Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Shu

How To Cool The Livign Room~

And I am quite hesistant to put an aircon in my living room as I heard from my contractor the load maybe my unit cannot take it and also I was thinking turning on the air con in my living room will put a hole in my pocket each mth when paying the bills.

i'm turning on my bedroom's old aircon nearly everynight until morning sometimes my mum will also on her bedroom's one also~

I'm paying around $180/mth

And my old aircon is not an INVERTOR~

Think my normal bills wifout aircon is $140+

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, for the window casement unit, do we need HDB approval?

For the water discharged, we can just throw out the window or to corridor? :P

thks.

Hi all…I’ve survived at our place for 2 years without air-con in the living room. We inherited the old system from the previous owner coz still look quite new. They have units in all three rooms but no unit in the living room. We were perfectly fine since it’s only two of us most of the time and we don’t really need the aircon in our living room.

But lately coz of the heat, I’ve been thinking of installing a unit in the living room. Also good when entertaining. It’s just freaking hot! But I’m really puzzled how I can get a unit fixed up in the living room? What are the options? Replace all existing units? Then what system should I be getting? Can I just install another single unit without touching the old one?

My living room and dining room is a T-shaped one. One long living room and to one side it’s the dining room. Do you think it’s too xiong to put a unit in the living room?

If I’m gonna install the unit, what would it take? They’ll have to do trunking along the wall is it? Gees I’m also concerned about ugly cabling. Whats the best possible way with least damage?

i survived for 23 years with no air con whatsoever at home till my reno now. even so, i do nt use my air con daily, sometimes just use fan.

so maybe, ann paul, u might like to install a ceiling fan? :) im not sure about aircon in living room cos i dont have it. :)

Hi all…I’ve survived at our place for 2 years without air-con in the living room. We inherited the old system from the previous owner coz still look quite new. They have units in all three rooms but no unit in the living room. We were perfectly fine since it’s only two of us most of the time and we don’t really need the aircon in our living room.

But lately coz of the heat, I’ve been thinking of installing a unit in the living room. Also good when entertaining. It’s just freaking hot! But I’m really puzzled how I can get a unit fixed up in the living room? What are the options? Replace all existing units? Then what system should I be getting? Can I just install another single unit without touching the old one?

My living room and dining room is a T-shaped one. One long living room and to one side it’s the dining room. Do you think it’s too xiong to put a unit in the living room?

If I’m gonna install the unit, what would it take? They’ll have to do trunking along the wall is it? Gees I’m also concerned about ugly cabling. Whats the best possible way with least damage?

I'll just regurgitate (hmm this seems to be the catchword for tonight) what i posted in familyof4's reno t-blog;

This is only my little compare and contrast of pros and cons of the various options we home-owners have for cooling our houses:

Natural air: Pro = It's free!!! Con = Depends on weather and season. Hot natural air is the reason why you're even contemplating air-con in the 1st place isn't it??

Fan: Pro = cheapest of the cooling options bah. Con = fan only improves airflow. The air is still the same temperature, it's only the windchill effect you're feeling. Humidity remains the same too.

Window Aircon: Pro = Easy to install. Mount and forget. Con = Not very cooling. Very loud! And may not be able to install on some windows

Portable Aircon: Pro = it's portable, duh. Con = quite ma fan to setup. Exhaust must aim outside the window, means that placement is not as flexible as we thought (but still the most flexible outside of using fans). Also most systems to deliver water to it are quite ley cheh as well.

Standard aircon: Pro = proven best in cooling. Con = the most irritating to install especially if your house is already all done up. Trunking needs to be laid following some strict rules and where they go will restrict your placement of furniture and home fittings. And in the end, the trunking/piping will be very ugly. Also the most expensive option.

If you want to run an additional compressor on top of the old one, it is possible but you need to check how much current you can draw first. Old hdb unit don't have the current to support and system 3 + single split aircon setup. Newer ones should be no problem but still check with the authorities or experts anyway.

As for how much cooling capacity you need, i suggest taking a measuring tape and go measure your entire area to be cooled. Not just the space you define as "living room" ok? must also add in the hallway and any connected space to the living room that cannot be cut off by any mechanism (curtain, door etc). Calculate the floor space to be cooled in sq ft and multiply by 65. Should give you an idea how powerful (in btu) an aircon you need.