Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hasibee

Leather Sofa Vs Fabric Sofa

I m stuck in a dilemma. Not sure which is better and durable.. Leather or Fabric ?

Which is easier to maintain ?

What are the Pros and Cons ?

What kind of problems you face with your leather or fabric sofa ?

What would be your choice if you have to get a sofa ?

What do you think of fabric sofas from Ikea ?

I would appreciate your input as we can't decide and would like to hear from owners...

Edited by hasibee

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Leather is easier to maintain but more expensive. Limited patterns & colours, unlike fabric.

Fabric is cheaper but need extra care not to stain it. Imagine you accidentally spill over a cup of coffee over your fabric sofa? If you are going for fabric, try to look for something that allows you to wash/replace the cover & cushion easily.

Some says leather sofa tends to get warm easily while sitting on it, but some says only faked leather & those not 100% real leather have this problem.

I am using the fabric sofa from IKEA. I bought 2 Poang armchairs from them to serve as my sofa. I don't drink coffee or tea, so lesser chance to stain it.

Edited by yokine9a

the existing sofa i bought from Sea Horse in Sept 2006. SO far crack n spoil already.

At the time when i bought, the salesman told me it's genuine. I have no kids or pet at home. Only me and my hubby. Yet just 2 yrs n it's gone case.

I doubt it was genuine leather. when sofa hunting now, i don't know whether i should trust the salesman when he say it's 100 % genuine leather.

i was thinking abt the same on Fabric Sofa. I was told it traps dust easily too. the one i saw in IKEA was Tylosand. Covers are removable. But they don't have much fabric choice even though these sofas come with 5 yrs warranty.

i actually love leather but after my experience with the current sofa, I don't know if i should risk getting another leather one, only to be spoilt in 2 - 3 yrs.

How would i know if the sofa is really leather ? Salesman these days are not so truthful...

my budget it around 3K. So if any of u have suggestions for good trustworthy brand, i don't mind checking them out.

furniture club is selling sofa with special belgium fabric whereby is water-proof.. the fabric itself comes with a special threading to prevent the water from sip in..

so if accidentally some water is pour on it, still be be wipe away.. easier to maintain.. different colours available as well... and heard from the sales guy, can be remove for machine wash.. bt i think the cost will be on a higher side if such fabric is chosen..

Thanks very much everyone for the info. I will checkout Furniture Club on this. Didn't know such fabric sofas existed.

I came across Barang Barang and Lorenzo. Some really very comfortable and within our budget. However i'm not sure abt the quality, after-sales service.

Anyone bought sofa from these 2 places ? Your reviews ? Which is better in terms of quality and service ? Any complains on these 2 ?

i use to hv full leather sofa, but if u dun take care or maintain... it'll crack or hv mould.... :curse:

now I'm using ikea fabric sofas.... nice n comfortable.... i choose those dark colors ones...

If kaisu abit then buy those can change the covers type..... so that u'll hv diff colors during each change....

always new sofa.....kekeke...... :P

Onli thing is just remember not to spill any drinks on it lor.

hope this helps

cheers pal :yamseng:

For Leather Sofa would like to recommend HTL as they make excellent leather sofas - also should be ok given your $3,000 budget

Their sales are mostly direct from the factory hence you need to drop by on weekends to check it out

(can google HTL for more infos)

for me i wont gv a big budget for sofa,max is 1k

u can buy on SALE one , and if can hv good in quality is the best.

for me i prefer leather, its need 3-4year before spoilt , and on that time u already bored with ur sofa too and just change the new one , but fabric once u hv stain ur heart will start to pain liao.. :notti:

Genuine leather sofa could go a long way if it is properly maintained i.e. not constantly being exposed to direct sunlight and regularly polish it with leathercare.

But I choose a fabric sofa since I am the lazy kind... 8|

But for Fabric, at least this is what i heard from the salesperson, that for fabric, you can still take out the fabric to wash no doubt, but its very difficult to remove and put back. And also for the cushion, think need to regualary air the thing else will have smell.

