Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pinktini

Our First Home @ Yew Tee

sigh super headache. just as i thot everything was going to be completed soon (flooring tomorrow, doors next week), some of my common bathroom wall tiles popped up. i tried to save money by not changing the tiles in that toilet. but think all the hacking and vibrations cause it to come loose.

can say is good thing also cos it pop out when the contractors are all still working. but headache cos my plans tomorrow all screwed up alr, can no longer find the tiles cos so old alr, so I have to add in a trip to hafary to find compatible tiles. i was still envisioning sleeping late, have a nice relaxed brunch, then go song-cho find my kitchen baskets. :curse:

i foresee that my downstairs neighbour (who works night shift and sleeps in the afternoon) going to complain again. cos they'll need to hack off a strip of tiles horizontally, so i can add new tiles, then won't look so odd. sigh.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Some other cause of tiles popping out is also with the binding and the setting. Just remind your tile setters about it.

thanks for the advice. we think its likely cos the tiles have been there for 10 years and the workmanship might not have been fantastic then. hence the reno caused it to pop out. will be asking my contractor to check all the tiles in the toilet tomorrow.

went down to a few places over the weekend. let's start with saturday first. went to Hafary and choosed a few tiles to see if they could match with the common toilet wall. then bought a pull-out basket from Song-Cho.

Reaching the house, found out why the tiles popped out. Turns out the previous owner's contractor cut corners on the tiling. They used lots of sand!! My contractor told me, don't even need to hack, they just dig dig dig and the tile can be pulled out already. -_-" Fortunately, one of the tiles I chose matched the wall very very closely. *phew*

One happy thing, flooring is up! They were working on the skirting when I was there. All's left is to wait for carpentry to come in, and they'll varnish the floor and my doors. :D :D :D

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

That night also started off our buying spree. Went to Courts Bukit Timah cos we had nothing to do, then found they had the Samsung Diamond Drum 9kg top-loader washing machine on sale. The 8kg one I've been eyeing was around $400+.

I bought this 9kg machine at.... $389!!

WA11VP_medium.jpg

Moving on to Sunday's shopping spree, we headed down to Courts Megastore @ Tampines. It seriously has more selections than other outlets! Had quite an interesting afternoon too.

We tried to find the same washing machine again, cos my sister-in-law wanted one too. When I asked one of the salesman, he told me he don't know, ask me go back Bt Timah branch to buy. So we walked quite a distance away to another section already when another guy came running after me, asked if I was the one asking bout the WM. He say still got, next time don't ask the guy in specs!! haha, he seemed pretty angry about it, I think his colleagues alerted him about it, so he went searching for us. Turns out the specs-wearing guy was fridge section one. Anyway, managed to buy that at same price.

Then, we started looking at fridges. At first looking for normal fridge, personally I like side-by-side fridge, but hubby overruled me. (but i got my ways ;)) The salesperson introduced us to a LG GR-B207WLQ Refrigerator which was going for about $1.2k. I told him way above budget, got discount or not. Then he told us can give us the limited set pricing which was actually sold out the night before. Dunno is salesman talk or not la. But $998 with NTUC $150 voucher seemed like a pretty good deal, plus I like the fridge. It was easy to convince the hubby, after all, I'm gonna be the cook, so we got it!

lg-refrigerator-GR-B207WLQ-front-large.p

Next stop, furniture...

We were looking for a sofa bed. So far, all those we've tried were pretty firm, not comfy to put in the game room and play games in. The ones in Courts were quite comfy, we were pondering over one which was priced at $399, then the salesman came over and showed us how the arm rests can be converted into foot rests. SOLD!

Ok, we were supposed to stop already and move to IKEA to find TV console, when we itchy backside and decided to go try all the mattresses in the Courts Sleep Clinic. Saw this Sleep to Live brand, it's pretty new in Singapore. (http://www.sleeptolive.com/home.html)

So anyway, first he asked us to go to a computer, key in our age, height, sleeping position, and any areas of aches/joint pain we have. Then we laid down on a diagnostic bed for about 3 mins. All the time, you can feel rollers underneath the mattress surface checking you out. The screen above the bed shows you how much pressure you're putting on the bed etc etc. So after the test is over, you get a printout stating which kind of bed you're suited for. There are 4 colour codes - different firmness. Mine was Tan, hubby's was Blue. Cos I was lighter, I could suit a softer bed, while he needed something more firm to support himself.

So we tried and we loved our own choices. Now... here comes the problem, hubby one was too firm for me. Mine was too soft for him. So.. how?? Now here comes the best part! The bed is split into 2 with a divider in between. So its a 2-in-1. You wont feel the divider if you roll over la. The Series 400 king-size was going for launch price $2554. But Courts had $300 off if you spent above $2800. So we added a $229 memory foam pillow, delivery charge and after deducting the $300, we paid $2512!

