Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
magmillion

Should I Buy A Dishwasher

I stay in 5 room HDB, don't have maid and I am contemplating to buy or not to buy dish washer. I have zoomed down to using bosch with limited space... Struggling to decide, any users suggestions?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

it depend on how often you cook , and how much food you cook each time and how many family member you have and also mean more to pay for electrical

I stay in 5 room HDB, don't have maid and I am contemplating to buy or not to buy dish washer. I have zoomed down to using bosch with limited space... Struggling to decide, any users suggestions?

Edited by rayfox

You have to consider the following:

-You still need to rinse the solid food particles off the plates before loading them into the machine.

-You need to organize the utensils to get a full load (or it will not be economical to wash) therefore you will need to stock more cutlery/plates etc

-At the end of the wash you still need to unload the stuff and stack them in the cupboards.

Whatever you buy, as long as it is a machine, it will consume electricity.

Those dishwasher thing - it is for wealthier people who can afford a maid + machine to wash

I don't have a domestic helper too and after getting feedback from owners of dishwasher (w/o helper), I am all for it. In Spore we hv the luxury of employing foreign help thus there is no such widespread culture of owning a dishwasher unlike the European counterparts. In Europe, it cost lots to employ domestic help thus dishwasher is like a norm, like washing machine to us. I thought through, it may use more water n electricity than not using at all, but it frees us to spend more time with our family. Moreover, there is more incentive to entertain :). I used to dread entertaining guests as I dread the loads of washingssssss. Of cos, you may wanna use it only on occasions where u feel ' lazier', n manual wash when the dishes are

manageable. U should talk to those who are using them already to get feedbacks of the pro n cons. Happy deciding!!! ;).

If you have already bought your crockery, cutlery, and utensils, then it is best to check if they are dishwasher safe first... No point getting a dishwasher, if your dishes cannot be washed with a dishwasher.

I bought my dishwasher for quite good price. Around $500+. It's a small compact model, 6 settings only. Brand is Elba, which seems good so far and is hundreds of dollars cheaper than Braun. I placed it on top of my front loading washing machine.

I find it very useful for entertaining where you can wash lots of dishes and bowls and cutlery at one go. It seems to be working well so far, most of the time because the dishes are not very soiled (just oily, greasy) I use the "express" setting which is 30 mins only and everything comes out quite clean since it uses hot water to wash. I also don't usually bother using the drying function (to save electricity) and just leave the door of the dishwasher open to let the dishes air dry afterwards. Of course you spend some time loading and unloading it and also have to rinse off any particles before you put it in (or just wipe with kitchen towel also can!) but I think it's better than standing over the sink washing the dishes myself.

Helps a lot esp since I am expecting now... can't bend over the sink too long cos back pain! :)

Edit: Forgot to add, if you are the type who washes dishes at the sink using running water from the tap instead of filling the sink/basin with water... I read that research showed that dishwasher consumes less water than manual washing with running water. Of course there is electricity too... but just something you can consider if you are the kind like me who used to wash dishes with running water. :)

Edited by Bunnymummy

I bought my dishwasher for quite good price. Around $500+. It's a small compact model, 6 settings only. Brand is Elba, which seems good so far and is hundreds of dollars cheaper than Braun.

I find it very useful for entertaining where you can wash lots of dishes and bowls and cutlery at one go. It seems to be working well so far, most of the time because the dishes are not very soiled (just oily, greasy) I use the "express" setting which is 30 mins only and everything comes out quite clean since it uses hot water to wash. I also don't usually bother using the drying function (to save electricity) and just leave the door of the dishwasher open to let the dishes air dry afterwards.

Edit: Forgot to add, if you are the type who washes dishes at the sink using running water from the tap instead of filling the sink/basin with water... I read that research showed that dishwasher consumes less water than manual washing with running water. Of course there is electricity too... but just something you can consider if you are the kind like me who used to wash dishes with running water. :)

Thanks for the info, bunnymummy...

I am also the washing with running water type.

I do agree with SiSi on the pros when entertaining guests...lots of dishes to wash...I dread that too...

With dishwasher, CNY or frens gathering or family gatherings..i'm saved! :)

Elba brand...will consider it since it's really cheaper than electrolux n bosch. :)

Edited by Chrissmoo

Thanks for the info, bunnymummy...

I am also the washing with running water type.

I do agree with SiSi on the pros when entertaining guests...lots of dishes to wash...I dread that too...

With dishwasher, CNY or frens gathering or family gatherings..i'm saved! :)

Elba brand...will consider it since it's really cheaper than electrolux n bosch. :)

You're welcome! :) Elba seems really not bad, I don't think it makes much diff and the exterior looks quite okay also! :)

i think need to weigh the amount of dishes to be washed versus investing a lump sum into a dishwasher.

i.e. is there a consistent load of dishes such that getting a dishwasher will actually tap on the economies of scale?

this is more for those who are moving into a new place....and planning for appliances to buy. not buying the dishwasher means more cash for elsewhere.

for those already moved in....and u have the spare cash flow already to invest in one....definitely can consider

I used to have a fisher and paykel dishwasher few years back. If you dont have a maid and lazy to wash all dishes, the dish washer is ok. it may eat into your utillity bill as the wash maybe longer but i quite like the washer as you get very clean dishes.

Last time i just leave the dish inside the washer and use it until finish and reload again....hahahaha. I like it clean the wine glass.... spotty clean.

you may need to spend a bit on the washer detergent etc...to get some shiny effect on your glasses.