

The quotes were for

1) Hack off 2 walls, flooring for the entire house, 3 toilets, store, kitchen (quotes ranged from 6-8K for hacking alone)

2) Replace the flooring for the entire house (Parquet for 2nd level, homogenous tiles for 1st level)

3) Sand blasted glass for the staircase hand rail area (1 quote me $2.5k and another quoted $14k for the same thing)

4) Carpentary work for kitchen and wardrobe for 3 bedrooms

5) Parquet for stairs

6) False ceiling/cove lights for rooms and living room

the quotes were excluding electrical works, aircon and fittings.

Looking at the way different ID firms quote for the same item i guess i will be going directly to the main contractor instead!

That what i encounter when i request for quote too in the end i chose my final id as they are more honest every of their price was ard 10% higher than my lowest quoted price but overall still quite competitive.

Some id charge u real cheap for some items to tempt you but trying to chop you for the rest. Zzz

Anyway for reference my hacking of 96sf hm of the living room they charge me 450 only and told me it would be only be ard double for the whole house including kitchen,room and toilet. You might want to check mine out for a comparison of pricing before finalise. Gd luck on ur reno ;)

Edited by Brianho

Hi Alvin11, congrats on becoming a new EM owner:) your EM size of 165sqm is unusual and it certainly look huge. The layout is also very unique as it is different from the normal EM layout. Where is your place?

Edited by potatoes

Technically there are no doors at study, right? So for maid's room, only 1 door for maid to go main door. Not double doors....

Welcome to RT!!

thanks!!

i thought of a glass door for the study room :(

I intend to have an open dry so i will be taking down the walls around the kitchen and study room. Contemplating with the idea of moving the wet kitchen to the service balcony but i understand that HDB doesn't allow it? The upper level is pretty much fixed in terms of layout.

3) Proposed Lower Level Layout

proposedlayout1.jpg

Played around with floorplanner abit to come up with this floor plan, everything is scaled to my current furniture (But i can't get it to show the measurements on the page itself). What do you guys think of it? The maids room entrance will be from the study/games room, gotta think of ways to create ventilation for that. The study room's size will be reduced so as to create more space for the kitchen

Is this at Bt Batok? Think I saw this on propertyguru a few months ago.

Congrats on your new home and good luck with your reno. How about locating the maid's room at the staircase area? I see a couple of beams criss-crossing overhead and it may not be comfy to sit under beams if you locate your living room there.

Yeah, I think HDB does't allow relocation of kitchen/stove. You can try applying, but best to make sure your IDs know the rules well. I like the double spaced atrium. Gives a very unique sense of space upon entry.