Sign in to follow this  
Mummy Ling

Our Journey To Casa

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Mummy :sport-smiley-004:

Congratulation to your new house.

All the best in ID hunting. :thumbs up:

Nice long walkway to MBR, can hang photo with spot lights focusing at them ; p

Very itneresting round round walkway below ur house.

Hihi ,

Thank u! Yes, very interesting internal park i should say.. Hope it turns out well... :D

Hi Mummy

Congrats on your new home. Can share your fsm contact. Next is ID hunting which is what I'm doing now. Hehe

Doned!

All the best to ur ID hunting.. Interesting but can b quite a headache too when u start comparing.. Take ur time ya?

Cheers! :drunk:

Never knew screeding was FOC until our IDs shared this with us.

A check on Renotalk has also proven so! :good:

All the IDs we have visited has adviced us to ask HDB to do the screeding.

Of course Quality maybe compromised with FOC stuff. One ID has told us that although this service can be done free, the workmanship is usually not as good as those done by the ID companies themselves.

Some have a choice of getting HDB to do it or getting the IDs to do it by paying for the cost.

Well, so how do we ensure that quality is not so compromised?

A little communication and initiatiion will help! And also, a little "Thank You" At the end will help you and make the worker a happier man at the end of the day! :D

How do you apply for screeding?

Go to your area's HDB Branch office and apply.

A form will be provided for you to fill up and choose which area you need to screed. Screeding is only for those floor spaces that requires Lamination. If you are using tiles, screeding on the floors is not required.

The screeding contractor will call you within a week and also find out more from you. Within a day or two, a worker will come and collect your keys. Never give you door/gate keys to anyone. Prepare an extra padlock or number lock.

The good thing about number lock is that you need not meet the worker to pass the keys to him. Just give them the number code to unlock your door.

If you still prefer the traditional method, you can also choose the normal padlock, but you will need to meet up with them to pass the keys. Quite inconvenient if you are living quite far from your new home and if you don't drive :)

Well, another thing settled!

The hunt for IDs have come to an end and now its the judging stage.. Lol

Edited by Mummy Ling

Can screeding be done after reno or before? Wooden flooring by HDB can screed?

Never knew screeding was FOC until our IDs shared this with us.

A check on Renotalk has also proven so! :good:

All the IDs we have visited has adviced us to ask HDB to do the screeding.

Of course Quality maybe compromised with FOC stuff. One ID has told us that although this service can be done free, the workmanship is usually not as good as those done by the ID companies themselves.

Some have a choice of getting HDB to do it or getting the IDs to do it by paying for the cost.

Well, so how do we ensure that quality is not so compromised?

A little communication and initiatiion will help! And also, a little "Thank You" At the end will help you and make the worker a happier man at the end of the day! :D

How do you apply for screeding?

Go to your area's HDB Branch office and apply.

A form will be provided for you to fill up and choose which area you need to screed. Screeding is only for those floor spaces that requires Lamination. If you are using tiles, screeding on the floors is not required.

The screeding contractor will call you within a week and also find out more from you. Within a day or two, a worker will come and collect your keys. Never give you door/gate keys to anyone. Prepare an extra padlock or number lock.

The good thing about number lock is that you need not meet the worker to pass the keys to him. Just give them the number code to unlock your door.

If you still prefer the traditional method, you can also choose the normal padlock, but you will need to meet up with them to pass the keys. Quite inconvenient if you are living quite far from your new home and if you don't drive :)

Well, another thing settled!

The hunt for IDs have come to an end and now its the judging stage.. Lol

Can screeding be done after reno or before? Wooden flooring by HDB can screed?

Hi, i am not sure as mine is a completely bare house with no tiles done.

I believe for a new house, screeding should be done before renovations takes place. We were advised by our IDs to do so too. Although they didnt elaborate why, I believe this is because the worker will b bringing up bags of screed cement to the individual rooms tht require screeding. He will also be bringing quite a number of tools up. If you do it after renovations, wouldnt your surrounding walls be stained or damaged?

After screeding, the wooden flooring can be laid on. All those wooden flooring and laminations requires your floor area o be screed first. Once they are lat and smooth, the ontractor can lay the pieces together. Tiles on the other hand requires uneven surfaces. ;)

Woots!! :sport-smiley-004:

Another big furnture bought while visiting more shops.

