Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

Hi Xini,

Thanks so much for your help :curse:

Seems a long time for them to do the screeding...3 to 4 weeks according to the form..haiz...

Just did an incredibly crazy thing yesterday on my renovation plans...

Have decided after much thought and debate with wife that the COMPLETED cornice section outside the kitchen may have to go to make way for a more practical storage cabinet. It's very heartpain cos its more $$$ down the drain and the item is already 100% done. But I think it is better to bite the bullet now than to live with a mistake that I will regret more later on. Storage space is really a premium in our ultra congested flat and the area taken up by the cornice could have been put into much better use . Hope my ID can quote me a good price for the new design, if it is too expensive may be back to square one again....

Also requested to trade our instant water heaters to an electric drum heater. It really seem a bit silly if all the pipings are already done and we don't use them - this was a point I could not reconcile with for a long time. This means that I will have to trade off by living with an ugly-looking device on the top of my kitchen, but on the bright side, we can now have hot water for the kitchen (which was what my wife want all along), and we won't have to run the risk of instant electric heaters spoiling the looks of our toilets.

Hope we won't have any more last-minute changes...already wasted quite a bit of "Yuan Wang" money already... :(:(:(

Hi,

Was looking through the pamphlet yesterday for City Gas...Think the gas heater is free..Not sure whether its still available...Can save some money if its free..Maybe you want to check it out?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi almonddust;

Good choice on the Simmons. But really King is overkill in our MBR, maybe you hack the adj room.

Is the LG you bought has a Artcool header? The LG is actually very popular in US and Europe. If it is Artcool, like to see if it is noisy, read some review that Artcool is louder than regular header, but I like the design.

Not the Artcool Mirror type. Was attracted by Artcool initially by it's slick & modern design, but after hands-on, the metal cover is really very heavy. Not good in the long run if we need to remove it for cleaning. The supporting hinges for the front panel are pretty flimpsy as it is supported by only the two hinges.

In the end, we got the "normal" looking one. :(:(:(

Hi almonddust,

We got Simmons Classic from Akerman too. Didnt get it at the expo exhibition though. They were having 3rd anniversay sale last sat and sun then. Bought a queen-sized mattress cos our room too small :(

Dear neighbours,

Just want to check what is the estimated time for HDB to rectify the defects. We have submitted the defects list on 4 Oct but the defects are still not rectified yet.

Also, does anyone know the number to call for cement sreeding.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

My defects took 1 week..submitted form on 26 Sept & completed on 3 Oct. But when we went to check, they didn't rectify one item properly...so when i feedback to them, they immediately got the maintenance guy to come up to check n rectify. So on 6 Oct it was completed. But mine is very minor defects...i'm not that particular... :(

If i'm not wrong the rectification is done by Chip Eng Seng..so u can check with the office at the void deck of Blk 79C. For me, town council also gave me the contact no. of the officer-in-charge (Barry Lee) if i need to check on status of defects.

As for screeding, they took 2 weeks to complete. I only requested for screeding of the 3 bedrooms floor. Screeding is done by another contractor...not Chip Eng Seng.

:(

Was looking through the pamphlet yesterday for City Gas...Think the gas heater is free..Not sure whether its still available...Can save some money if its free..Maybe you want to check it out?

Hi, I have checked with Citygas too and almost decided on the spot to get the free heater, but after reading the discussion in the forum, I realised that the 5 Ltr capacity is too small and may not meet our needs in the long run. Furthermore, reading from Shivan's post, I get to understand that the storage heater actually retains the temperature of the water for quite a while after it is turned off - therefore energy consumption may not be that scary too. :(

Oh no! :( Hopefully it won't cost you too much. But it really does make more sense to change it into a storage cabinet. :(

I am still evaluating the situation, but the quote from the ID will really affect my final decision. The sunken cost is actually quite substantial (let's just say you can engage a PE with the same amount!), but if the rectification is within our means, we will definitely go for it!

Edited by gadgetman

Hi, I have checked with Citygas too and almost decided on the spot to get the free heater, but after reading the discussion in the forum, I realised that the 5 Ltr capacity is too small and may not meet our needs in the long run. Furthermore, reading from Shivan's post, I get to understand that the storage heater actually retains the temperature of the water for quite a while after it is turned off - therefore energy consumption may not be that scary too. :jawdrop:

I am still evaluating the situation, but the quote from the ID will really affect my final decision. The sunken cost is actually quite substantial (let's just say you can engage a PE with the same amount!), but if the rectification is within our means, we will definitely go for it!

what happened?

can PM me?

Another aircon FAQ :

How do I determine the air conditioner capacity required for my room?For a quick estimation, we can use the rule of thumb:

Area (Length x Width) X 65 = BTU/hr

E.g. Room size 10ft X 10ft = 100ft2 X 65 = 6,500BTU/hr.

Here's another way to calculate for those who are only familiar with meters (courtesy of Ridz from SingaporeBrides)

Approx 1 ft = 3 meters

length (in metres) X breadth (in metres)= ans

then take the answer multiply by 0.2 = ans2

then take ans 2 x 3412 this will give you the BTU.

