Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Nipponho

Crystal Lights Question

Hi,

I have some lighting problems which I don’t know what is the best way to solve. Any experienced souls here kind enough to guide me? I just got keys for my 3I hdb, excited but stressed like crazy. Stressed bec of ignorance.

My living room is a pathetic 2850 X 6800, 3I old model & bec of this I want to use a chandelier or crystal lighting to enhance the aesthetics. The problem with crystal lights is that it is very warm & energy consuming, so it is not suitable for nightly use if you do not switch on aircon. So I intend to switch on the chandelier on cool nights, or weekends when friends come over, or when I feel moody. On daily use, I intend to have energy saving options that is bright.

Fengshui master says ceiling must not be too messy or too much patterns or cramped, will cause stress. It’s ugly to have a 40watt circular lamp side by side with chandelier. I also don’t want to invest in false ceiling, the ceiling looks lower. There is already cornice, but the cornice is designed such that only the 4 corners allows lights. Middle of perimeter is too thin to install any lights.

Question :

Panasonic 40 watts extra bright circular lamp can light up a living room. But I saw some Philips tornado lights, it says 20 watts amplified to 100 watts. Does it mean that 1 or 2 Philips is bright enough for at least half the living room? If yes, I can install 2 or 3 (without casing) besides crystal lights. Philips lights is small, and can be easily “obliterated” by the ling ling long long crystals.

Another alternative is to buy horizontal metal support & drill onto wall below the perimeter of cornice, & then fix 2 or 3 philips bulbs on both sides of the living room. If I do like this and tilt the bulbs to point to the centre of living room, can the 20 watts bulbs deliver lights to the middle of the hall, is it bright enough? Halogen lights look nice without any casings but Philips lights look ugly if exposed.

My problem now is I need bulbs that are small like Philips, yet bright yet energy save.

Help me! Immense gratitude.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Nipponho,

By reading at the problem you have, what you need is actually 2 sets of track lighting install at each side of your crystal chandelier. The track light you must get is actually those using GU10 holder. Get the Megaman GU10 energy saving bulb. You can get the effect of the Megaman GU10 energy saving bulb just like you are using the halogen. In that case, you will not spoiled the look of your crystal chandelier and yet you can have the requests you required. :)

Edited by snowhusky

Hi Snowhusky,

Thanks!

Can you describe track lighting? I guess you are referring to those circular metal that supports 4 or 5 lights. Ikea sells one like this, can even bend it to become oval or odd shape. I can surround the chandelier with it, but when I enquired from the salesman, I was told that it allows only halogen. Have u seen one that allows energy saving bulb? Where to find it?

Can u elaborate more, why megaman not philips or osram?

Sorry for my ignorance

Hi Nipponho,

There are alots of nicer looking ones in most of the lighting shop in balestier. Don't get lights from Ikea, you will face alots of problem with their lighting. Actually I am working in the Biggest lighting showroom located in balestier. I do have alots of customers which have thier existing lighting from Ikea, and spoiled within a few weeks or months. Then they come to me and look for new lights for thier home. As for the bulb, only Megaman produce those energy light bulb to go with those halogen holder. Others brands don't produce such bulb. BTW, I am working in L C Lighting Centre, located in Shaw PLaza, 2nd level. You can come and look for me if you are intrested. !!

snowhusky (YongSheng)

Hi Snowhusky,

Thanks!

Can you describe track lighting? I guess you are referring to those circular metal that supports 4 or 5 lights. Ikea sells one like this, can even bend it to become oval or odd shape. I can surround the chandelier with it, but when I enquired from the salesman, I was told that it allows only halogen. Have u seen one that allows energy saving bulb? Where to find it?

Can u elaborate more, why megaman not philips or osram?

Sorry for my ignorance

Thanks Yong Sheng, I might have popped into your shop last weekend unknowingly. I was at balestier, and i went to i think at least 6 shops. I heard those at balestier are more commercial.

I went to Jalan Besar a few days ago, they taught me quite a fair bit, now i know what is E27, gu10, e14, lumens, watts, lm/w, all these technical technical terms. Soon i can become salesman. But i did not buy anything from them, so paisay. Now i know what is track lighting u are talking about.

Shops has more range and variety than Ikea. But ikea has one thing that i did not see at shops, synthetic crystal lamp.