Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
orchids

Nyatoh Doors Long Crack Line

Anyone encounter before?

After 6 months installation, I see my 2 Nyatoh bedroom doors - one has crackline 22cm long, other one 15cm long! ( both from the top )

The guy came and see and said ' it happens due to humidity, wood kind of things are very hard to say '

and what they can do is to apply something, smoothen, then paint varnish over whole door ' and then it will be ok.

Won't crack anymore although line will be visible.

Is this really a workable solution ?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

Which company did you purchase your doors from? It's highly recommended that purchases are made through reliable & reputable sources.

Sanding off the crack & applying a layer of vanish could minimise the appearance of the "scar" arising from the cracks. However, the problem cannot be cured because a crack is a crack; it's different from a scratch which could be lightly buffed off with sandpaper & varnishing it with selac.

Are your doors facing the afternoon sun or exposed directly under the sun?

Cracking up in a matter of just 6 months upon installation is deem to be unacceptable from my perspective as a customer.

In our case, our new nyatoh bedroom door is facing the west & gets hit by the afternoon sunlight which filters through the windows that were located directly opposite (this bedroom door).

However, our nyatoh doors are still looking nice & good. Thus far, no cracks are detected yet.

The only difference is that it looks more natural now that the selac had already sunken into the nyatoh wood. The door still looks glossy & pretty. :thumbs up:

If u r interested, please take a look at our bedroom door at the link below:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40652&view=findpost&p=641303

Edited by edenstrauss

In actual fact, if the wood is not treated properly to handle humidity, it can crack under dry air condition or expose to direct sunlight. You can try patch the crack using wood patty (can buy from homefix), then sandpaper it smooth then varnish with selac/lacquer. If the crack is huge gap, wood patty will be obvious, you may wish to paint the door.

I know wood because previously i worked for Scanteak.

Hi Both

Thanks for your replies .. troubled by other stuff :(

This is after reno .. and contractor say just take what the 'door guy' said.

it's like no point changing door ... as long as varnish may crack .. paint then won't crack ?!! [ as albertchng wrote ]

So tmr they will come and put something, then smoothen, then varnish ( if they kept to the schedule ).

1 hour to "mend cracks + paint lacquer for whole of door" for 3 doors ... good + efficient.

This person say 'coz if door is "new wood" - then cracks will happen due to 'hot -> contract and cold -> expand" .

( he say wood and metal is opposite )

But he won't know how old the doors are / how long they have been kept in factories.

The older the wood, unlikely for cracks to happen.

First time hear things like that .. very new to me. Hope not being conned ..

Well, kind of good la - now my doors look new & nice 'coz just painted

This person say 'coz if door is "new wood" - then cracks will happen due to 'hot -> contract and cold -> expand" .

( he say wood and metal is opposite )

i think he meant to say dry > contract and moist > expand.