Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Revamp Of A 40yo 3rm Pigeonhole...

yaya.. referring to soft-closing runner tracks. paisay... i am not very hands on and expert in this type of technical stuff. kekeke

so ikea does sell them? i am thinking of buying for my kitchen drawers. but blum prices put me off. :bangwall:

for the stolmen, ikea supplies 2 pairs of runners (see above previous posts) with every drawer set purchased. so there's no need to go buy other brands if u r happy with the stock ones...

you can try Excel Hardware for their similar ranges of soft-closing tracks. also available at the shophouses at Kranji area.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
yes, the pole sort of vibrated no matter how tight i lock them, so i will try using my caulking gun to apply some silicone around the gap and see if that cures the problem... :unsure: wait a minute, i think no need to mess using silicone, ikea has some spare fixtures that can be modified to secure the thicker/thinner pipe interface, will try this out at home to see if it cures the problem of shaking noises during slamming. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: stay tuned....

the runner tracks supplied have a spring mechanism to pull back the drawer when it's slightly opened. there's some soft-close mechanism involved, but too weak to dampen the slamming... so will be looking closely to apply some dampers...

:) oh yes, please do share if u are able to "modify" it. :)

An update to the remedial actions taken to secure the aluminum poles.

For the end/mounting fittings, small pieces of semicircular plastic sleeving is used to line between the pole and the clamp to have a better grip while preventing scratches. Referring to the below photo, the left normal sleeve is used when the fitting is clamped on the main pole which is thicker. The center ribbed sleeve is used on the extension pole which is thinner.

Supplied sleeving

IMG_1593.jpg

As the wobbling noise occurs at the joint between the thicker & thinner pipes (see below), what was done is to secure the clamp on this joint here, such that half of the center-ribbed sleeve is for clamping the thinner pole while half of the normal sleeve is clamping on the thicker pole. Using a penknife, cut across the length of the sleeves and use that then clamping onto the joint.

Main/Extension pole joint

98af2a72.jpg

Modified sleeving

IMG_1594.jpg

Modified sleeving lined to the clamp

IMG_1595.jpg

End result, no more wobbling noises.... :D

Edited by neubie

Found replacement runner tracks for the cheapo ones. Went back to my fav hardware store, looked for 450mm Blum tracks (the same 560H series used in my kitchen and TV console) runners.

Below shows the stock Ikea runners.... and retrofitted with the Blum ones.... end effect is so much quieter, smoother and better

Stock runners

558bfca8.jpg

Blum runners

1b756cfa.jpg

Note that a little sawing at the end is required to accommodate the broader Blum stalk (see first photo, top right corner) which is twice as wide as the OEM one. :D

Edited by neubie

Just got my hands on a self-leveling laser meter, takes the hardwork and guesswork out of mounting stuffs like picture frames, clocks, racks, shelves, etc.... all will be perfectly mounted.... hehehe

e8888527.jpg

Comes supplied with tripod stand oso...

556bd58b.jpg

ba5ab9df.jpg

Edited by neubie

Just got my hands on a self-leveling laser meter, takes the hardwork and guesswork out of mounting stuffs like picture frames, clocks, racks, shelves, etc.... all will be perfectly mounted.... hehehe

e8888527.jpg

woohoo this is so pro... :) how much did it cost..?

oh heads up for the stolmen modification! :) shall keep it in mind!

woohoo this is so pro... :) how much did it cost..?

oh heads up for the stolmen modification! :) shall keep it in mind!

$130+ for this... there are cheaper ones at $60+ but the plumb line is only projected in front and not top.... quite useful to check if your contractor did anything that is not straight (ie, cabinets, L-boxes, false ceilings, windows, doors, anything imaginable..etc., so can ask them make good :D :D :D :D :D

Edited by neubie

Three electricians came in the morning and have already completed tearing down the old trunking and wiring.

IMG_1085.jpg

all appear to be laocheks with good experience...working steady poon pipi :D

IMG_1086.jpg

Trunking on kitchen walls are nailed nicely at the grout area to avoid cracking the tiles, with glue running the entire strip to the wall...hacksaw (instead of snips) used to cut trunks to correct length...

IMG_1088.jpg

Main thick trunkings were drilled and screwed (with wall plugs) onto the ceiling instead of nails...

IMG_1088.jpg

Farewell to old retiring MCB and Greenland brand trunkings...you have served the flat well

IMG_1087.jpg

Are the electrician provided by Alan or you source yourself?

e8888527.jpg

Comes supplied with tripod stand oso...

556bd58b.jpg

ba5ab9df.jpg

Nice device, you can be a contractor easily........ :D

Can stolmemt installed at false ceiling area?

should be able to, since the user manual states if the ceiling is unsuitable for securing the pole, there are brackets and accessories provided for wall fastening. i will try to scan the manual and post it here tonight. ;)

should be able to, since the user manual states if the ceiling is unsuitable for securing the pole, there are brackets and accessories provided for wall fastening. i will try to scan the manual and post it here tonight. ;)

ok. i scare if i extend the pole too hard, it will dent into my top false ceiling permanently. dangerous. will hear from ur view after u scan thru the manual. kekeke.. thanks!