Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oekintaro

Instant Shower Water Heater Explode And Catch Fire!

Hi all,

Recently I renovated my Master bedroom and the attached bathroom only. But a few days after the reno works are completed, something happened to the water heater in my common bathroom yesterday morning.

While my mum was taking a shower, the instant water heater suddenly exploded and there were 2 loud "POP" sound. Then it was followed by a small fire burning inside the heater. There were strong burning smell but luckily the fire extinguished by itself after a 20 seconds.

It was extremely fortunate that my mum was not hurt in this incident, but it was definitely life-threatening. She could have lost her life through electrical shock or could have been hurt by the fire or explosion.

I am very upset about what happened and certainly want to find out the cause of it. I am wondering is it due to a faulty heater itself, or is it poor installation workmanship. This water heater is only 1 year old, so it cannot be due to natural wear and tear. In any case, even when a heater is too old it should not explode and catch fire. It should just break down and stop working thats all. My previous heater worked fine for 8 years even when i replaced it with this one. I am also wondering could it be due to the reno works done recently. But should not be because I didnt do anything to the common bathroom. Anyway I already tried calling up the manufacturer today but they are closed on weekend. Got to try again on Monday.

Does any forumer here have any similar experience? Is there any organisation or government body that i should report this incident to?

Please advise. Thanks alot.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

Recently I renovated my Master bedroom and the attached bathroom only. But a few days after the reno works are completed, something happened to the water heater in my common bathroom yesterday morning.

While my mum was taking a shower, the instant water heater suddenly exploded and there were 2 loud "POP" sound. Then it was followed by a small fire burning inside the heater. There were strong burning smell but luckily the fire extinguished by itself after a 20 seconds.

It was extremely fortunate that my mum was not hurt in this incident, but it was definitely life-threatening. She could have lost her life through electrical shock or could have been hurt by the fire or explosion.

I am very upset about what happened and certainly want to find out the cause of it. I am wondering is it due to a faulty heater itself, or is it poor installation workmanship. This water heater is only 1 year old, so it cannot be due to natural wear and tear. In any case, even when a heater is too old it should not explode and catch fire. It should just break down and stop working thats all. My previous heater worked fine for 8 years even when i replaced it with this one. I am also wondering could it be due to the reno works done recently. But should not be because I didnt do anything to the common bathroom. Anyway I already tried calling up the manufacturer today but they are closed on weekend. Got to try again on Monday.

Does any forumer here have any similar experience? Is there any organisation or government body that i should report this incident to?

Please advise. Thanks alot.

:jawdrop::jawdrop:

hi why dont u list down the brand name here as to help other plp from making this mistake

I didnt write down the brand in my first post because i want to first investigate and confirm and cause. Just to be fair to the manufacturer. Anyway the brand is quite common and i bought it from a mega electrical chain store. So far I searched online I havent come across anyone with similar experience or anyone having problem with this brand of water heater. But if anyone really want to know the brand, you can message me privately.

Sounds like a short circuit. That could be due to several reasons, from factory defects to bad installation to human's factor (eg accidentally sprayed water at vital parts, or leaking water). Did your circuit breaker cut off the power?

Could have called the manufacturer to investigate, if they are honourable enough they should do it. At least you will get some answers...

Yes the circuit breaker did cut off the power.

I just called up the manufacturer this morning and the technician will come tomorrow. Lets see what they have to say about it.

can tell us the brand?

this is for our safety as well

i mean electrical stuff is not 100% fool proof

but u never knw the same product could cause more damage in the future

can tell us the brand?

this is for our safety as well

i mean electrical stuff is not 100% fool proof

but u never knw the same product could cause more damage in the future

Just now I drank a can of Coca-Cola, choke on it and kept coughing for a good 5mins. So now I tell you this, are you going to avoid drinking Coca-Cola because someone had choked on it? But what you didn't know was that I "kay-kiang" tried to drink it while lying down on my sofa.

I think its only fair to name the manufacturer only if the incident's cause was directly due to them.

Edited by zirhk3355

I ever kenna once in my previous old flat; thk smoke get into my mouth.

Then I remembered the time when I had the Instant water heater instal, the electrician said the temperature can only adjust to the max. of no. 3.

This is becos IWH using 250v, u need to run a separate line as in aircon but I just use the standard pt supplied by HDB and at that time, both aircon n wh need submission to HDB.

I ever kenna once in my previous old flat; thk smoke get into my mouth.

Then I remembered the time when I had the Instant water heater instal, the electrician said the temperature can only adjust to the max. of no. 3.

This is becos IWH using 250v, u need to run a separate line as in aircon but I just use the standard pt supplied by HDB and at that time, both aircon n wh need submission to HDB.

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience.

So finally the technician had come to my house yesterday. I wasnt at home but after he repaired it, we spoke on the phone. He said that the thing that popped and burnt was the connector between the electrical power wire and the instant heater. So bascially the heater is still fine and intact. He said the most likely reason could be the electrical wire was not screwed or connected properly, thus a high resistance is created at the connector. And with such high current flowing, over heating will occur and the connector will melt and burn. So most probably its due to poor installation workmanship, but he don't want to point finger at anyone.

He changed the connector for free and now the heater is up and running again.

I also asked him is it a common problem for this brand and model. He replied that he is a sub-contractor and does servicing for various brands, and this problem does not happen for this brand only, it can happen to any brand and model.

So to those who are buying and installing new heater, not only do you have to choose a good brand and model at affordable prices, you have to also make sure the installation work is properly done.

Just now I drank a can of Coca-Cola, choke on it and kept coughing for a good 5mins. So now I tell you this, are you going to avoid drinking Coca-Cola because someone had choked on it? But what you didn't know was that I "kay-kiang" tried to drink it while lying down on my sofa.

I think its only fair to name the manufacturer only if the incident's cause was directly due to them.

so better not to kay kiang la

:dancingqueen:

hehe

agreed with the above analogy

Recently my water heater also caught fire. now pending for the technician to come to check.

Is there anyone with the same case?

My reply may be late, but just sharing my experience. Usually it is due to short circuit at the wire connecting to the water heater. This can happen because the wire get in touch with water during shower or bathroom cleaning, or poor connection during installation. To fix it, change the wire and the water heater can be reuse. However, if the short circuit impact is big, then will have to replace the water heater too.

My advice is to get water heater and installation service directly from the company that distribute the water heater, or from a case trust supplier. Do not engage those 24 hour service advertised in internet, they are 'ah long' and no way to find them back if they do a bochap job. I had a bad experience. The advertisement put 'free on site inspection and quotation'. A tatoo man came, quoted $500 to fix wire and unknown brand water heater. I rejected. Then he demanded $50 transportation saying this is market practice. I didn't give him a single cent.