Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Ayu

Soon To Get Key But No Idea How To Find Contractor. Any Advice?

We are going to get our key on 12 July this year. But we still clueless on getting contractors. Any advice? And what are the usual hidden cost that isn't stated in the quotations?

Could you also recommend me any good, reliable and reasonable (price) contractors?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
We are going to get our key on 12 July this year. But we still clueless on getting contractors. Any advice? And what are the usual hidden cost that isn't stated in the quotations?

Could you also recommend me any good, reliable and reasonable (price) contractors?

u can just start by walking into those contractor/designer offices with your floorplan and ask for a quote.

u can just start by walking into those contractor/designer offices with your floorplan and ask for a quote.

What exactly is meant by hidden cost?

What exactly is meant by hidden cost?

means stuff that are not included in the quotation.

for example. some company quote u ridiculously low price for full height wardrobe. then during measurement. tells u all drawers/shelves/hanging rods need to pay extra.

or, whole house piping included in package. but after measurement, say only free up to certain ft. after that need to charge extra.

of course, if these are all communicated to u in the beginning. then personally i wun call them hidden costs. :D

Edited by wolflet

means stuff that are not included in the quotation.

for example. some company quote u ridiculously low price for full height wardrobe. then during measurement. tells u all drawers/shelves/hanging rods need to pay extra.

or, whole house piping included in package. but after measurement, say only free up to certain ft. after that need to charge extra.

of course, if these are all communicated to u in the beginning. then personally i wun call them hidden costs. :D

Thanks wolflet.. Since I'm new in this renovations thingy, all those things make me aware of those height/measurement limitations when they didnt put in my quotation. I'll make sure that they put everything down in my quotations. Any more advices?? Seems like even the slightest things that we tend to forget is very important went comes to renovation cos it all cause $$$

Thanks wolflet.. Since I'm new in this renovations thingy, all those things make me aware of those height/measurement limitations when they didnt put in my quotation. I'll make sure that they put everything down in my quotations. Any more advices?? Seems like even the slightest things that we tend to forget is very important went comes to renovation cos it all cause $$$

they usually have a standard height for full height wardrobes. if your house has a higher ceiling (top floor units or condominiums) there may be a fee to top up for the extra height.

also, take note of the price of the tiles that u are allowed to select. if u select tiles that cost more than they give u. they will ask u to top up also.

and also the price of laminate they allow u to choose for ur cabinets.

for plumbing, things to take note are

- copper/stainless steel pipes

- does the price include hot water piping (if needed)

for my ID, she made known all the prices right from the beginning. so i know that i know which laminates i choose needed topping up, and which tiles i choose needed topping up.

but for the price range for living rm floor tiles i was given (2.90) not many choices available. so i ended up topping up for living room floor tiles.

Edited by wolflet

they usually have a standard height for full height wardrobes. if your house has a higher ceiling (top floor units or condominiums) there may be a fee to top up for the extra height.

also, take note of the price of the tiles that u are allowed to select. if u select tiles that cost more than they give u. they will ask u to top up also.

and also the price of laminate they allow u to choose for ur cabinets.

for plumbing, things to take note are

- copper/stainless steel pipes

- does the price include hot water piping (if needed)

for my ID, she made known all the prices right from the beginning. so i know that i know which laminates i choose needed topping up, and which tiles i choose needed topping up.

but for the price range for living rm floor tiles i was given (2.90) not many choices available. so i ended up topping up for living room floor tiles.

What other things do we have to buy ourselves? Like sink or water heater or stove?

What other things do we have to buy ourselves? Like sink or water heater or stove?

usually, lights, sanitary stuff (heater/sinks/taps/toilet bowls) and hood and hob are not included in the quotation.

usually, lights, sanitary stuff (heater/sinks/taps/toilet bowls) and hood and hob are not included in the quotation.

Thank you again. I will share this information my partner. Our email add is hans_ayu@hotmail.com. Do feel free to drop us an email if you have other advices for us.

If we are on a tight budget, is it wise to hire different contractors (who gave the afforable price) to do different jobs like tiling, grill and kitchen?

If we are on a tight budget, is it wise to hire different contractors (who gave the afforable price) to do different jobs like tiling, grill and kitchen?

Actually is not wise to hire too many different contractors. Cos u need to coordinate. U may not know is it doing correct or not? Who to come in first? If things was to damage, who is responsible?

What if you really really are in tight budget??

Is it cheaper to buy your own tiles from the factory and ask your contractors to install them for you?

my colleague did that

He engage those contractor and ask them.. how much tiles need, etc

Then he went to buy all those tiles, sand. cement whichever he can buy.

Really DIY

my colleague did that

He engage those contractor and ask them.. how much tiles need, etc

Then he went to buy all those tiles, sand. cement whichever he can buy.

Really DIY

Salute to your colleague, male or female? Too "calculative" for a male, no standard lah.

Edited by bepgof

Salute to your colleague, male or female? Too "calculative" for a male, no standard lah.

man

cannot say like that

his wife not working and expecting the 2nd child.

every cents must count