Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pinktini

Our First Home @ Yew Tee

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wow, there's quite a bit of built in stuffs. If you want to keep your reno cost down, you might want to consider keeping some of the built in furniture. For example, the study table looks quite decent to me. :) So can save the cost of demolishing and rebuilding.

What design concept do you have in mind?

coffee_o: ya, everything must go. the furniture not in very good shape. now i know what the pipe is for, haha, still thinking how come so odd, out of nowhere one pipe.

bigeyedfish: haha, i usually just dial McDelivery and get them to deliver to doorstep. I'm lazy at times to that extent.

Angel81: Its a good idea, except I only have 1 friend staying in that area, everyone else is in the East or Central. :( The hubby's buddies all stay in Yew Tee though, lucky him. I can foresee mahjong and playstation sessions at my place in future, which I'm fine with, as long as I don't have to clean up after them.

CJRedDevil: Yupyup. But not going to be over-the-top la. Fainting over reno costs.

coldflamez: Ya, thought of it, but the condition of the existing furniture not so good, so all have to go. Hehe, you need to see it to know what I mean. The furniture have been there for 11 years! I like classical style, while the hubby likes modern, so we're thinking modern with classical touches.

Got a quote back today, 51K!!!!!! After going through one round to remove stuff I don't need, it's still 46K. And this was a firm which we thought would provide lower quotes. :( So upsetting, we need to re-think what we need and don't need for the house. We're hoping to keep renovation costs under 30K.

Just wondering, how do bank loans work? They say up to 6x your salary or $30K, whichever is lower. So the 6x is based on one person's salary or our combined income? I'm confused. Think we need to find a bank to discuss and understand more. Headache!!!!

Maybe you can post the renovation works and people could advise which one you can don't do/postpone/must-do.

Most probably you could remove the built-in furniture works and I think the kitchen is still in good condition too.

Maybe you can post the renovation works and people could advise which one you can don't do/postpone/must-do.

Most probably you could remove the built-in furniture works and I think the kitchen is still in good condition too.

hmm, i'll try to post them up tomorrow. going to speak to the ID again tonight to see where we can cut down the costs. :) so far, i've cut about $7K off the initial quote.

here are more pics

this is the master bedroom, on the left of the picture are the cupboard slide-doors that almost fell on me when i tried to open the doors to check the condition of the cupboard.

IMG_1323.JPG

Master bathroom

IMG_1523.JPG

Bedroom 2, which I intend to join together with the master bedroom

IMG_1325.JPG

Bedroom 3, which we currently have plans to turn into an entertainment room

one funny thing we noticed is that the small cabinet below the window seemed to be there just for decorative purposes. There's only about 10cm of space in there.

IMG_1528.JPG

And all the aircons have to go, look at their current state. :(

IMG_1537.JPG

hey pinktini!

welcome! :)

do note that as with all reno, the final bill usually have alot of add-ons and removals from the quote, and more often than not, the quote is often > than the initial quote one... so look out for more contractors if u have time to slowly do ur reno k.. ;)

Got a quote back today, 51K!!!!!! After going through one round to remove stuff I don't need, it's still 46K. And this was a firm which we thought would provide lower quotes. :( So upsetting, we need to re-think what we need and don't need for the house. We're hoping to keep renovation costs under 30K.

If you are planning to go under 30k for a 5 room, think it's quite hard to get that pricing from an ID. But no harm going around first to see what IDs propose for your layout. If the price is slightly above your budget but you are very comfortable with the ID, you might still want to reconsider. I can recommend one or two whose services and ideas were quite good although i did not engage them in the end to save $. Just PM me if you want the contacts. :)

amrasenelya: yupyup, have quite a lot of time. I just need the flat to be ready by October this year.

newnyew: hehe, thanks! we bought it cos of the size and the squarish layouts, easier to put furniture. I'm hacking down a few walls to do a bigger MBR. saw ur t-blog, ur place has a very nice play on colours! i like the gold tiles in the bathroom, i saw something like that in a magazine once. and zebra prints! is that a city gas heater u're using?

coldflamez: realised that. hehe, went down to the ID ytd and told him, "OK, we need to CUT CUT CUT a lot." so we did go through the plan again and revised a lot of details. we retained some of the floor tiles, removed some of the proposed built-in cabinets, changed the materials for some of the doors. chances are, the quote can go down below $40K and still have many details of what we would like. We decided to increase our budget a little, cos $30K seems to be unable to get us what we want.

the hubby also just called him, and now we know we'll need to purchase our own lights, sanitaryware, shower set, toilet accessories, cooker hob etc. do these amount to a lot of money?? dun really know much as this is our first home.

re-wiring was also not included in the quote as he said that will depend on how many electrical points we need. would this also cost a lot??

never knew owning your own place involves such a lot of work. i've been getting headaches very often nowadays. baaa.

Edited by pinktini

I've been playing around with floorplanner, and came up with a few layouts. Here's one of the latest I came up with.

4270483813_2c83628303_o.jpg

waaahhaaa.... :o ...got office ...got piano....not bad leh... :dribble: ...beli well planned.. :good: ...cheers! :yamseng:

waaahhaaa.... :o ...got office ...got piano....not bad leh... :dribble: ...beli well planned.. :good: ...cheers! :yamseng:

hehe, thanks! since we have more ideas in mind alr, now we're considering getting a contractor instead of ID, cos heard they might be cheaper.

hehe, thanks! since we have more ideas in mind alr, now we're considering getting a contractor instead of ID, cos heard they might be cheaper.

yup ! fully agree... :bow: ..sorry to all IDs here.....but my personal opinion is i dun trust ID at all... :good: ..onli trust my ownself........of cuz chiat luck a bit lor,......must follow-up all reno details by ourself and manage contractors by ourself.....but the result is safe $$....better requirement/quality of work....self satisfactory.. :good: ..

My previous hse(major reno), I coordinated with 7 contractors: (1)Cement/Wall/plumbing works, (2)Carpentery Works, (3)electrical works,(4)Aircon, (5)Grilles, (6) laminateFlooring....and lastly the (7) is.....my wifey lor... :D ..ahhahahahhaha