Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pinkiedreamy

Dreamy's Love Nest

I have been advised not to mount ceiling fan on false ceiling. Long run, may crack the false ceiling.

So we decided to go for L-Box, not false ceiling so we can mount a ceiling fan in the original ceiling. (centre). :) :) :)

Hope this is helpful for you.

Yah... feel it is safer and should mount on original ceiling :)

Hey, my future neighbour.. Just chanced upon ur blog.. Anyways, here's a late congrats to u on ur getting of ur place.. Which part of sk will u be in?

Anyways, I can only suggest a few of the points only.. Hahaha..

2. I think parquet is the way to go if budget isn't a problem.. yeah, laminates have that hollow feelin..

3. Aircon will have to depend on you liao.. No harm installing one if u know one day u might use it and of course if ur budget allows to.. But like zerochristy said, ceiling fan should suffice for most ppl bah..

4. Bi fold doors with glass one very nice leh.. Hahaa.. Actually have to depend on the design also?

7. I think depends on whether u'd have guests coming now and den.. It just u 2 maybe a bar top suffices? Nowadays no hard and fast rules that houses should have dining tables la.. But maybe u can have bar counter and dining table if space permits!? Haha..

8. Hacking and relaying is definitely better den overlaying but abit more expensive for the hacking part, but it's worth the money to hack off the floor and relay the waterproofing membrane.. I remember one contractor told me something about overlaying, saying he he wont guarantee there won't be any leaks in the future if i overlay.. Best is hack la, u won't know if there's any existing problems with the current flooring, and on top of that it'll make the flooring higher.. Dat's my suggestion.. ;)

As for the ceiling fans thingy, i think dat ceiling fans should be mounted on the actual ceiling because of the weight, and also the distance from the false ceiling to ur floor is a factor.. Safest to hang it on the actual ceiling.. I initially wanted a false ceiling which stretches all the way across the middle of the ceiling, but wifey wanted a ceiling fan so had to give up that idea.. Most of the IDs would recommend making a hole on the false ceiling to accomodate the fan, but the hole will be quite big and i think it's ugly... Actually false ceilings u do on both sides or do a U shape also very nice with those cove lights.. I saw a few houses lidat, very nice! Better den L Boxes.. Can ask ur id to suggest, unless u die die must have the design of the false ceiling den maybe need a hole for it lor..

Cheers :)

thankx for the great advise.

will get our contractor to quote us, then we will decide if we want hacking anot.

of cos we wana the best reno....but oso must keep a l@@kout at our budget.

btw, my new place is near rivervale mall. =)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hihi, my 2 cents worth:

3. Wanted to have aircon in the living area. But we will not use often...so wondering if we should go ahead.

- initially our want-list as well, but in the end was glad we didnt go ahead (due to budget constraint). Thinking that if its really hot, will just hide inside the MBR where there's aircon.

7. i wanted a bar top counter at the kicthen entrance, so we can just have meals there.

But hubby say a dining table is more appropriate.

- depends on ur dining habits? I did away with dining table for the moment n bought a brkfast table from ikea for time being. We like to dine in front of the TV so most prob will spend my meals on my coffee table instead. :notti:

But a dining table is certainly more appropriate if u will be having guest quite often.

8. this is a resale unit. wondering if we shld overlay the tiles of the kitchen and toilet or should we hack then tile.

- It depends also on the tiles of ur living room. if u overlay kitchen, and happens that kitchen n living room floor is leveled, then kitchen tiles will be one step higher after overlaying? I would prefer to hack, a little more assuring that the tiles below wun 'pop'.

Yah... feel it is safer and should mount on original ceiling :)

thankx for the great advise.

will get our contractor to quote us, then we will decide if we want hacking anot.

of cos we wana the best reno....but oso must keep a l@@kout at our budget.

btw, my new place is near rivervale mall. =)

Near Rivervale mall!? Which is pretty near my place la.. My place is somewhere near the church, in fact opp the church.. Hahaa.. :) No problem on the advices, just my view la, nuthin much.. :) Good luck!

