Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Hi all,

will like opinion on the following setup from the experts here:

5.1 speakers - B&W MT30 (are there better satellite speakers out there at this price point?)

AV amplifier - Onkyo SR608 vs yamaha V667 ( which one is better and more future proof?)

Intending it for a relatively small dedicated entertainment room which will see 60% movie and 40% music.

Thanks!!

:sport-smiley-018:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi all

I have a budget of 3k and have shortlisted Definitive Tech Procinema 800 (KEC package) and Crystal Acoustics TX 3D-12 ? Anyone heard of the Crystal Acoustics, i tried searching the forumn but cant fnd anything. There is some good online review though. How do they compare and is it even a good comparison? Sorry i am a noob. Appreciate your views and comments! Thanks in advance.

Bro how much did the cm9 pair cost.

Hi Joewoo,

i was in a situation that is quite close to your's. i have limited range of speaker to recommend you as i have only audited two brands.

B&W and Def T. i tried the procinema 800 to Mytos floorstanding ranges for the Def T and also B&W MT30 to CM9.

i like Def T pricing but we like the B&W 's sound especially when listening to your own CDs. for floorstanding, the ranges are much wider, u or "i" can appreiate the depth of the music. To me, home theater movie sounded almost the same... for both range.

what i did was brought her to audit Def T 1st. let her "hear" the differents between floorstanding vs Sat speaker on music. (not movie)

then brought her to audit B&W. She loved the sound and the rest is history.

if your wife do not like floorstander, then get at least a bookshelf speaker but if your focus becomes movie. Def T p800 will be sufficient, if u like style, go MT30.

that is my experiences with my needs, different person may have different needs.

go audit and it is easily to decide.

bring your own Dvds and Cds.:)

Hi all,

will like opinion on the following setup from the experts here:

5.1 speakers - B&W MT30 (are there better satellite speakers out there at this price point?)

AV amplifier - Onkyo SR608 vs yamaha V667 ( which one is better and more future proof?)

Intending it for a relatively small dedicated entertainment room which will see 60% movie and 40% music.

Thanks!!

:sport-smiley-018:

MT30 are basically M1 speakers complimented with the superb PV-1 sub.

Future proofing for how long? The Onkyo 608 is good enough.

Im inclined to ask u to get the MT-30 as im a B&W fan

cheers

Hi all

I have a budget of 3k and have shortlisted Definitive Tech Procinema 800 (KEC package) and Crystal Acoustics TX 3D-12 ? Anyone heard of the Crystal Acoustics, i tried searching the forumn but cant fnd anything. There is some good online review though. How do they compare and is it even a good comparison? Sorry i am a noob. Appreciate your views and comments! Thanks in advance.

Dont understand. If u have never auditioned or heard of Crystal acoustic, why take the risks?

Have you tried/auditioned Monitor Audio or B&W speakers for this matter?

cheers

Hi,

I am quite new here. Just buy a resale 5rm and planning to make one common room as entertainment room.

So, now checking some HT systems. Mostly for movie and gaming.

My budget is not so high, about 1.5k to 2k.

I just saw a Pioneer Todoroki system @ Best Denki, its PHT-77T, consist of VSX 820 receiver, HTP-RS77 todoroki 5 speaker system and S-RS3SW - 200w active subwoofer. The price is only $1,200. I am thinking of top up $200 to change the receiver to VSX 920 but use the same speakers system.

Here is the link

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront2/Prod...;CatId=64,8,104

Thanks

I have only 2 things to comment.

1) Your budget may NOT get you a decent HTS.

2) The Pioneer VSX 820 is a decent receiver but that cant be said of its speakers nor its woofer.

cheers

Dont understand. If u have never auditioned or heard of Crystal acoustic, why take the risks?

Have you tried/auditioned Monitor Audio or B&W speakers for this matter?

cheers

Hi bro Vicenzo

Thanks for your reply. Are the Def Tech Pro Cinema 800 comparable to the MT 25 since their price point are at similar levels (at least what i was quoted)? I tried them both and like the Def Tech better when i watch movie demo- it seem more 'immersive'. My usage: 80% movies/game and 20% music.

Hi bro Vicenzo

Thanks for your reply. Are the Def Tech Pro Cinema 800 comparable to the MT 25 since their price point are at similar levels (at least what i was quoted)? I tried them both and like the Def Tech better when i watch movie demo- it seem more 'immersive'. My usage: 80% movies/game and 20% music.

Was a DefTech user before & yes, for watching movies, the audio is rather crisp but slight hollowed.

I prefer audio which is more full bodied. You may consider upgrading your sub.

I rate B&W better because it has more "character" in its audio. DefTech`s weak link is evident when it comes to

music listening. I would advise one to get a more balanced HTS.

cheers

MT30 are basically M1 speakers complimented with the superb PV-1 sub.

Future proofing for how long? The Onkyo 608 is good enough.

Im inclined to ask u to get the MT-30 as im a B&W fan

cheers

Thanks for the input vicenzo70!

After auditioning a few satellite speakers...I still prefer B&W's M1 and PV-1....it helps when the WAF is pretty high ;)

The one concern I have about the MT30 is the age....it's almost a 5-6yrs since the launch? You mean so far no other's have managed to usurp it from it's throne (especially with regards to it's recommendation status in whathifi)

For onkyo 608...is there any point for me to top up for the 708?

Should I get the speaker/sub wires that one of the dealer is trying to sell me as a package deal or should I just get better quality ones from belden etc?

thanks once again!

