Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gaku70

New Home In The East

Sorry guys, today was busy cleaning the place till evening and most of my stuff was moved in the afternoon. I have yet to unpacked and already exhausted from the cleaning and rectification.

By the way, just want to share that I believe I have made the right decision for not shifting in on Saturday morning and postponed all my shipment next week although uncle argued with me that I should have shifted while his man is doing polishing.

If I have shifting on saturday, I will have big problem doing the rectification today. So my advise is to finish the HO, clean the house thoroughly, complete those rectification that will be difficult if you have shifted in. If you cannot rectify then "bo pian" got to ask uncle to rectify and delay the HO.

pbtgal: Thanks and I am glad that the reno is behind me. I found more problems when I cleaned the house. Those that I can rectify on my own, I will to do it myself. One thing that shocked me today was that I found chopstick packaging within my wardrobe. It took me quite a while to remove it because it was hidden behind the drawers. (my fingers are too big to get in between the gaps and has to dismantled some parts of the rails)

pet: Finally shifting done. At least I can sleep well tonight instead of having to "fan" on the reno things. Really :bow: you that you are interested in reno. I told myself this will be my last.

guy77: Thanks. I hope will be 顺顺利利 as well. And I hope to don't have to go into argument again for my last payment.

familyof4: I do not mind sharing my experience but some of the forumner think that I have said too much. That's is why I would like to find out which post # so that I can review again and edit or remove if required.

kthc: Thank you for your interest in my thread. I am glad that my experience and feedback is useful for you. Yes I have finally shift my stuff in. There are many things which I had postphoned due to the delay in HO. eg. the delivery of bed, mattress, electrical appliances.

Now that the HO is done, I hope to settle the rest of delivery this coming weekend.

growler: I can understand how you feel. For the rectification which you can do it yourself, maybe you can try doing it. We can share tips of how to do simple rectification. What are the rectification that you have. By the way, have you paid the final 10%? Yes you are right, if you are on a tight schedule, it is not easy to work with uncle.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

gaku70, i don't think you have "said too much". Whoever commented that you have shared too much, should reflect why he/she said that. This is a platform for us to share our TRUE reno experience. if it's good it's good. If it's bad it's bad. To each his own and this is your thread, you have a right to share what you think will benefit the readers.

Hi gaku,

After so much "ho-ha",are u still paying Uncle the remaining 10%?

It will not be 10%. I have not discussed the issue about the remaining on that day but I am sure he know it will not be 10%. Having said that I do not want to go into argument in case of any dispute as I just want to end this reno episode and move on. I have my part to play in this as well since I have selected him as my contractor, I have to take the consequences.

gaku70, i don't think you have "said too much". Whoever commented that you have shared too much, should reflect why he/she said that. This is a platform for us to share our TRUE reno experience. if it's good it's good. If it's bad it's bad. To each his own and this is your thread, you have a right to share what you think will benefit the readers.

Although I do not know the person who commented as he remains anonymous, I know where he is coming from. I do not know why some people thought that I am a jealous contractor and try to tarnish other contractor's reputation.

Some forumners who has visited me and talked to me know that I am not a contractor. Anyway I do not how to convince others that I am not and I do not have the time. So will just let it be.

Gaku.. finally you moved in!!!! :yamseng:

Dont delete any post........ these are IMPORTANT for all to read.

Thanks smallboy. Yes finally shifted but have not fully move in yet. I still have pending delivery but at least I do not have to rent anymore. Most of my stuffs have been shifted in.

gaku70, do not let that unknown forummer affect u. like most of us said, u have a right to voice out your experiences. just that u hit your limits and that's it. nothing's wrong with that. and it is a good lesson for those who wish to engage uncle as their contractor.

Sorry guys, today was busy cleaning the place till evening and most of my stuff was moved in the afternoon. I have yet to unpacked and already exhausted from the cleaning and rectification.

By the way, just want to share that I believe I have made the right decision for not shifting in on Saturday morning and postponed all my shipment next week although uncle argued with me that I should have shifted while his man is doing polishing.

If I have shifting on saturday, I will have big problem doing the rectification today. So my advise is to finish the HO, clean the house thoroughly, complete those rectification that will be difficult if you have shifted in. If you cannot rectify then "bo pian" got to ask uncle to rectify and delay the HO.

pbtgal: Thanks and I am glad that the reno is behind me. I found more problems when I cleaned the house. Those that I can rectify on my own, I will to do it myself. One thing that shocked me today was that I found chopstick packaging within my wardrobe. It took me quite a while to remove it because it was hidden behind the drawers. (my fingers are too big to get in between the gaps and has to dismantled some parts of the rails)

pet: Finally shifting done. At least I can sleep well tonight instead of having to "fan" on the reno things. Really :bow: you that you are interested in reno. I told myself this will be my last.

guy77: Thanks. I hope will be 顺顺利利 as well. And I hope to don't have to go into argument again for my last payment.

familyof4: I do not mind sharing my experience but some of the forumner think that I have said too much. That's is why I would like to find out which post # so that I can review again and edit or remove if required.

kthc: Thank you for your interest in my thread. I am glad that my experience and feedback is useful for you. Yes I have finally shift my stuff in. There are many things which I had postphoned due to the delay in HO. eg. the delivery of bed, mattress, electrical appliances.