So like a 3200 length and 2200 breadth its

3.2 x 2.2 = 7.04

7.04 x 0.2 = 1.408

1.408 x 3412 = 4804btu required. etc.

My defects took 1 week..submitted form on 26 Sept & completed on 3 Oct. But when we went to check, they didn't rectify one item properly...so when i feedback to them, they immediately got the maintenance guy to come up to check n rectify. So on 6 Oct it was completed. But mine is very minor defects...i'm not that particular... :dunno:

If i'm not wrong the rectification is done by Chip Eng Seng..so u can check with the office at the void deck of Blk 79C. For me, town council also gave me the contact no. of the officer-in-charge (Barry Lee) if i need to check on status of defects.

As for screeding, they took 2 weeks to complete. I only requested for screeding of the 3 bedrooms floor. Screeding is done by another contractor...not Chip Eng Seng.

:notti:

Hi Bethel,

Thanks for the update.

They took quite fast to rectify the defects for you. We reported defects for hallow tiles at the bathrooms and kitchens. Is that considered major or minor? :(

Our officer is also Barry Lee. Think I will give him a call to check.

Here's another air-con calculation :

Same approx 1 ft = 3 meters

Air-con cooling capacity required in British Thermal Units (BTU's), calculate the volume of your room ie length x width x height (eg. in feet).

As a general rule of "BLK79", each cubic foot of space requires 5 BTU's of cooling capacity, so you need to multiply the volume by 5.

In addition, you need to add in the heat gain from other sources. These include people (400 BTU's each if there are more than two in the room) as well as computers and photocopiers (400 BTU's each).

For example, a room 10ft x 20ft x 8ft = 1600 x 5 = 8000 BTU's. With three people in the room, add 1 x 400 = 8400 BTU's. Add three PC's, 3 x 400 = 9600 BTU's total.

So I don't have 3 PCs or the third person, so 9K fan-coil is enough. Oopss... TV in the room .... let you go and calculate, normal 21inch TV or Plasma TV :notti:

Air-con cooling capacity required in British Thermal Units (BTU's), calculate the volume of your room ie length x width x height (eg. in feet).

As a general rule of "BLK79", each cubic foot of space requires 5 BTU's of cooling capacity, so you need to multiply the volume by 5.

In addition, you need to add in the heat gain from other sources. These include people (400 BTU's each if there are more than two in the room) as well as computers and photocopiers (400 BTU's each).

For example, a room 10ft x 20ft x 8ft = 1600 x 5 = 8000 BTU's. With three people in the room, add 1 x 400 = 8400 BTU's. Add three PC's, 3 x 400 = 9600 BTU's total.

So I don't have 3 PCs or the third person, so 9K fan-coil is enough. Oopss... TV in the room .... let you go and calculate, normal 21inch TV or Plasma TV :bangwall:

interesting...

with alister's and xinni's calculation for air-con BTU going on, suddenly i feel that i'm back to sec 3/4 physics' lesson. sheesh...and i failed my pure sciences miserably...lol!

by the way, we would like to thank strawberry_pear and her hubby for the lunch treat on sunday! but must still invite us for house warming hor! :unsure:

this is the last week of Oct liao hope i can get loan application.... :bangwall:

yeah yeah yeah... we've got our loan application letter le... so happy... :sport-smiley-004:

So I don't have 3 PCs or the third person, so 9K fan-coil is enough. Oopss... TV in the room .... let you go and calculate, normal 21inch TV or Plasma TV !!

Sorry BLK79,

Monkey see, monkey do.

It's approx 3 ft = 1 meter

anyone interested in this brand Lotus can get it from parkmall... i saw the showroom there beside the simmons showroom but it looks v ex.... hehe still v happy w my serta afterall :P

hihi xinni, replied liao!! :curse:

hihi gadgetgal,

u can go to alexandra opp ikea.... walk through all the shops and make Aik Leong @blk 123 ur last shop... tell the lady boss the prices that u saw and she will try to match and even lower... v gd service and price :P she has a range of fridge, tv, washer, hood and hob, oven etc....

hv u consider getting a dryer also?? r yr unit and gadgetman same unit 33 n 31 respectively?? hope to drop by ... sun hw..??

Hi Hi.. sorry miss out a lot of things..as I hv been unwell last weekend.

Thanks for the info of the spot!.

btw, I am from another estate (Jalan Membina), while my name and gadgetman's just so happen to be similar!. hehehe..

Dear 79ers

I've got insider news that our MP Dr Ng Eng Heng intend to hold a massive BBQ/ gathering in Sept next year to welcome us into his estate!

I think the TPY Central RC is also looking at recruitment for Grassroots leaders. Tt's why they also wanna hold a get together/ makan session with you guys asap on a Tuesday to recruit new blood. Anyone's got any ideas what you guys wanna do? The chairperson suggested karaoke at the RC Centre but I don't think u guys will be interested in that as the songs are all old old songs....

Anyone interested and have any ideas, please share here.

P.S. Gadgetman, Alister, Strawberry....

You guys are interested in joining the RC if I'm not wrong? Wanna make use of this opp to get to know the chairperson? PM me and lemme know... !! :P

Cheers! !!