Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gidler

Am I Expecting Too Much

First of all, I'm a newbie here. Thanks to everyone, I've gotten valuable information from this forum while hunting for ID to do up my new home.

Recently, I met up with one of the shortlisted ID from a reputable company. Although its a short 1 hour meeting, it makes me wonder what exactly is their value add to my renovation. During the first meeting, I will expect the ID to do a profile of my family, to talk to us and understand our lifestyle, habits and likes/dislikes. At the very least, he/she should show us some ID works and listen to our comments, thereby creating a mental of design/theme/colors/mood that appeal to us. On the contrary, the ID simply ask standard questions such as "What do you ntend to do with the master bedroom?", "Do you want a feature wall?", "Do you want a wet/dry kitchen?". Shouldn't he be the one whom do all the design rather than asking me back the questions? Worst of all, he is doing a salesman job of explaining how good is their laminate floor and how innovative is their drawer system in kitchen cabinet.

I wonder, when he was told that we wanted a "comfortable and cozy" living room, does he really know our definition of "comfortable and cozy". If not, how on earth is he going to come up with the quotation? Or am I simply going to get a run of the mill standard package that everyone is getting from classified ads.

The reason I'm posting this is to hear from everyone your experience and expectation in dealing with ID. Am I the only odd ball here with unreasonable expectations or simply bad luck for my first encounter? Really makes me wonder should I even continue to the second shortlisted ID.

Lastly, wanted to wish everyone a Merry X'mas and Happy New Year ahead. :sport-smiley-003:

Cheers,

Gidler

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
First of all, I'm a newbie here. Thanks to everyone, I've gotten valuable information from this forum while hunting for ID to do up my new home.

Recently, I met up with one of the shortlisted ID from a reputable company. Although its a short 1 hour meeting, it makes me wonder what exactly is their value add to my renovation. During the first meeting, I will expect the ID to do a profile of my family, to talk to us and understand our lifestyle, habits and likes/dislikes. At the very least, he/she should show us some ID works and listen to our comments, thereby creating a mental of design/theme/colors/mood that appeal to us. On the contrary, the ID simply ask standard questions such as "What do you ntend to do with the master bedroom?", "Do you want a feature wall?", "Do you want a wet/dry kitchen?". Shouldn't he be the one whom do all the design rather than asking me back the questions? Worst of all, he is doing a salesman job of explaining how good is their laminate floor and how innovative is their drawer system in kitchen cabinet.

I wonder, when he was told that we wanted a "comfortable and cozy" living room, does he really know our definition of "comfortable and cozy". If not, how on earth is he going to come up with the quotation? Or am I simply going to get a run of the mill standard package that everyone is getting from classified ads.

The reason I'm posting this is to hear from everyone your experience and expectation in dealing with ID. Am I the only odd ball here with unreasonable expectations or simply bad luck for my first encounter? Really makes me wonder should I even continue to the second shortlisted ID.

Lastly, wanted to wish everyone a Merry X'mas and Happy New Year ahead. :sport-smiley-003:

Cheers,

Gidler

hi Gidler, welcome n Merry X'mas to u. straight to the point, me juz find that u r a little bit of impatient 8| ...hee no hard feeling hor. my advise to u is that go to more IDs, sit down n talk to them, n I mean really get their quotation n listen to what they have to offer... hee then u will noe there r all types of IDs around... fyi me n my wife went to more than 15 IDs(in fact lost count liao) narrow down to 5, go to them again, then to 2, meet them again, and finally to my present ID. :notti: So dun worry, what u need now is ur precious time n u will enjoy it. good luck on ur ID hunting. :dancingqueen:

Just wanted to share somethings...I haven met with much IDs. Total about 3.

First which was a plain sales talk. No asking of concepts etc.

Second and third were better. gidler, the most important thing is that the ID needs to know what you are expecting. A modern home? A resort style home? He needs some ideas to start creating more ideas. I think it will be quite unreasonable to give his a blank and make him create something you like.

What I converse with the IDs were mainly just what style I wanted. Modern? Zen? Resort? Then also what equipment I will be putting into the place. Do I cook often? etc. The kind of questions that get him understand more into what you are looking for.

For me, abit different.

Just straight to the point what I want.

give me a quote and see the worksmanship and the price.

Other than that, nothing interest me.