As for me, I do regulary polish my sofa, and its really very nice, but true, the cost of the leather care can be quite ex.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks TYM for the suggestion. I will check it out this weekend.

I current sofa is leather and i bought from Sea Horse for $800: 3 seater n one lounge (L shape). The sales man told me it's genuine leather. I thought it was a good deal. But it's only 2 yrs only now and it's all cracked up and the layers are peeling.

We don't have kids at home. From the peel, I can tell that it's definitely not full genuine leather. Got conned by the salesperson... Like some say, you get what you paid for.

So this time we increased our budget, really want to research and make sure we are not conned again. I can definitely tell u, it's impossible to get genuine full leather sofa for 1K. If u can get, that must be bycast leather or PU (synthetic leather). U can only get a recliner maybe... that's too nowadays difficult to find one under 1K.

We reccee a few shops yesterday. Went to Castilla, full leather 5 seater (4 of them is recliner), high back, inclusive of delivery + gst + leather cleaner kit , was quoted $4200. It was a good deal but it wasn't so soft and comfy to sit it. Also the recliner mechanism isn't so smooth.

Checked out Cellini, full leather, 5 seater (4 of them recliner), high back , inclusive of gst+deliver+ leather cleaner kit = $3670. The leather was comfy n soft, recliner mechanism was smooth too. without recliner, cheapest we could find at both places were around $2900+.

We gonna check out the rest of the suggested places this weekend. I think my 3K budget also not enough, must top up a big more :(

i think leather easier to maintain, just need to wipe with a plain wet cloth once a week to remove the dust or dust off with feather duster. Once every few months just apply leather kit.

Fabric is cheaper but need to really take care from spills, dust can set in, must air the cushion in the sun at least once a month to make sure no smell, was cushion cover... just thinking of the work makes me tired... i don't think i have the time lor...

In fact was at Furniture Club the other day and really the sofas there are indeed very nice. For a decent L-shape sofa, I was quoted $2.7k (the original stated price was $3.6k). Think you can drop by there and take a look.

Thanks TYM for the suggestion. I will check it out this weekend.

I current sofa is leather and i bought from Sea Horse for $800: 3 seater n one lounge (L shape). The sales man told me it's genuine leather. I thought it was a good deal. But it's only 2 yrs only now and it's all cracked up and the layers are peeling.

We don't have kids at home. From the peel, I can tell that it's definitely not full genuine leather. Got conned by the salesperson... Like some say, you get what you paid for.

So this time we increased our budget, really want to research and make sure we are not conned again. I can definitely tell u, it's impossible to get genuine full leather sofa for 1K. If u can get, that must be bycast leather or PU (synthetic leather). U can only get a recliner maybe... that's too nowadays difficult to find one under 1K.

We reccee a few shops yesterday. Went to Castilla, full leather 5 seater (4 of them is recliner), high back, inclusive of delivery + gst + leather cleaner kit , was quoted $4200. It was a good deal but it wasn't so soft and comfy to sit it. Also the recliner mechanism isn't so smooth.

Checked out Cellini, full leather, 5 seater (4 of them recliner), high back , inclusive of gst+deliver+ leather cleaner kit = $3670. The leather was comfy n soft, recliner mechanism was smooth too. without recliner, cheapest we could find at both places were around $2900+.

We gonna check out the rest of the suggested places this weekend. I think my 3K budget also not enough, must top up a big more :(

i think leather easier to maintain, just need to wipe with a plain wet cloth once a week to remove the dust or dust off with feather duster. Once every few months just apply leather kit.

Fabric is cheaper but need to really take care from spills, dust can set in, must air the cushion in the sun at least once a month to make sure no smell, was cushion cover... just thinking of the work makes me tired... i don't think i have the time lor...

$3k is definitely more than enough la....

go and look at Univonna outlets.

they got one shop in beach road, furniture mall.

$3k can buy any one of their sofa, and still got spare change......

i ordered my leather sofa there. delivery takes 10 days or less.