Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Hi

Have u wondered why 6 Ohm rated receivers need a internal cooling fan?

Thats becoz the blardy thing heats up easily!! Same goes for some Onkyo receivers.

Yes, on both counts on your queries, 6 ohm rated requires more power to drive 8 Ohm rated speakers.

And yes, receiver with more power can handle in proper speakers with the corresponding power or less.

I do suggest you audition Yamaha or Onkyo receivers. Pioneer amp may be good but Im not at all impressed.

cheers

Best to avoid amps with fans inside... dust will accumulate inside....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
After going around to audition speaker system (B&W MT30/ Def Tech/ Tannoy Arena/ Floor Standing), we have decided and bought the KEF KHT3005SE-White from Adelphi ($2700).

Nice choice on 3005SE cos i got that set as well :sport-smiley-004: I'm really not technically inclined but i've paired it up with Onkyo 608 after doing some homework. Nice to see another fellow owner and I do have some pics of said syst in my T-Blog. Cheers and enjoy ur syst :yamseng:

Edited by het

Nice choice on 3005SE cos i got that set as well :sport-smiley-004: I'm really not technically inclined but i've paired it up with Onkyo 608 after doing some homework. Nice to see another fellow owner and I do have some pics of said syst in my T-Blog. Cheers and enjoy ur syst :yamseng:

Het,

How was the sound pairing with the Onkyo 608? And how much you paid for your receiver? I am comtemplating with either 608 or Yamaha 667, but Kelvin from KEF told me he find it difficult to tune the speakers with other amps (he recommend Pioneer 920). Read somewhere in forum that Pioneer price in Spore jack up too high comparing to US price.

Het,

How was the sound pairing with the Onkyo 608? And how much you paid for your receiver? I am comtemplating with either 608 or Yamaha 667, but Kelvin from KEF told me he find it difficult to tune the speakers with other amps (he recommend Pioneer 920). Read somewhere in forum that Pioneer price in Spore jack up too high comparing to US price.

Hi

Take note Onkyo 608 do not have Multi EQ Audyssey. You may consider the 708. The Yammy 667 is a good entry level receiver.

KEF shop do not have exclusive for Yamaha or Onkyo amps, thus they can only pair it up with Pioneer amps.

KEF is a good set with a dedicated centre speaker. Do be wary of the sub though.

cheers

Het,

i am sorry to ask as i could not understand how come it is difficult to tune speaker with other amps?

if they (the guys who sell the speakers) should able to tune for u whether what amp u are using...

and i believe they should not be using any calibration mic from the amp as they are believed to be professional and it should be done manually.

rem that u are not buying HTIb here...it is a KEF

i am sorry to ask as i could not understand how come it is difficult to tune speaker with other amps?

if they (the guys who sell the speakers) should able to tune for u whether what amp u are using...

and i believe they should not be using any calibration mic from the amp as they are believed to be professional and it should be done manually.

rem that u are not buying HTIb here...it is a KEF

Joewoo, i am assuming your setup going to be 5.1.

some simplistic readup

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speake...uide/index.html

Het,

Hi, as mentioned, am not technically inclined and i'm quite sure i cant differentiate the sound difference btw 2 amps :( Moreover, I din really get a chance to pair up our speakers to different amp. I sort of like did my homework online and went for it. Matter of fact, I din even pair up my KEF to 608 to perform any audition !! Reasons I choose 608 are predominantly due to: within budget + relatively new model + tons of good review online and I thought to myself I could not be too wrong by getting this (608), hence I went for it. I got my 608 from Alpha Audio for $730 (went to a few shops and tat was the cheapest then).

I got my KEF from Kelvin as well. He just came over to my place to perform the calibration just last week. IMHO, he failed to impress me on his technical knowledge and know-how. Yes, he is an earnest individual and did some stuffz to my syst but you can sense an individual is pretty much half-baked after conversing with them for sometime, even though I may be a noob and have no knowledge to begin with.... if u get my drift :unsure: Kelvin did have some small difficulty when he was fiddling with my amp controller. He somewhat gave me the feeling that he is unfamiliar with my amp, or for that matter, onkyo ...... Hmzzzz

Bro vicenzo70, I'm trying my luck here (pls do not feel obligated), am wondering if you could drop by my place and help me with your expert opinion ?? I somewhat feel the potential of the syst is not maximized ?? But then again, since i'm a noob, I could be very wrong ya :( Or you can direct me with calibration figures of what you think is generally acceptable. I understand diff individual have diff needs and expectation but since I have no experience / knowledge to begin with, as well as a basis for comparision, i'm pretty much open to any inputs :P

