Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

An Audiophile's Mid Century Home

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, is the PH5 lamp bright enough for your rectangular dining table w/o your cove lights on?

We got ourself a PH5 for our dining area too but am a little worried that it will not light up the area much as that is the only light we have in our dining area.

Finally some lights..

IMG_3017.jpg

Hi, how much did you buy the recliner chair + ottoman from Lush? An indicative price will do. Looks really nice. Must be comfy too I think. Thanks much! ;)

@kenjo:

A single pH5 isn't very bright, you may need many lights if you want high Lux. I use it for mood and combine it with the lighting from my false ceiling. You will notice, most restaurants don't make dining a very bright place.

@MLTR:

The prices are standard for Eames Chairs. Around 1000-1500 for decent ones. Look out for sales to get it cheaper. Eg OM had a sale on them recently. If you are not in a hurry, wait for the next sale.

Eames designed items are very popular, so they will be on sale every now and then. If you can afford it, an original can be bought for 5k or 6k on sale.

Just answering a pm here so others can benefit:

Hi I'm thinking of getting a Focal Dome 5.1 for my hubby, but I know nuts about sound system. Is it compatible if say I don't have any existing sound system to speak of? What are the things I must take note of while doing renovation? I will be doing a TV feature wall as well with a relatively large living room.

Sorry to sound silly but glad if you can advise me so that I don't get cheated by the audio shop salespeople.

It is best that you do some homework at the Home Theatre related websites:

Buying that Home Theatre – how to demo and some suggestions

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=73638.0

Alternative hardwarezone site for tips: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/home-theatre-audiophiles-13/tips-getting-new-ht-system-info-suggested-brands-advice-1687284.html

FAQS: http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=48382.0

More info given, more info offered. Such a non-specific question like asking if the Focal Dome is good is very difficult to answer. No one knows how big is your home, what kind of music tastes etc. And things to note? Well that's what I have been posting here...

And you have to judge for yourself what level of sound treatment you want. You can see what I did here: http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=114164.0

So have a look at the two links first. Then post in the forum there, and you will find some useful answers.

Good luck!

An article on satellite speakers:

http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2010/03/satellite-speakers.html

My link to how to buy :

How to Buy and Demo a Home Theatre System

will also talk about the balance of form versus function. So guys, if you want that kick *** system, suggest something that sounds good and looks decent too... for the lucky men who can get an uncompromising system, you will be the even of the rest...

Edited by petetherock

Thanks for the reply! Just wanna make sure we can still see what we put into our mouths during dining time. hehe

@kenjo:

A single pH5 isn't very bright, you may need many lights if you want high Lux. I use it for mood and combine it with the lighting from my false ceiling. You will notice, most restaurants don't make dining a very bright place.

@MLTR:

The prices are standard for Eames Chairs. Around 1000-1500 for decent ones. Look out for sales to get it cheaper. Eg OM had a sale on them recently. If you are not in a hurry, wait for the next sale.

Eames designed items are very popular, so they will be on sale every now and then. If you can afford it, an original can be bought for 5k or 6k on sale.

:jawdrop: sweet! the 50K living room!

Nah... even with reno, my system didn't cost that much.. buy smart, and the rest is in calibration. Most home owners who are not enthusiasts want a press button solution. For the best sound, that's not enough. Lots of elbow grease and if you are willing to put the same effort that you did into the reno, you will get good sound on less money.

But most will prefer form over function...

Nice Reno.... May I know where did u get yr outdoor furniture?

Winter at 1 Kaki Bukit... look for the salesman, Summer (yep, that's his name...)

Should be less than $300 especially if you buy more stuff from him.

The view from my balcony on a quiet Saturday...

IMG_4056.jpg

Nice place for tea and on New Year's Eve, watching 4 fireworks from here...

Wow! U got a nice view! 😃

Winter at 1 Kaki Bukit... look for the salesman, Summer (yep, that's his name...)

Should be less than $300 especially if you buy more stuff from him.

That is fast! Thanks!