Ok, enough long-windedness for today, just so happy with my purchases! We ended up not going to IKEA cos really pok alr, no money...

wah u must have been very gleeful with all that shopping!

nice floors, i like! btw, you bought the same fridge as i did but i only paid $799..i suppose your NTUC vouchers balances it out..

and that bed technology thingy - way cool! wow..wish i knew about that before we bought our bed..but kinda pricey too eh? aiya, nvm as long you happy with your purchases can liao..

wah u must have been very gleeful with all that shopping!

nice floors, i like! btw, you bought the same fridge as i did but i only paid $799..i suppose your NTUC vouchers balances it out..

and that bed technology thingy - way cool! wow..wish i knew about that before we bought our bed..but kinda pricey too eh? aiya, nvm as long you happy with your purchases can liao..

haha, i also just posted in ur t-blog bout the fridge. we got different colours. shopping is fun, but i dread to see the bill. we only put the bed on installment, the rest we paid in full. heartache.

hmm, the bed cos we chose their middle range. the lowest end one king-size about 1k+. we were initially aiming for simmons celestine bed which was abt $4124, but kept dragging cos can't bear to spend so much. this bed was very comfy for me and is almost $2k less, so we thot, why not? :)

headed down to see the house last night.

before that, i was at Umaisarah's place collecting the bookshelf she was free-cycling. thanks again, we'll put it to good use with all the books we have! :D

bottom half of wall tiles replaced!

4620335641_9a0ca0b9cd_m.jpg

flooring done all the way to front door!

4620299415_ae5ae00b48_m.jpg

doors up!

4620295913_95e58abaa2_m.jpg

skirtings up!

4620303477_4ed1882964_m.jpg

tadahhh, along with the dismantled bookshelf, the first piece of furniture in the house.

4620913430_2176082cb6.jpg

a teeny weeny bit of a shock abt 11am just now when the Courts ppl called me. they wanted to deliver my sofa bed. i was like.. HUH???? My delivery is 19 June, not May!!! lucky they just okok, june june. then I quickly go check all my invoices, that blur salesperson went to put 19 May, sigh, my fault for not double checking also. But I thought it was simple and straightforward. I already purchased fridge & washing machine and had told him to tag it on to the same delivery date of 19 Jun. He 'Okok'.. turns out NOT OK lor. oh well. I called up Courts again and re-confirmed all my deliveries. phew..

now I need to call up Eric of Hommage and push back the delivery of my sofa & coffee table, I doubt the floor will be sand down and varnished by next Saturday. maybe I should just drop by the shop and take a look at their bed frames too, wonder what's their price range there...

headed down to see the house last night.

before that, i was at Umaisarah's place collecting the bookshelf she was free-cycling. thanks again, we'll put it to good use with all the books we have! :D

tadahhh, along with the dismantled bookshelf, the first piece of furniture in the house.

4620913430_2176082cb6.jpg

a teeny weeny bit of a shock abt 11am just now when the Courts ppl called me. they wanted to deliver my sofa bed. i was like.. HUH???? My delivery is 19 June, not May!!! lucky they just okok, june june. then I quickly go check all my invoices, that blur salesperson went to put 19 May, sigh, my fault for not double checking also. But I thought it was simple and straightforward. I already purchased fridge & washing machine and had told him to tag it on to the same delivery date of 19 Jun. He 'Okok'.. turns out NOT OK lor. oh well. I called up Courts again and re-confirmed all my deliveries. phew..

now I need to call up Eric of Hommage and push back the delivery of my sofa & coffee table, I doubt the floor will be sand down and varnished by next Saturday. maybe I should just drop by the shop and take a look at their bed frames too, wonder what's their price range there...

Oh, so you got the bookshelf. I was considering if i should ask for it also, haha... Anyway it matches the color of your floor quite nicely, so good for you. :)

Oh, so you got the bookshelf. I was considering if i should ask for it also, haha... Anyway it matches the color of your floor quite nicely, so good for you. :)

haha ya, it's quite similar to the kind of bookshelf i'm looking out for, cos can put books and also display my hello kitty collection and the hubby's gundams. :P so quickly grab le.

[

hi pinktini,

is yours parquet flooring ? do you know how to protect the roller chairs from damaging the parquet floor ... rugs ?

[

hi pinktini,

is yours parquet flooring ? do you know how to protect the roller chairs from damaging the parquet floor ... rugs ?

hmm, i intend to put a rug in the study room where there are roller chairs. other than that, i don't know how to protect alr. my current home also parquet flooring, quite some scratches cos my parents nv put carpet/rug. so i guess can do our best to just prevent, but cannot expect the floors to remain in perfect condition after living in for a while.

now i'm more worried abt when the deliveries of my fridge/washing machine/sofa etc come in. scared they scratch the floor.

i saw some plastic floor protectors at IKEA the other day ... but they were too big to fit between the floor space i had ... there was what i wanted to do initially but i'm also considering a rug now too.

yeah ... shifting in of those stuff ... got to watch the delivery men very carefully ... risk of dirtying or damaging walls and flooring. The really professional ones will measure everything including turning radius before they start shifting the things ....

hmm, i intend to put a rug in the study room where there are roller chairs. other than that, i don't know how to protect alr. my current home also parquet flooring, quite some scratches cos my parents nv put carpet/rug. so i guess can do our best to just prevent, but cannot expect the floors to remain in perfect condition after living in for a while.

now i'm more worried abt when the deliveries of my fridge/washing machine/sofa etc come in. scared they scratch the floor.