Thanks for the input vicenzo70!

After auditioning a few satellite speakers...I still prefer B&W's M1 and PV-1....it helps when the WAF is pretty high ;)

The one concern I have about the MT30 is the age....it's almost a 5-6yrs since the launch? You mean so far no other's have managed to usurp it from it's throne (especially with regards to it's recommendation status in whathifi)

For onkyo 608...is there any point for me to top up for the 708?

Should I get the speaker/sub wires that one of the dealer is trying to sell me as a package deal or should I just get better quality ones from belden etc?

thanks once again!

MT30 may be around a long time & tats becoz of its popularity & demand! And yes, no other sat speakers has managed to dethrone this

beauty. But of coz, the BOSE owners would say otherwise as their prices are effectively more expensive.

Yes, the 708 has more edge over the 608 (multi EQ calibration, Faroudja upscaling) Its all in the question of budget.

At this time being, the dealers cables would suffice. You may consider using Belden only for your LCR speakers.

Hope this info helps.

You getting black or white.

cheers

MT30 may be around a long time & tats becoz of its popularity & demand! And yes, no other sat speakers has managed to dethrone this

beauty. But of coz, the BOSE owners would say otherwise as their prices are effectively more expensive.

Yes, the 708 has more edge over the 608 (multi EQ calibration, Faroudja upscaling) Its all in the question of budget.

At this time being, the dealers cables would suffice. You may consider using Belden only for your LCR speakers.

Hope this info helps.

You getting black or white.

cheers

Technology wise, will 708 be more future proof compared to 608? Or it doesn't really matter once a new generation eg. 609/709 debut?

oh, I'll be getting black...I think black will be less distracting in a darkened entertainment room.

Was a DefTech user before & yes, for watching movies, the audio is rather crisp but slight hollowed.

I prefer audio which is more full bodied. You may consider upgrading your sub.

I rate B&W better because it has more "character" in its audio. DefTech`s weak link is evident when it comes to

music listening. I would advise one to get a more balanced HTS.

cheers

Bro, thanks for your reply. very helpful! I am considering Onkyo 608 or 708 and Yahama 667. Which brand and model goes better with the B&W?

Bro Vicenzo70,

After going around to audition speaker system (B&W MT30/ Def Tech/ Tannoy Arena/ Floor Standing), we have decided and bought the KEF KHT3005SE-White from Adelphi ($2700). Was reading your previous post, you mentioned that the speakers being 8 ohms will need more power to drive it if the receivers are under power. Not really sure what you mean by that, would be nice if you can provide some education here.

Kelvin from KEF actually recommend Pioneer VSX-920K receivers for the speakers system, and he mentioned that it is more than sufficient for my living room area of (Front 3.7m x Depth 4.5m). He also demonstrated the internal cooling fan effect which keep the receiver temp down.

To simplify the matters, maybe you can give me some answer to the following query :

Speakers Specs : KHT3005SE speaker input impedance 8 ohms / Power handling 100W

Receiver Specs : VSX-920K power output Front/Center/Surround 6 ohms, 125W/ch

<<Does the 6 ohms output for the receiver mean that POWER CONSUMPTION will be higher to drive the 8 ohms speakers or the speaker will under-perform because the receiver can only reach 6 ohms?>>

<<I presume that the receiver having 125W/ch is capable to handle the 100W speaker in this configuration, correct?>>

If this receiver is not good enough, does it mean that I will need to get a matching receiver that can give power output for Front/Center/Surround @ 8 ohms and minimum 100W/ch?

And would be nice if you can recommend a receiver model that can give justice to this speakers system. Thank you in advance.

Bro Vicenzo70,

After going around to audition speaker system (B&W MT30/ Def Tech/ Tannoy Arena/ Floor Standing), we have decided and bought the KEF KHT3005SE-White from Adelphi ($2700). Was reading your previous post, you mentioned that the speakers being 8 ohms will need more power to drive it if the receivers are under power. Not really sure what you mean by that, would be nice if you can provide some education here.

Kelvin from KEF actually recommend Pioneer VSX-920K receivers for the speakers system, and he mentioned that it is more than sufficient for my living room area of (Front 3.7m x Depth 4.5m). He also demonstrated the internal cooling fan effect which keep the receiver temp down.

To simplify the matters, maybe you can give me some answer to the following query :

Speakers Specs : KHT3005SE speaker input impedance 8 ohms / Power handling 100W

Receiver Specs : VSX-920K power output Front/Center/Surround 6 ohms, 125W/ch

<<Does the 6 ohms output for the receiver mean that POWER CONSUMPTION will be higher to drive the 8 ohms speakers or the speaker will under-perform because the receiver can only reach 6 ohms?>>

<<I presume that the receiver having 125W/ch is capable to handle the 100W speaker in this configuration, correct?>>

If this receiver is not good enough, does it mean that I will need to get a matching receiver that can give power output for Front/Center/Surround @ 8 ohms and minimum 100W/ch?

And would be nice if you can recommend a receiver model that can give justice to this speakers system. Thank you in advance.

Hi

Have u wondered why 6 Ohm rated receivers need a internal cooling fan?

Thats becoz the blardy thing heats up easily!! Same goes for some Onkyo receivers.

Yes, on both counts on your queries, 6 ohm rated requires more power to drive 8 Ohm rated speakers.

And yes, receiver with more power can handle in proper speakers with the corresponding power or less.

I do suggest you audition Yamaha or Onkyo receivers. Pioneer amp may be good but Im not at all impressed.

cheers