Hihi, my 2 cents worth:

3. Wanted to have aircon in the living area. But we will not use often...so wondering if we should go ahead.

- initially our want-list as well, but in the end was glad we didnt go ahead (due to budget constraint). Thinking that if its really hot, will just hide inside the MBR where there's aircon.

7. i wanted a bar top counter at the kicthen entrance, so we can just have meals there.

- depends on ur dining habits? I did away with dining table for the moment n bought a brkfast table from ikea for time being. We like to dine in front of the TV so most prob will spend my meals on my coffee table instead. :notti:

But a dining table is certainly more appropriate if u will be having guest quite often.

8. this is a resale unit. wondering if we shld overlay the tiles of the kitchen and toilet or should we hack then tile.

- It depends also on the tiles of ur living room. if u overlay kitchen, and happens that kitchen n living room floor is leveled, then kitchen tiles will be one step higher after overlaying? I would prefer to hack, a little more assuring that the tiles below wun 'pop'.

Thats what hubby say, if the weather is hot, we probably hide in the study room or bedroom since there's TV there as well. hence no need for aircon in the living room.

We will have friends coming over every now and then. so a dining table will probably be appropriate.

but it takes up space leh. cos if wanna get, will get at least a 6-8 seater, cos both side of our family rather big ...

and we love having parties and gatherings at our place.

And true, i agree that overlaying might cause the tiles to pop.

We will probably do parquet in the rooms. so hacking will be recomended else rooms and living rm flooring will be uneven...hmmm....

Near Rivervale mall!? Which is pretty near my place la.. My place is somewhere near the church, in fact opp the church.. Hahaa.. :) No problem on the advices, just my view la, nuthin much.. :) Good luck!

currently i'm staying at compassvale lane. then new place in rivervale.

my friends jokingly mentioned that in another few years, i should move on to anchorvale then fernvale, so to stay different part of sengkang. :rolleyes:

Thats what hubby say, if the weather is hot, we probably hide in the study room or bedroom since there's TV there as well. hence no need for aircon in the living room.

We will have friends coming over every now and then. so a dining table will probably be appropriate.

but it takes up space leh. cos if wanna get, will get at least a 6-8 seater, cos both side of our family rather big ...

and we love having parties and gatherings at our place.

And true, i agree that overlaying might cause the tiles to pop.

We will probably do parquet in the rooms. so hacking will be recomended else rooms and living rm flooring will be uneven...hmmm....

currently i'm staying at compassvale lane. then new place in rivervale.

my friends jokingly mentioned that in another few years, i should move on to anchorvale then fernvale, so to stay different part of sengkang. :rolleyes:

Hi Pinkiedreamy,

If you always have friends coming over, then its better to go for a dining table. Else where to dine with your friends? But I agree with metalsubzero, if possible, do a bar table + dining table.

My bro-in-law have both at home, the bar table is at the the living room (somewhere inbtw the living and balcony area), where they place their laptops and surf net there. And the cabin below the bar table holds their files etc. So that bar table actually double-up as a 'working' deck for them. Can watch tv while they surf too. :D

Will be meeting up with my contractor this saturday morning.

After discussion with hubby, decided the following: (do give comments)

1. we will go ahead with white gloss laminates and solid top for kitchen (our dog will probably let him station elsewhere in the house)

2. we are looking at homogeneous for living area and parquest/laminates for rooms.

-- can anyone enlighten me, parquet or laminate is better?

4. Will go for glass or stainless steel hob. induction hob consumes more electricity - hubby say no no

5. balcony door, bifold door or sliding door? - anyone seen any nice white/ creamy white bi fold doors?

6. i want to have a island in the kitchen. but it will result in 60cm walkway on each side. isit too narrow?

Really appreciate all the feedbacks. cos now really HEAD BIg BIg :bangwall:

1. I think white kitchen look very nice. But need quite some efforts to maintance its look.

2. No idea. We never do laminate/parquet before.

3. I think air-con in living/dining area is mainly for gathering at home. So depend on whether you guys always have guest over.