Anyway, do source for more id...the more you source, the more you learn.

dont just pinpoint one and case close. find a few more. the more quote and merrier. as u will know what you urself want and what is the lifestyle u want it.

no offence to u.

dont expect ID to know ur lifestyle on what likes and dislike. he get pay for design. not for talking to you to check ur habits. ID are "interior designer not counselor. if they just talk to you i think he/she can change job. :sport-smiley-003:

17 quotation i get narrow down to one.. now staying in my completed house..

make it a point both u and ur partner must agree with and share the same thoughts on the id u select.. if the both of u cannot agree that id no 1 or id no 2 is the better choice.. go for next..

u wont want in e midle of reno when things happen, it make ur relationship shaky..

there's no one id that satisy all.. continue to search and u should find somemone both u and ur partner are happy with.. when one party has disagreement, there bounds to be prob..

good luck in ur search..

hi Gidler, its normal for u to feel this way la :sport-smiley-018:

i have the same thinking with you too during my first few meetings with different ID

but when u meet more ID, u will know that most ID are like that, they will ask u what u want..

after u see more ID, u will roughly know what u want already..

for me, my 1-3 seen ID, i also duno what i want, i asked them directly to give me recommendations. i tell them that my mind is very blank, duno what to do

my 4-8 seen ID, i straight away say i want this and this and that

then i asked abt 6 of my 8 seen IDs to re-quote again the final quote i want

enjoy your reno process, its fun =)

Dear all,

Thanks heaps for the comment and reply.

Geez, to talk to > 10 IDs sounds like tremendous amount of patience and effort.. Will be almost mission impossible for me with 3 kids tagging along :P

I guess I will continue with the search and hopefully find one that "behaves" the correct way.. :sport-smiley-018:

Will share with everyone my experience and eventually the end result in a blog..

Cheers,

GIdler

I guess I will continue with the search and hopefully find one that "behaves" the correct way.. :sport-smiley-018:

The ID that u are thinking of... are the true professional Interior Designers, which typically charges close to 30K to 70K simply for consultancy alone, exclude the works to be done. They are the ones that developers use for showflats, and are normally associated with professional firms who do not advertise.

Most IDs out there.. are more like project managers, who deliver what the customer wants, rather than brainstorm/trendset for the client.

There are many retail ID firms out there who do brainstorm for the client, but be prepared to pay for consultancy.

personally, i believe that an Interior Designer should be someone who designs the unit into something that suits the occupiers

that's the reason why i decided to go for a contractor afterall

if i'm going to pay 10% of my renovation cost so that I tell THEM what to do, i might as well save the money and use it to buy other things !! :bleah:

First, you must realise there is no exam, certification or licensing needed to be an ID, unlike architects or PE's. In other words, every tom, dick or harry can call himself an ID.

Their first question is always, did you bring your floor plan? Not what is your lifestyle, what type of person are you, what are your hobbies, what type of influences have shaped you, etc.

They can instantly pull out standard templates for "balinese", "zen", "tropical resort", "contemporary", "minimalist", etc. But if you ask them why things are done in a certain way, you'll get a blank. If you ask them to innovate, you'll get nothing-- all they can do is ape what they see in the magazines.

If you read my blog you'll understand why. Most ID's have no training in fine arts at all! I would be surprised if any of them have a Masters in Fine Arts qualification.

2nd, you must realise that most ID companies are really renovation companies in sheep's clothing. They call themselves ID firms to move up the value chain, but their business models have not really evolved.

3rd, if you want a real ID, you must be prepared to pay. A lot. Then you'll get someone who understands design, form and function, and who will spend time to understand how to make things work for you. You probably need someone who does high-end condos and landed, and someone who has no interest in doing the reno per se-- in other words, he's independent of the renovation firm, and he bills you for the design drawings only, not for the renovation work.

Unfortunately, the Singapore market is dominated by HDB owners whose budgets are usually not so high as to afford a professional ID, hence it's really hard to find a genuine ID, even at well-known firms.

Should you go to your second shortlisted ID? Well, ask if they have an MFA before you go. Or lower your expectations.

Wai Leong

Lastly, wanted to wish everyone a Merry X'mas and Happy New Year ahead. !!

Cheers,

Gidler

Edited by waileong

personally, i believe that an Interior Designer should be someone who designs the unit into something that suits the occupiers

that's the reason why i decided to go for a contractor afterall

if i'm going to pay 10% of my renovation cost so that I tell THEM what to do, i might as well save the money and use it to buy other things !! !!

nowadays all these IDs are just contractors with pretty clothes.

if i'm going to pay 10% of my renovation cost so that I tell THEM what to do, i might as well save the money and use it to buy other things !! !!

This is a statement that I agree totally. :dribble:

Judging from the feedback, I guess I need to lower my expectation on ID. Then again, I think they will have to work harder for their part of the money.. haha..

GIdler

I also have 3 kids...source for more than 10 id/contractors...ups and downs...

I am sure you can do it!

Not a overnite solution, it takes times to really shortlisted id/contractors.

Dear all,

Thanks heaps for the comment and reply.

Geez, to talk to > 10 IDs sounds like tremendous amount of patience and effort.. Will be almost mission impossible for me with 3 kids tagging along :rofl:

I guess I will continue with the search and hopefully find one that "behaves" the correct way.. :)

Will share with everyone my experience and eventually the end result in a blog..

Cheers,

GIdler