Now that the HO is done, I hope to settle the rest of delivery this coming weekend.

growler: I can understand how you feel. For the rectification which you can do it yourself, maybe you can try doing it. We can share tips of how to do simple rectification. What are the rectification that you have. By the way, have you paid the final 10%? Yes you are right, if you are on a tight schedule, it is not easy to work with uncle.

Hi Gaku,

Yes, i paid in full because uncle has delivered everything. That's his argument when he chase for payment.

Anyway, as a lesson learnt, never pay in full until everything is done to your satisfaction. I'm regretting making full payment after Uncle told me that he will do the rectification after that ....

blackcar: You are right that to say that he has many sub-contractors and they keep changing. I know that whenever he found that the sub-contractors have quality issue, he will stopped using them.

However, even if the sub-contractor is good, he mentioned to me that it is "heng suay" which workers this subcontractor assigned for your work.

I noticed he is outsourcing most of the work out these days.

Nah, not heng suay issue here. He needs to know the contractor well before he can engage their services. If not, he got to conduct QC regularly on them for the first few jobs. Outsourcing is a norm for the contractor even ID company. As most of them dont employ the contractors. As mentioned earlier, time and ppl management is the key issues for ah soon.

Dont be bothered abt the comment of u flaming another contractor, you are merely stating the fact!!! The truth is out there.

As for the part of compensation and payment, reason out with ah soon with fact. I m sure he can understand, no need to argue.

All the best!!!

Hi Gaku,

Read about your reno woes. I really feel for you especially on the rental part. I might be renting a place during the reno too and definitely want the HO to be firm too. And about the tiles which are hollow, I think you should still retify them. I heard that these tiles are quite dangerous as you never know when they are going to 'explode' after days of expansion/contraction during our hot and cold months. I won't want to take a chance on that esp. at the expense of my family. Beside, its gonna be even more troublesome if they 'pop' in future and you need to redo that area. However, on the other hand, I understand that time is not on your side. Do consider the retifications.

And please do not edit / delete your posts. They are real experiences. These are very useful for people like me who might have to rent a place for the reno and definitely cant afford the repeats delay in the HO.

Wishing you best of luck!! :yamseng:

Although I do not know the person who commented as he remains anonymous, I know where he is coming from. I do not know why some people thought that I am a jealous contractor and try to tarnish other contractor's reputation.

Some forumners who has visited me and talked to me know that I am not a contractor. Anyway I do not how to convince others that I am not and I do not have the time. So will just let it be.

no need to waste time explaining to anonymous folks and we all know that you are not some UFO and u are a real home owner.

I hope you will recover soon from this unpleasant episode. take care dude.

:jawdrop: Sorry to hear that. This is really carelessness of the workers ~ so scary. Can understand your frustrations here. Pat, pat.

QUOTE (gaku70 @ Jun 14 2009, 11:30 PM)

This juz proofed that the writer is plain childish. Maybe he did not ever experience tides & waves in doing reno. Reno can be a happy experience but sometimes we will get 'pek chek'. I understand how u feel esp now my completion date is facing some probs, juz hope that no delay. Sigh! Sigh!

Ivy: Thanks for believing that I am a real home owner. I do hope to forget abt the reno and move on.

Rasp: Thanks for the wishes, I needed them. Talking about rental, just want to share with you. Initially I was told my HO will be delay for a few days and so I managed to look for a one week rental. The weekly rental is more expensive and if you anticipate longer delay, it is more worthwhile to take a month rental. Two weeks of weekly rental is close to a monthly rental.

For the remaining hollow tiles, it is not that bad and the hollows are only at the corners. So not that dangerous. To be frank, the more rectification I made, the more problem I faces. For example, after rectifying the tiles, I found my carpentry damaged. And also I do not want anymore delay and argument. So will just accept it.

blackcar: From my understanding, he talk to the bosses of the third party and he doesn't know the third party workers well. The third party might use different teams of workers so quality might be different. Unless the third party is a one-man show then he is sure of his quality. Just like Ah Wei, uncle mentioned his name a few times and I can guess he is proud of his workmanship.

growler: I will take your advise and pay the balance after rectification is completed.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!! :yamseng: Best wishes and May things go smoothly for you from now.....

Thanks preciousjam.