4. We are thinking of induction hob as we don't have government gas piping at home. I think stainless steel hob quite easy to clean as my mum always keep them sparkling clean. No experience with glass hob.

5. The common balcony door are the sliding ones. I think white/creamy bifold glass door have an elegant look.

6. 60cm on both side.. then do you have any kitchen cabinet at either sides? if there is, have to check if the doors/ drawers can open properly. I think the kitchen might look narrow.

7. My own preference is dining table, as I don't like to climb up those top chairs.

8. The best is to hack and lay as we don't know the condition of the current flooring. And like mentioned earlier by the others, the floor won't look too high and more spacious.

Just to share my views with you. :)

1. I think white kitchen look very nice. But need quite some efforts to maintance its look.

2. No idea. We never do laminate/parquet before.

3. I think air-con in living/dining area is mainly for gathering at home. So depend on whether you guys always have guest over.

4. We are thinking of induction hob as we don't have government gas piping at home. I think stainless steel hob quite easy to clean as my mum always keep them sparkling clean. No experience with glass hob.

5. The common balcony door are the sliding ones. I think white/creamy bifold glass door have an elegant look.

6. 60cm on both side.. then do you have any kitchen cabinet at either sides? if there is, have to check if the doors/ drawers can open properly. I think the kitchen might look narrow.

7. My own preference is dining table, as I don't like to climb up those top chairs.

8. The best is to hack and lay as we don't know the condition of the current flooring. And like mentioned earlier by the others, the floor won't look too high and more spacious.

Just to share my views with you. :)

my initial idea to have aircon is to on it when friends come over.

we will look at our budget and decide again.

so living room aircon --> KIV :)

currently my mum and I are using glass hob. so far the miantenace quite oki.

have seen pple with stainless steel ones and they dun clean it, so it looks :unsure:

but definitely induction hob is out. cos i dun wanna be blamed for high electrical bills :D

and yeah..i'm looking for white/creamy bifold doors with glass...saw one in a magazine...but duno where to find.

oh...i din think about opening thekitchen cabinet door and drawer. totally forgot about it.

guess it will be cramp.

i will just stick to one long kitchen cabinet....haha....so at least my kitchen looks spacious.

We will go look around for dining tables le.

cos hubby say i wont wan to climb a high chair if im preggie in future...and old folks dun like high chair.

since we will have family gathering, somehow gotto consider that point.

Edited by pinkiedreamy

My personal opinion as follwos :

2. we are looking at homogeneous for living area and parquest/laminates for rooms.

-- can anyone enlighten me, parquet or laminate is better? [b]I've got 2 young boys at home, who loves to drag things on the floor, as such, I will be going for laminates because if laminates are scratched/damaged, replacement cost cheaper. Maintenance wise also easier. Of course will have to live with the hollow feel. I am choosing practicality over asethetic due to having young kids at home. Your doggie like to "file" his/her nails on the floor or not??

3. Wanted to have aircon in the living area. But we will not use often...so wondering if we should go ahead. I think air con for living area is a bit luxurious, unless u entertain alot.

4. Will go for glass or stainless steel hob. induction hob consumes more electricity - hubby say no no - me chose glass hob cos it loos preeeettty!!! but I seldom cook much. I've read horror tales of the glass cracking due to heat though. Induction hob is not for heavy/serios cooking whereby you want to control big/small fire. Also you can't use traditional wok on a induction hob.

6. i want to have a island in the kitchen. but it will result in 60cm walkway on each side. isit too narrow? sounds a bit tight to me

But hubby say a dining table is more appropriate. - I am doing away with my dining table cos the last set I had for the past 6 years hardly use. We seldom eat at home and even when we do, we eat at coffee table. So decided to clear off dining room and convert to play area for kids. To compensate that, I am asking my contractor to fabricate a set of bench look alike tables and chairs which I can stack and put aside when I dun need them. Pictures are on my t-blog page 2 or 3 i think. However like what the rest shared, if u always have visitors over for makan, better to have proper dining table.