Edited by het

Hi, as mentioned, am not technically inclined and i'm quite sure i cant differentiate the sound difference btw 2 amps :( Moreover, I din really get a chance to pair up our speakers to different amp. I sort of like did my homework online and went for it. Matter of fact, I din even pair up my KEF to 608 to perform any audition !! Reasons I choose 608 are predominantly due to: within budget + relatively new model + tons of good review online and I thought to myself I could not be too wrong by getting this (608), hence I went for it. I got my 608 from Alpha Audio for $730 (went to a few shops and tat was the cheapest then).

I got my KEF from Kelvin as well. He just came over to my place to perform the calibration just last week. IMHO, he failed to impress me on his technical knowledge and know-how. Yes, he is an earnest individual and did some stuffz to my syst but you can sense an individual is pretty much half-baked after conversing with them for sometime, even though I may be a noob and have no knowledge to begin with.... if u get my drift :unsure: Kelvin did have some small difficulty when he was fiddling with my amp controller. He somewhat gave me the feeling that he is unfamiliar with my amp, or for that matter, onkyo ...... Hmzzzz

Bro vicenzo70, I'm trying my luck here (pls do not feel obligated), am wondering if you could drop by my place and help me with your expert opinion ?? I somewhat feel the potential of the syst is not maximized ?? But then again, since i'm a noob, I could be very wrong ya :( Or you can direct me with calibration figures of what you think is generally acceptable. I understand diff individual have diff needs and expectation but since I have no experience / knowledge to begin with, as well as a basis for comparision, i'm pretty much open to any inputs :P

Bro,

Read the manual. Onkyo has Audyssey calibration. Use that, its superb.

I understand if you couldnt get that OMMph feel as it may due to the subwoofer's capability or the lack of it.

Im not sure whats the technical & performance specs for KEF's sub, but most of the time, a sub will play a big part in giving

the owner the difference needed.

SVS or Velodyne sub are 2 brands I'll recommend & proud owners of these brands in this forum will vouch for them.

Since youve already bought KEF, just enjoy them until the next upgrade but do consider changing the sub.

cheers

Bro,

Read the manual. Onkyo has Audyssey calibration. Use that, its superb.

I understand if you couldnt get that OMMph feel as it may due to the subwoofer's capability or the lack of it.

Im not sure whats the technical & performance specs for KEF's sub, but most of the time, a sub will play a big part in giving

the owner the difference needed.

SVS or Velodyne sub are 2 brands I'll recommend & proud owners of these brands in this forum will vouch for them.

Since youve already bought KEF, just enjoy them until the next upgrade but do consider changing the sub.

cheers

Noted. Ive read the manual but not exactly thorough. Will try to find the Audyssey calibration as per your mentioned. Just for info, for the sub, wats the price range for an entry level ? Tks

Noted. Ive read the manual but not exactly thorough. Will try to find the Audyssey calibration as per your mentioned. Just for info, for the sub, wats the price range for an entry level ? Tks

Quoted from KEC

SVS subs

SB10 NSD - $800++

SB12 NSD - $1,350

Both are small box sub. Dont be deceived by its size. Its the best so far. And if you dont liked it,

I'll buy it from you. Expect to wait as theyre low on stock, i think.

Velodyne -

8Q or 10Q series. Both are performance packers. Neighbor will call you to check if there's an earthquake :D

cheers

Quoted from KEC

SVS subs

SB10 NSD - $800++

SB12 NSD - $1,350

Both are small box sub. Dont be deceived by its size. Its the best so far. And if you dont liked it,

I'll buy it from you. Expect to wait as theyre low on stock, i think.

Velodyne -

8Q or 10Q series. Both are performance packers. Neighbor will call you to check if there's an earthquake :D

cheers

Just googled for pics for the said sub and base on wat I saw and its price, seems to me I'm unlikely to change in the near future....haha. But tks for the advise bro :D

Edited by het

Hey Vicenzo.. Amongst Velodyne and SVS subs, Which do you reckon would suit the B&W 684 685 theatre systems? budget would be 1000+++ cos alternative could have been the B&W 610 sub

Just googled for pics for the said sub and base on wat I saw and its price, seems to me I'm unlikely to change in the near future....haha. But tks for the advise bro :D

Not a prob ;)

But dont gauge by pics & price. You just gotta hear it. Since youre already this far, might as well go for the whole hog.

cheers