Today we went to visit iBath Concepts. Got a few items in mind. The lady, Jenny, was very helpful in giving suggestions.

My hubs and i are torn between Instant heaters and Storage heaters...

Hubs oiesnt like the bulky feeling as well as the amount of energy it consumes to heat up the water. On the other hand, another school of thought is that storage heaters only need an X amt of time to heat up what it contains. Say you buy a 15L storage unit, you will take probably 5min or lesser to heat up. But if you choose a 30L storage unit, you might need up to 10min to heat up. The water that is heated up, will be kept warm enough up to mid day. The heated water can also be used for your taps or kitchen sinks, depending if they cater hot water points. For instant heaters, the water will be heated up everytime you use until you have finished your bath. Your sinks dont have hot water provided.

We also learned that the number of kwh used by the heater will determine the strength of its heating element. Normal or low cost instant heaters are usually lower than 3 kwh. Those at 3 or more, 3.5kwh for newer models now, will heat up the water faster and stronger. Those low kwh instant heaters will produce lesser heat so that means you will only be able to feel the heat if you place the shower head near your body. If not, you don't feel much heat at all. This is what i am feeling right niw, everytime i use my current water heater.. :furious: Freezing morning showers at times!

Well, anyway iBath concept has pretty few good design concepts for its sink and vanity top, but it is always good to compare and then benchmark its pricing. Certain things will be more expensive while certain things are not. It also depends on the material used, the number of products imported and the country of import. For eg. IMM sells its Alpha instant heater with rain shower as a package at $300+ but iBath sells theirs with the same package at $399. The reason iBath explained for the price difference is that the IMM shops imports a bulk of these products so they can sell it cheaper. However, dont expect any much aftersales support if you find it doesnt fit.

Anyway, after a good 1 hour there, we headed to Xclusive homes to take a look at their furniture.. Wooohh.. Nice stuff there but really loud music at its entrance that almost burst our ears! :(

They were having an off-season sale now and some things were slashed to half. We were very interested in a couch, a designer lamp, a TV console, a coffee table and a display shelve cabinet. They had some nice dining sets but most of them looked too big for our new home. After much consideration, we got our sofa first! Yeeah... :dancingqueen:

A nice 3+2 couch with reclining head rest and sliding seats, at an affordable price! We decided not to choose the colour first until we hv finalised with our theme.

Then he went to individual rooms which he took out his compass to check on the facing and where our beds should face.

He mentioned that the bed should always face East, as East is a very lucky "wang" position. and just nice that our walls are positioned in a way tha our beds have to face that direction.. Thank God! No need to hack or add things :D

May i know is your head that is facing East or your leg is facing East ? Thanks

Thanks , cute illustration. :D

Saw one article saying the crown of your head should point toward your positive direction. Meaning Head is pointing East and leg pointing west. So rather confuse on this fengsui theory.

Never mind. How much u paid for yr Fengsui master for yr 4 or 5rm flat ? Thanks

Hmm.. Retractabke laundry system Or washer & dryer?

Can anyone share with me on this that i posted in another thread..

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47471&st=0&gopid=697825entry697825

Sigh... My friend told me this system is pointess as there is still no sun...so dryer is still better. And to do full load to save on electricity...

Hmmm.... :unsure:

Edited by Mummy Ling

Thanks , cute illustration. :D

Saw one article saying the crown of your head should point toward your positive direction. Meaning Head is pointing East and leg pointing west. So rather confuse on this fengsui theory.

Never mind. How much u paid for yr Fengsui master for yr 4 or 5rm flat ? Thanks

My geomancer told me that we should sleep facing East as East is the "旺" direction.. Haha..

Mine is a four room flat which we paid for $488. Thot it was reasonable and furthermore, we had used their services before :)

Do u mind PM me the conntact ? The price is really reasonable.

Did he advice u on where to put the altar and open door ceremony(bring fruit to pray , roll pineapple into living room etc)

why not u do an experiment. Wet a jean or shirt and leave it there then come back the next day see if it will dry. For dryer (consumpt high power) is good for raining day but normal day in SPORE is quite hot and u stay in high floor should be OK.

Have a smooth reno. cheer

Edited by Jas28