8. this is a resale unit. wondering if we shld overlay the tiles of the kitchen and toilet or should we hack then tile. - i always think relay is safer than overlay. Overlay what if the below layer condition no good and pop? it'll affect the new layer right? also it'll add on the the ht.

so the above are just my thoughts. :D

My personal opinion as follwos :

-- can anyone enlighten me, parquet or laminate is better? [b]I've got 2 young boys at home, who loves to drag things on the floor, as such, I will be going for laminates because if laminates are scratched/damaged, replacement cost cheaper. Maintenance wise also easier. Of course will have to live with the hollow feel. I am choosing practicality over asethetic due to having young kids at home. Your doggie like to "file" his/her nails on the floor or not??

3. Wanted to have aircon in the living area. But we will not use often...so wondering if we should go ahead. I think air con for living area is a bit luxurious, unless u entertain alot.

4. Will go for glass or stainless steel hob. induction hob consumes more electricity - hubby say no no - me chose glass hob cos it loos preeeettty!!! but I seldom cook much. I've read horror tales of the glass cracking due to heat though. Induction hob is not for heavy/serios cooking whereby you want to control big/small fire. Also you can't use traditional wok on a induction hob.

6. i want to have a island in the kitchen. but it will result in 60cm walkway on each side. isit too narrow? sounds a bit tight to me

But hubby say a dining table is more appropriate. - I am doing away with my dining table cos the last set I had for the past 6 years hardly use. We seldom eat at home and even when we do, we eat at coffee table. So decided to clear off dining room and convert to play area for kids. To compensate that, I am asking my contractor to fabricate a set of bench look alike tables and chairs which I can stack and put aside when I dun need them. Pictures are on my t-blog page 2 or 3 i think. However like what the rest shared, if u always have visitors over for makan, better to have proper dining table.

8. this is a resale unit. wondering if we shld overlay the tiles of the kitchen and toilet or should we hack then tile. - i always think relay is safer than overlay. Overlay what if the below layer condition no good and pop? it'll affect the new layer right? also it'll add on the the ht.

so the above are just my thoughts. :D

Another Ah Soon fan =)

can PM me his contacts?

no harm meeting out with him and see if he can work within my budget.

cos now Im considering the contractor who did my place 5 years back.

he did a good job, but we still wan see look and see who can give a better deal.

Once awhile, my dog will dig the floor, as if looking for bones. hahha....

we tot of this....but if parquet/laminate in rooms, then at least still safe. cos he always ard us....if in room, we can keep eye on him.

we can't do away with a dining table le.

cos hubby's fengshui shifu say....a home canot be without a dining table.

Dining table is the place tat brings everyone together... more complete...

so now have to source a nice nice one.

Saw your set of stackable tables and chairs. looks cool.

You are really a practical person...hee

will show hubby the pictures tonight =)

After reading all the feedbacks,

I've roughly an idea what i want.

thanks alot. It is really helpful :D

Erm...now one more thing,

I wanna to wall paper for my whole house.

Understand that Goodrich has beautiful wallpapers

http://www.goodrichglobal.com/english.htm

Anyone knows of anyone who used Goodrich wallpaper for whole house?

I know it is not going to be cheap.

but have no idea how much is will cost.

Wanna do wall paper cos it gives a different feel compared to paintings on wall.

Hope to hear from all of you.

Now is really doing homework time, so that once i get my keys...i will know what i want =)

mrspiglet & Metalsubzero

both of you engaged Ah soon to be your contractor..erm...is it convenient to share your quotations with me?

Not a problem, u can read it in my T-Blog.. But I'd drop u a PM later anyways.. :)

My dog will stand and scratch, so even suspense, he can also reach.

did ask about quartz. this ID quoted be rather high, more ex than granite.

whereas when i ask other IDs, some same quote as granite.

decided not to do up an expensive kitchen top since I don't really cook often. so decided to save the money on other areas.

Hi Pinkiedreamy,

I missed this post. If you don't mind, can you pm me the rough cost of the quartz that those IDs quoted you? I am trying to work out my budget.

Thanks in advance.